News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

line lock

Started by jeepee, July 13, 2006, 12:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepee

How do i installed the line lock is it on the front brakes or the rear brake?I many videos i see that they make a burn out and then slow drive away with the back wheels still smoke how do they do that?

Jeepee

Blown70

You do not need a line lock to do that.  Line lock is on the front brakes and is usually activated with a switch or button.  You can do a proportionig valve for what you want to do.  Maybe cheaper.

Tom

Mefirst

Cut the brake line going to the rear brakes. Mount the linelock valve. Hook up the electric wires to a On/Off switch. Bleed the brake lines. Test that it works.. Go to the track or some quiet street and have fun...

Without the linelock you have to "foot brake". This works OK to, problem is that you need to only apply so much pressure to the brake, that only the front brakes are engaged.

Moroso has a good line lock. I use a Hurst, but the Hurst is a little more tricky to use and install, it also works different from the Moroso linelock.

Hope this helps...

/Tom

Steve P.

Quote from: Mefirst on July 13, 2006, 04:05:40 PM
Cut the brake line going to the rear brakes. Mount the linelock valve. Hook up the electric wires to a On/Off switch. Bleed the brake lines. Test that it works.. Go to the track or some quiet street and have fun...

/Tom

Tom, I think you goofed. The line lock DOES NOT get spliced into the REAR brake line. It DOES get spliced into the front!!! :slap:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Beer

Goes between the M/C and the front Brakes.
I just added one to my Vette and it is a blast.
You can Download the instruction sets from Summitracing.com, I went with a Summit Line Like, it looks Identical to the Hurst one.

Hold the brakes down, push the Lock button and hold the button for the front brakes to stay locked as you take your foot off the brake and lay into the gas, for a most excellent smoke show...

My wife felt bad for the tires when I showed her the new trick LOL. Will definately put one on the 73 Charger when it gets to that part of the rebuild.

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Wakko

I'm going to put one on my Charger while I'm in the front brakes. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Mefirst

Quote from: Steve P. on July 15, 2006, 11:38:39 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on July 13, 2006, 04:05:40 PM

/Tom

Tom, I think you goofed. The line lock DOES NOT get spliced into the REAR brake line. It DOES get spliced into the front!!! :slap:

-OOps.. Sorry, you are right..

/Tom

General_01

I have seen where people put the line lock on the rear. This way they hit the button BEFORE they hit the brakes. That way the rear wheel brakes do not operate and they hold the fronts with the brake pedal. I have seen it both ways. I prefer locking the fronts myself though.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

dodge freak

Great point--I guess you lock out the front brakes and just have the back then you could lock up the back brakes at a good speed to turn the corner. Must be how they do it in the moves, but they have a close street when they do it.

I don't like messing around with the brakes, use them to stop the car not to show off, what if someting was to go wrong ? Those line locks are for racing cars not never go on the street. What happens if you hit somebody ? If the cops found out you have that on your brakes they could turn around and say it was your fault ,even if it wasn't. Maybe they would not but sometimes they have a mechanic look at the cars afterwards if it was bad.

73 Charger 440

Line Locks are pretty popular with new-age performance cars (Cobras, F-Bodies (Camaros, Trans Ams, Formulas), Corvettes, etc... Not as uncommon as some are making them out to be.

Was with a friend last year, taking the Cobra out right after a dyno-tune... were at a redlight behind a few cars, he engages the Line Lock and does a "hella big" burnout... And that Cobra isnt anywhere near quiet, people infront of us must have gotten pretty worried.

Ghoste

The problem with locking OUT the rears is that if you are using it for it's other intended purpose, holding the car on the line at a drag strip, then you are back to foot movement to release the car as opposed to just removing your finger from the button.

Steve P.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 17, 2006, 05:04:32 PM
The problem with locking OUT the rears is that if you are using it for it's other intended purpose, holding the car on the line at a drag strip, then you are back to foot movement to release the car as opposed to just removing your finger from the button.

Now it's time for a tranny brake... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Actually I think it's original intent was to help the 4 speed users.  I suppose it predates the trans brake invention too but whatever, it's a nice way to help burnouts today. ;D

Steve P.

Quote from: 73 Charger 440 on July 17, 2006, 04:59:01 PM
Line Locks are pretty popular with new-age performance cars (Cobras, F-Bodies (Camaros, Trans Ams, Formulas), Corvettes, etc... Not as uncommon as some are making them out to be.

Line locks have been around as long as I can remember. I'm coming up on 45, but, I can't remember if I had  lunch today!! :devil:   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

For some reason, I thought you were a lot younger than that Steve.  We're about the same age then.

Steve P.

Well it's like they say. The mind is the first thing to go!! I lost my mind a long time ago. If anyone finds it, please let me know...  ;)

45 next month..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jeepee

now i know a lot about the line lock but where are you put the switch?

Steve P.

That's up to you. Steering wheel or shifter handle in most cases..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

73 Charger 440

On newer cars most guys put them somewhere on the center console (close to the shifter), I know on Trans Ams guys put them in the ash-tray (hide the switch from plain view)... You could really put it anywhere.

Steve P.

I don't know of anyone hiding the LINE LOCK button. I have seen many hide the switch and button for N02!! Many hidden switches for fuel pumps and dead man.  :icon_smile_dead:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Steve P. on July 18, 2006, 05:44:04 PM
I don't know of anyone hiding the LINE LOCK button. I have seen many hide the switch and button for N02!! Many hidden switches for fuel pumps and dead man.  :icon_smile_dead:

The only reason they put them in the ash-tray (I can take a picture of the switches I have in my ashtray on my TA) is that it keeps from having to drill holes in areas where if you remove the switch the hole would show... Keeps the car looking stock, no ugly switches showing up.

Ghoste

Still seems a little inconvenient though.  Why not just put it on the shifter handle?

Steve P.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 18, 2006, 07:29:01 PM
Still seems a little inconvenient though.  Why not just put it on the shifter handle?

Absolutely!!  Last thing I want to do is sit uncomfortably waiting in angst for the tree to drop!!  :drive:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Mike DC

QuoteGreat point--I guess you lock out the front brakes and just have the back then you could lock up the back brakes at a good speed to turn the corner. Must be how they do it in the moves, but they have a close street when they do it.

Yeah, Line-Locs are used occasionally, but Hollywood often uses other methods for locking the rear brakes. 

Sometimes it's just a stock emergency brake (cable setup) that's been de-ratcheted at the pedal. 
The better method is something that the WRC Rally guys invented in Europe:  A separate hydraulic E-brake setup on an additional lever/pedal.  (When plumbed correctly, it does NOT affect the operation of the standard brake pedal whatsoever.) 

And then you also run a "cutting brake," a hydraulic lever near the shifter that manually pushes either the left or right-side brakes only . . .

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Ghoste on July 18, 2006, 07:29:01 PM

Dunno... Just as with Nitrous, fan switches, accessory switches, etc... most guys with F-Bodies want them hidden away.