News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone remember the 70s ? and big cars and gasoline?

Started by 911bear, August 18, 2005, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

911bear

:rant: ma mopar was pumping out the high horses everything was good and up jumped opec and who knows who else!!! and put the screws to everyone and started choking the horsepower right on out of all the cars. i can remember going to the gas station with my dad and if your license plate started with a even number and it happened to be an odd day on the calender you got no gas and when you did get to get gas it was 5 gallons only !! i can see this happening again  :'( all the big vehicles that are out now , the hemi , the 454 hummer, the triton v8 ford expeditions and suvs  . in my opinion they will become extinct and the bottom will fall outta prices on all the big rides out there just like it did in the 70s .....  guess i,m just ranting but i still think its a commin ...... just my opinion.........911bear
1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

Ghoste

I agree.  It's all a pendulum and it's about set to swing back to smaller cars.  As long as it doesn't bring the other 70's stuff with that swing.  Green appliances, orange shag carpet, cheezy vans...

Shakey

41husk

I think this gas crunch will result in (E H H) Electric, Hydrogen, and hybrid cars. 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Khyron

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2005, 04:01:44 AM
I agree.   It's all a pendulum and it's about set to swing back to smaller cars.   As long as it doesn't bring the other 70's stuff with that swing.   Green appliances, orange shag carpet, cheezy vans...

hey, you just described my house!  :icon_smile_big:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Telvis

I remember some of the 70's gas problems. I was a kid then.  In those days everybody had a big car. It was less common to see someone driving a small car. Much less common than today. When the prices for gas went up people went to the little cars in mass. Today I think there is already a pretty even split between the small and larger cars. I think it will shift some but I don't see it being as drastic as the 70's. Unlike the 70's where most households relied on one income. Today people make more money due to multiple household incomes. In a lot of cases the people who own large SUV's and other big vehicles can afford to absorb the extra expense.  They feel more secure in their big vehicle. I think it will take a lot to convince them to abandon their big gas guzzling cars.

hemihead

I remember when prices went up in the 70's people started car pooling,drove less,made one trip to shop pay bills etc..I don't think people will quit driving their SUV's.It is not a matter of feeling safe but I think more of a matter of feeling like a big shot.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

70charginglizard

Its very simple.

The rich will continue to drive there large SUV size vehicle.

The middle class will be squeezed to be defined as low income class.

And the low income class will be force into all the crappy ugly 4 door tiny vehicles.

70charginglizard

73dodge

My stay in California has been an eye opener. For a state with the biggest whiners about the enviroment and greenhouse gases and "progressive" thought, every other car I see on the road is an SUV not just a small Chevy Blazer, but Hummers, Tahoes, Land Rovers you name it. It also seems that behind every wheel of these giant SUV's is a single small woman driving it.

I remember the 70's gas crunch, but if I remember correctley the OPEC oil embargo was in retaliation to then DEMOCRAT Jimmy Carter (Worse President in history) middle east policy.

The good thing that came out of the gas crunch in the 70's was the emergence of the small forgien car, why? you ask. Because if it were not for the small Jap cars and their good quality and high mileage we would be stuck driving American garbage cars that were poor quality and had poor gas mileage. Not that I mind a being able to buy a new 70 Road Runner with a 440 +6 but face it the quality of the cars in the 70's was absolute CRAP. And if it were not for the Japs building quality cars forcing American companies to COMPETE in the quality arena you would still be going into a American car dealer to buy your $40,000 undersized 4cyl econo box with no options like CD, Air, Power Brakes etc. That new car you but would come with a 12mo 12000 warranty and for the first 3 months you would be taking it back to the dealer to get crappy little things fixed like body panels realigned and other junk fixed that you did not have to worry about when buying a Jap car.

So maybe enough people will buy electric golf carts and start driving them around enough to effect the gas prices. I'll then be able to keep driving my 8cyl car.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

KMPX2

I parked my 14 1/2 MPG Ram for a 33 MPG Neon. I drive 50 miles a day. I have keeped a log & What I have saved in gas has paid for the Neon.

ChargerChick

Quote from: KMPX2 on August 18, 2005, 11:50:04 AM
I parked my 14 1/2 MPG Ram for a 33 MPG Neon. I drive 50 miles a day. I have keeped a log & What I have saved in gas has paid for the Neon.

What year is your neon? Cause I have a 03 and its not getting 33MPG.
"Get out of my way or I'll rip you apart, cause I'm a speed demon baby"

andy74

i was just a kid back then,but i remember waiting in lines with my dad,and grand dad for gas,and the cars being as big as city buses-my father bought a used pinto to drive to work,and we hardly ever went on day trips-may be thats what we have coming again?

41husk

I would like to get a little 2.2 rampage and park the Ram.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Highbanked Hauler

I remember it well,sitting in line to get $3.00 worth of gas,odd even plate numbers,the red, yellow, and green flag system.Being out in the country we didn't have it as bad as the larger cities.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

LahTera

Ah, the 70s!   Some of my favorite years.   I was a kid then, too.   Mom had a Dodge Dart that would start in 40 below.   Dad had a red, white and blue van commemorating the Bicentennial.   Mom also had a 1974 Toyota Celica 4-speed that got 50 miles per gallon!   Wasn't supposed to be that high, but she took a carb class the previous year, and somehow got it there.   

I was doing whatever I could to get those Hash jeans and I still love those bell bottoms -- what can I say?

As for driving a small car, when my girlfriend was run off the road in hers and killed, I swore I'd never own another one.   Glad I kept my promise, as years later, I was t-boned in the shoulder by an SUV doing 55 in a 35 and running a red light.   I survived because I had my '73 Road   Runner -- gotta' love those unibodies!   Sure crushed the car, and my spirit at seeing my 9-year-old project totalled after all I had left to do was the interior.   That, and I was just waiting for the rear-end to go out.   I'd pretty much replaced all else.    :'(   Still miss that car.   My Charger was my replacement.

Ever watch That 70s Show?   Brings back memories!   LOL!

No, they can raise the gas prices all they want -- I'm never selling it!!!    :flame:

LahTera

Silver R/T

in a house with the white walls... mk
Better find something that gets most mpg. And I would love to see ban on SUV's. I just do not appreciate soccer moms driving 50K SUV just to shop, get in civic bitch and save gas. If everyone would be more conservative we wouldnt have gas crunch as bad.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 18, 2005, 01:20:54 PM
Better find something that gets most mpg. And I would love to see ban on SUV's. I just do not appreciate soccer moms driving 50K SUV just to shop, get in civic bitch and save gas. If everyone would be more conservative we wouldnt have gas crunch as bad.

If they have a 50k suv/car, they are not worried about saving gas.

Even if we magicaly cut our fuel consumption in half over night, the oil companies would double the costs of everything to make up for it. They're not going to like making half as much money as they did before.

BBD

KMPX2

Quote from: ChargerChick on August 18, 2005, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: KMPX2 on August 18, 2005, 11:50:04 AM

What year is your neon? Cause I have a 03 and its not getting 33MPG.

Both of mine are 96 SOHC 5 SPD cars I race one and daily drive the other. The Manual trans helps big time on gas. Neither one is stock there are alot of tricks you can do to the 95-99's I have not played with the 2 gen like you have.

MGBRingo

Interesting to see the comments about this.  Our Chargers get much worse gas mileage than those SUVs do.  I know most of us drive them less but the SUV owners probably talk about our old cars like we talk about them.    :o

67RedCharger

The shortage of oil is all a crock.   The Earth is still there just like it was back in the 70's with all of that unseen oil under our feet just like it was in the 70's, with technology providing the Oil magnets with information of where to drill to get the stuff.   Tree huggers complaining that the ice caps will melt from global warming with the stock analysts convincing everyone that there is an oil shortage to drive up the price of oil so that the pencil pushers can make a buck sitting on their duff just like the sceniro that occurred in the late 90's with Enron and other corporate giants tore into the economy with the suffurage of millions of stock investors losing their life savings.   Back in the 70's it was the big oil companies looking for a way to put the competition out of business, and that competition was the dollar bill snatchers   selling the excess gasoline at a discount price.   In case there are some that have no idea what a dollar snatcher was, it was the erection of a self service gas pump that took dollar bills to satisfy the thirsty gas guzzlers.   Well the dollar snatchers were closed down from the so called oil shortage an bless patty the price hit .89 a gallon and the lines stopped.   There was no oil shortage then, and there is no oil shortage now.   The earth is still there, with the oil underneath our feet just waiting to be pumped up out of the ground and refined.   The Oil magnets have us where they want us and they are sitting around reaping the profits of screwing the populace just like they did back in the 70's.   The idea to let the free enterprise system prevail to take care of the problem is ludicrous.   The economy is now starting to react to the squeeze and you will find the prices starting to drop to relieve the pressure building up from the publics reaction to the increased prices.   Once the prices start to drop, the pressure will be relieved and it will all start over again.   What we need is for a congressional investigation to take place to put some bone heads in prison to stop this garbage, and clean up the mess that has been going on now for 30 years.

~ 67RedCharger ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

JimShine

My 318 '69 Charger gas mileage isn't too far off from my '03 Buick Century. The Buick gets about 5 more miles a gallon, big whoop.

RD

Quote from: 67RedCharger on August 18, 2005, 07:16:55 PM
What we need is for a congressional investigation to take place to put some bone heads in prison to stop this garbage, and clean up the mess that has been going on now for 30 years.

~ 67RedCharger ~

AMEN!!! that is what i am talking about.  but you think that will happen with an oil president?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Or any other president.  Big Oil buys a LOT of influence with a few well heeled campaign funds.

Troy

What we need is for a congressional investigation to take place to put some bone heads in prison to stop this garbage, and clean up the mess that has been going on now for 30 years.

~ 67RedCharger ~

Just what we need. With their track record I'd be amazed if they could even agree on the exact location of the nearest restroom after a ten month "investigation". Maybe they can get to it right after they investigate steroids in baseball....  :rotz:

OH! And the only thing I remember about the 70s is those HUGE collars on my hand-me-down button up shirts. :o

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

That's so funny..
You'll make a great little dictator...  ;D

Ghoste

Unless all the politicians start driving classics, you can bet your last dollar that we'll get banned before any SUV's.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Stratocharger on August 18, 2005, 09:13:28 PM

That's so funny..
You'll make a great little dictator... ;D

lucifer in disguise :) he he

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: RD on August 18, 2005, 07:44:22 PM

═ ~ 67RedCharger ~

AMEN!!! that is what i am talking about. but you think that will happen with an oil president?

totally agree, but its impossible as government is in it with oil mafia, which is bigger than you can imagine

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RallyeMike

Remember? Still living them, and refusing to move forward. Here's my daily comuter:

O0
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Brock Samson

Interesting Mike, WE WANT MORE PICS!!!!!!  :icon_smile: /6 eh?..

RallyeMike

How's it hanging Strat?

Nothing like floating down the road at 13mpg (Except flying down the road at 140mph)

Comfort for 6:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Badbob

After just conquering one of the most oil rich countries in the world why in hell are we even talking about this. To the victor go the spoils, the world thinks we are in Iraq for the oil, so lets TAKE THE FRIGGIN' OIL!!! :flame:

Oh yeah the liberals and baby's will cry.
That will be the downfall of America, soft on everything.

Bob

Brock Samson

looks pretty freakin cherry Mike, whats the milage?.. on the odo?

chargerjy9

I sold my beloved 73 Charger SE in 1975 because gas went up to 60 cents a gallon. a move I regretted since the moment I did it, but we were newly married, about to become a family and it was suggested that the Charger wuold put us into the poor house
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Ghoste

That's understandable.  A lot of guys sold their musclecars in the early 70's because of kids, mortgage, and fuel costs.  I have a hard time funneling money off for the Charger now and if it were the early 70's and I didn't know how hard it would be to get back in, I likely would have sold too.
Hearing stories like yours are one of the things that make me kep the car in spite of pressure from kids and mortgage.

4forty

QuoteAfter just conquering one of the most oil rich countries in the world why in hell are we even talking about this. To the victor go the spoils, the world thinks we are in Iraq for the oil, so lets TAKE THE FRIGGIN' OIL!!!

I have to agree with badbob..... but what the f, were spending millions on military and rebuilding Iraq , I guess were not there for wmd's, so what do we get beside more taxes. "give us the liquid gold!"

LahTera

Quotebut the SUV owners probably talk about our old cars like we talk about them.

Say it isn't so!!   :o

As for the global warming, no doubt about the fact that it's happening.  The North Pole is melting more every year.  But here's my take on it:  It was happening naturally, and now we're just helping it along.  I've watched distinct signs over the past 25 years here in Alaska that show the climate worldwide is changing.  Ice shelves in Antarctica are falling off, creating higher oceans, and the polar cap is melting.  We're getting thunderstorms up here for the first time, for crying out loud!  Me, I happen to love thunderstorms, but after no lightning hitting in Anchorage prior to this, it's pretty strange.

And the heat we've had the last few summers also tells a story.  Heat and humidity.  Some days, we were hotter than it was in the Lower 48. 

However, since we managed to have an ice age naturally, it just seems to me that the warming part is just continuing on from that stage.  Wouldn't deny that we're helping that along, tho.

Anyway, that's my  :Twocents:

LahTera

Ghoste

I agree with all that but I doubt that classic car owners are nearly as responsible for it as the tree huggers and anti-cars would have the politicos and public believe.

cicero charger

Oh yeah the 70's"' :icon_smile_big:
     That's when we got the shaft by opec :flame:   Jimmy carter was no prize either :flame:     The same things are happening now"     Gas prices are rediculous''   You couldn't take a trip due to rationing> Half the gas stations were closed.   Forget sunday,   Long lines at the gas pumps.     We should have stuck by the sha   of iran a very good friend of ours but no way. they let that radical kolmeini start his baloney islamic
Revolution' holding us citizens prisoner :flame:   And oh Yeah how about the great society of LBJ'S      :flame:   All of these bogus environmental laws that slowed down industry, Now the new problems. Out sourcing :rotz:   Now we have to contend with china dumping all of these products on us > Neither the republican nor the democrats understand the magnatute of the harm they have caused :flame:
     Time to make america for the americans "   Lets build our own stuff :icon_smile_big:   We can do it better and just a cheap'     Ever wonder why honda moved to the US?

Lowprofile

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 18, 2005, 11:45:35 PM
Remember? Still living them, and refusing to move forward. Here's my daily comuter:

O0

Sweeeeeeet!!! :icon_smile_shock: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

thallium

I remember waiting in the gas lines too.  I remember back then riding around standing in the front passenger seat.  No baby seat or kid seat laws.

I remember standing in the back riding between the front seats and standing on the trans hump and wrapping my arms around the front seat so I was in the middle between my mom and dad.  From what I can remember, we never had the big cars.   We had a Datsun B-210.  Anybody remember those?

RallyeMike

In the late 70's dumb kids like me were able to buy 69 Chargers for $150, and 440/4speed Road Runners for $500. And you could find all the parts you wanted in the local wrecking yard for chump change. Bring back the 70's!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drop Top

I remember the 70's well. I graduated from High School in "76". Bakersfield was much smaller then and we had the odd even days to fill the tanks. But we never had any lines. Everybody that I remember talking to would just fill there tanks on their given day and not worry about it. Most people didn't need to fill everyday. We never had rationing so we could fill all the way up. Once we got used to it. It was no big deal. We just didn't like he fact that the prices were going up so much so fast. Just like today. It was a wind fall for me. I bought allot of muscle cars back then and sold them later for a profit. Luck I guess. But I should have waited till now to sell them. I'd be retired now. I knew back then that the cars would go up. But I never dreamed they would go up like they have. My Dad and I used to argue over this. I wish he was alive now so I could prove my point. The 70's was my favorite time in my life. I would love to relive it but with one exception that I know what I know now.

Its funny I went to a local bar the other night. The young man that I was there for turned 22. He grew up hanging around my shop and now he works for me. The place was packed with 21 to 25 year olds. I was the oldest one there (47) and the other one closest to my age was a woman around 30. The only time the dance floor would get packed was when a 70's song was played. I had a ball dancing with all those young ladies. They would come up to me and ask me to dance. If I started to go every night I would loose my extra weight. Probably my wife too. LOL

What I'm getting at was the 70's was cool from the cars to the music even what we wore was cool. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was some of the hair stiles.

Ghoste

Now just what was wrong with the hair styles???   O0

andy74

dont forget the chrome fram fuel filters,side pipes,lace paint jobs,air shocks and tires sticking a foot out from the rear quarters!oh and the stickers all over the rear windows,glass packs,and tinted plexiglass windows-blue and red tinted headlights, all that cool stuff! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 :METAL:, 8 tracks,disco,polyester suits?

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Ghoste

Our green fridge (which had long been relegated to basement backup beer fridge status) just finally gave up and moved to that great 70's kitchen in the sky a few months ago.  My wife was sure happy to see that thing go.

andy74

my first apartment had the ugly orange shag rug,green appliances,and avacado and gold tiled bathroom!

69hemi

I worked at a Mobil station outside of Pittsburgh where I grew up during the gas crunch of the 70's and it got ugly at the pumps.   We got 3000 gallons of regular per week and maybe 500 of premium if we were lucky.   We rationed everybody to 5-gallons at a time so we would pump around 80 cars a day.   The trick we used was to write down the plate and description of the 80th car in line then put a "Last Car" sign on it's rear window.   Sometimes if people saw we were pumping they would pull in behind the last car and move the sign to their car.   Since we knew who really was the last car that is where we would shut it down.   People would get out screaming that they had the sign on their car so we HAD to pump for them.   They got downright pissy but that was the game.  

We would block the pumps with our cars to keep people from pulling up to them.   Then right before we would leave at night we would put the hose in our cars and fill them to the brim with the Premium.   I was driving a 1966 Nova with a 427 L88 in it so it was a thirsty pup.   If somebody saw us doing that they would pull in and demand that we put gas in their cars also.   The louder they yelled, the less their chance of getting a drop.   Of course the cars in town that always had gas were the police cars and all the muscle cars because most of us gear heads worked at gas stations.

Oh, and by the way what is the matter with green fridges?
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Ghoste

69hemi

Well then if gas keeps going up I guess it is time to break out the compact car.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Ghoste

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MGBRingo

My first brand new car was a 1970 Datsun 1200.   It was the same as the B210 but not as sporty and cheaper.      ;)   Brand new sticker price was $1,998.

I bought it because of the gas mileage.   Now I really don't care about gas mileage within reason.  

6670charger

I remember them vaguely.  Nothing has changed since then.  There is still just as much oil.  It's just the Arabs and the Oil Companies who are skalping us to get even richer than they already are.  I have seen some people starting to give up their SUV's for small cars again.  Quite frankly, it's probably what we need to get rid of some of those ridiculous trucks.  Get used to the prices.  They're here to stay.  The oil companies have been waiting for this for years.  Other countries pay at least as much as we are, or more, and have been for many years, now.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

samgreenfingers

Here in England we are paying roughly 1 Pound to the Litre, im not sure what the exchange rate is, but i assume its about 1.5 dollers to the pound, and about 4 liters to the gallon, but im not sure, and we have far too many people driving around in SUV's, Trucks and pickups when they dont even need them, just women going to the gym or taking the kids to school and its a god damn annoyance, why do women drive these big stupid beasts?

im also curious, im thinking of buying a '69 charger, although i assume it will have to be imported from the states because of the small ammount over here and the rarity to fine a decent condition one for sale. what is the rough average MPG that a '69 440 charger R/T will do? and do they rust easily like most old cars?

Safe,
Sam

ChargerSG

Quote from: 41husk on August 18, 2005, 07:16:19 AM
I think this gas crunch will result in (E H H) Electric, Hydrogen, and hybrid cars.  

Thants the reality here in Sweden, but the 70 my dad bught allot of great cars and sold here, since you could get great cars for nothing, soo in the 70 i allways went to school in style :icon_smile_big: But those Orange bathrooms and stuff i dont miss....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166