News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 Hemi starter heat shield question

Started by hemi68charger, July 10, 2006, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
There seems to be some confusion on my part regarding the application of hemi starter shields.. Which years received the shield? Here's a pic from a survivor '66 Hemi Charger.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

8WHEELER

:popcrn:  interesting, never seen one before on 68's and 69's  :shruggy:  maybe they get thrown out after
people put new starter's on. My friends Hemi Bird does not have one, but he has had it for ever, I will ask him
about this, he would know.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

OK, I got ahold of a friend of mine that's had many Hemi cars, and still has three of them. He worked for
Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler dealers back when the max wedge cars started coming out, so he has a
max wedge car as well. He sent this back to me just now, after I asked him if they came from the factory.

================================================================================
Hi Dan

sometimes I've heard people argue about hemi cars not having the starter heat shield but based upon my knowledge of the cars, they all had one when they left the factory, most of them got tossed away over the years, as they are a royal pain in the a$$ to put back on, after removing them for the first time...

my 69 R/R and the 71 super bee had them and they were both survivor cars, so that should tell you something,,,

most of the argument is on E body cars, but I think they were supposed to have them too... but I'm pretty darned sure all B body hemi cars had them....
================================================================================

Hope this helps Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hemi68charger

Well, there you go.... That's good enough for me............

I hate being so damn anal about the resto.. So, I guess I'll be looking for one...... hahaha

Would like to find an original,,,,,,,,, yeah,, right..............  There is a reproduction out there though if I need.......

Thanks Dan !!!!!
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Troy,

I looked this up in the book after we talked at Jeff City.  Sure enough, all the auto trans Hemicars were "supposed" to get the starter heat shield, from '66 through '71.  4-speed cars from '66-'69 did not, but that was because they used that infernal direct-drive starter instead of the gear-reduction setup.

To my knowledge they didn't prep the E-body Hemi engines any differently than they did for B-body cars, so I would suspect that the starter shields were installed on all the '70-'71 E-body Hemicars just like the intermediates.  Just a guess though, as I've only drooled over E-bodies (never owned one).

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on July 13, 2006, 04:49:49 AM
Troy,

I looked this up in the book after we talked at Jeff City.  Sure enough, all the auto trans Hemicars were "supposed" to get the starter heat shield, from '66 through '71.  4-speed cars from '66-'69 did not, but that was because they used that infernal direct-drive starter instead of the gear-reduction setup.

To my knowledge they didn't prep the E-body Hemi engines any differently than they did for B-body cars, so I would suspect that the starter shields were installed on all the '70-'71 E-body Hemicars just like the intermediates.  Just a guess though, as I've only drooled over E-bodies (never owned one).

Thanks Geno and Dan for the clarificaton.......... I guess I need to find one or go to Roger and buy one............... 

Troy
Troy