News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Favorite Yr. Charger Poll:

Started by Brock Samson, July 12, 2006, 11:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your Favorite Year of the charger? and please explain why...

1966-1967
1972-1974
Other: Please List

Jon Smith

69, 2nd gens are the best overall shape
but dont like the loop bumper on 70's and i think the 69/70 tailights fit the car better than the 68's

Ghoste

I chose 69 because I have just liked them since, well, way before the DOH.  I wish I could choose two though because since I bought this 67, I have to come to have a real big appreciation for the fastbacks.

Blakcharger440

Just to let it be known that the 70 Charger had the fewest production numbers so will
never win this type of poll since so few today own them.

That being said,the best year is 1970 as they have the best options in a 2nd gen body!

Sixpack engine in the 2nd gen body!
Pistolgrips!
Hood Call Outs!
Gator Grain Tops!
Electric headlight motor!
Door scoops
Loop Bumpers!
High Back Bucket Seats!
High Impact Colors!

Just too name a few!

Chris G.

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on July 16, 2006, 03:48:54 PM
Just to let it be known that the 70 Charger had the fewest production numbers so will

While that's true for the big 3 Chargers (68-70), it most likely had nothing to do with the changes made in 1970 to the Charger that made it sell less. It was an exciting year at Chrysler. The Challenger (77K built), B-Cuda (23K more than the year before), Duster (I have no idea, but there were alot), and the Dart (do you need the numbers? It's over 100K) drew a lot of new customers. Can you imagine going into a dealer back then and deciding what you want? I would go bonkers.

There's no doubt they were on to something with the '68 Charger which was a big seller and a gorgeous car, but the big year for Chrysler was un-arguably 1970 which really has nothing to do with this topic, but I needed to mention it.  ;)

ps- My second fav is the '71 and then the '68, and then the 200...  :o

Bandit4142

My favorite is the '69.   I love all the 2nd gens, but I'm especially fond of the '69.   Plus....  I own one.  :D
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

Dodge Don

Quote from: Chris G. on July 16, 2006, 04:23:55 PM

While that's true for the big 3 Chargers (68-70), it most likely had nothing to do with the changes made in 1970 to the Charger that made it sell less. It was an exciting year at Chrysler. The Challenger (77K built), B-Cuda (23K more than the year before), Duster (I have no idea, but there were alot), and the Dart (do you need the numbers? It's over 100K) drew a lot of new customers. Can you imagine going into a dealer back then and deciding what you want? I would go bonkers.

There's no doubt they were on to something with the '68 Charger which was a big seller and a gorgeous car, but the big year for Chrysler was un-arguably 1970 which really has nothing to do with this topic, but I needed to mention it.  ;)

ps- My second fav is the '71 and then the '68, and then the 200...  :o

What he said... :yesnod:

71gtx

68 -74 chargerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 440 400 383 340  hemi rt 500s rally se mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :2thumbs:

Ghoste

That is, of course, if we ignore the less than 16,000 made in 1967. ;)

twilt

Why would a 72 be lumped in the same category as a 73 or 74? thats like lumping 68`s, 69`s, and 70`s all in one group.  :icon_smile_dead: I guess 72`s are my favorite year, because 72 Rallyes are my favorite car. Any 3rd Gen without opera windows is  :2thumbs: in my book. 

6670charger

My favorite year is the 68, although I own a 66.  I guess I like the grill and taillight combo on the 68 a little better than the other second gens, although, I wouldn't turn a nice 69 or 70 away.  Had a 70 V-code/4 speed for several years and loved it.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

RT DAVE

Quote from: twilt on July 17, 2006, 09:52:17 PM
Why would a 72 be lumped in the same category as a 73 or 74? thats like lumping 68`s, 69`s, and 70`s all in one group.  :icon_smile_dead: I guess 72`s are my favorite year, because 72 Rallyes are my favorite car. Any 3rd Gen without opera windows is  :2thumbs: in my book. 

Probably because most people dislike them equally.   Same deal with the 66-67 being lumped together.  What's with the 3 votes for 66-67 and 72-74 getting 14?  Is that for real?  Can you say HEMI, 440 MAGNUM & 383 HP?
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

plum500

QuoteProbably because most people dislike them equally.

Now there's an assumption. Man that's harsh.

If anything. 71/72...73/74... would make sense to me... but really I think it should be broken up simply by individual year.

Didn't '73 have the highest production/sales numbers of them all?

Brock Samson

I'm sorry if I didn't break the choices (years) down enuff, but you know we've done this same poll before and pretty much do know how the various years' popularity shakes out,..
General Lee...  :icon_smile_big:

But yeah, that discrepency between the 1st and third generations is remarkable...  ???

I'd sure put the '71 and 72s togeather except that would weight the sample to that pairs advantage.
I'd prefer to think of the lowered compression cars togeather.
I figgure after '72 the entire industry went in a slump,.. but, nonetheless, there are sure some FINE post '71s on this board, and these cars seem to be making a resergence in popularity since they are out there and closer to the demographic on this board, for example, i bet alot of dads are fixing up third gens after having one used or new in the '70s or '80s... where as "original" '66-'67 owners are more likely to be granddads' now and the cars are less plentiful and more expensive to maintain over the ensuing years...
It's also Interesting the small number of post '74 Chargers reciving any appreciation on this board.
I know localy of a really sweet three tone blue T-top Daytona.  :yesnod: Basicly a Charger Right?..

it's only a hop skip and a jump to a Cordoba but aint none of those on this here board either...
I probably think too much about this crap huh?..  :-\

volk68

68 is my favorite.  The grille, tailights, and marker lights really stand out as nice touches to a classic shape for me.  That's why I bought a 68.  More and more, however, I am coming to respect the 66 and 67's.  When they are restored right, they really are beautiful rides  :yesnod:

RT DAVE

Quote from: plum500 on July 18, 2006, 10:58:17 AM
QuoteProbably because most people dislike them equally.

Now there's an assumption. Man that's harsh.

If anything. 71/72...73/74... would make sense to me... but really I think it should be broken up simply by individual year.

Didn't '73 have the highest production/sales numbers of them all?

I'm just trying to cause trouble.  I like em all myself.  If I had enough cash I would one car from each of the first three gens or maybe even one for each year 66-74.  Does anybody on this board have one from all the first nine years?
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Chad L. Magee

I think that my 70 RT (when it is finally restored) will look like the most evil car ever produced by the big three back in the day :icon_smile_evil:.  It was a triple black (black exterior, top and interior) with stripe delete and a 4-speed (if it only had come with a hemi :'().  If you have one of the Hemi Owners Guide magazines, there was a car very similar to it but with a hemi and a sunroof (morgasm was on the licence plate).  I don't know but there is something about that one particular car that makes me pick 1970 as my favorite year..........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

73chgrSE

3rd gens unite. We are making a come back.

topduarte

Being a 1st gen owner, I love my 67.

It is unique to the other generation chargers.  Base 318 V-8 (no 6 cyl available), standard tach and other gauges in Electroluminiscent Lighting, motor operated headlights (pain in the ass), 4 full bucket seats, etc and the sweet fastback lines with the "CHARGER" in the tailights.

My 2nd favorites is a black or bronze 68 and then 3rd is a 71 Superbee!!

Lowprofile

That's a Sweet ride,Bro! :2thumbs: I am really starting to appreciate the 1st gen cars more and more. There are some beautiful examples on this site. That's a great color combo too. :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

JimShine

1969. In my mind that was perfection. It still was clean and the split in the grille made sense (followed the body line in the hood). I like 1968's next. I like the interior in that year.

19Charger68

1968.  First year for second generation and IMHO the cleanest looking of the 68-70.  Changes to the grills and taillights, side markers, etc for the 69-70 are just not as clean and attractive as the 68.
Bruce

Brock Samson

IMO:
I like the '69s' space invader tailights and louvered spliter in the grill, that entire louvered waste gate look, more F-4 Phantom then the '68's round Group 6 G.T. details,.. but I well remember how the '68 R/T on the brochure that came out in the sunday paper in nov. of '67 Knocked my socks off! "The Cars With The Bumblebee stripes" indeed.  ;D
  Yeah the '70 is ok too but overall it has a rather unbalance look, to me... beacause of the tall chrome bumper, i dont personally like the leading edge, I Love the '70s' features though! the pistol grip and hi-impact colors can't be beat.  :yesnod:
'71s' -'74 are fine if optioned up in the right way.
The first gens will allways be Classic, a factory custom ready to roll.
Just my feelings.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Ghoul on July 14, 2006, 12:47:10 AM
Here is a picture of the Charger that got hit & hit back!

That car was sweeeeet. Gotta like that!

Dodge Don

Quote from: THE COLONEL on July 13, 2006, 08:14:01 PM
I like the 69 the best.  I love the split grille, and the tail lights of a 69.  I fell in love with that year, many moons ago, and swore I'd have one some day! :yesnod:

And yet you slap on a 70 Charger spoiler and use the 70 Charger style V21 versus the 69 style.

Interesting.

Ghoste

Well now, he never said that 70's were disgusting or anything like that Don. ;)