News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

out with the new, in with the old (new wheels!) - UPDATE

Started by 471_Magnum, July 12, 2006, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Back by popular demand...

15" American Racing wheels.

I ditched the 17" "Pro-Touring" look in favor of the 15" TTO's. Just can't argue with the classic looks af a straight-spoke Torq Thrust.

Tires are the tried and true combination of 275-60-15 & 225-70-15.

I'm running Firestone PV41's up front. V-rated "Cop Tires". Out back are Nitto 555R Extreme Drags. Also V-rated.

Looks just plane nasty, but dang those wheels look tiny after seeing the 17's on there for the past year or so.  ::)

Centers are unpainted, rough cast out of the box. I'm tempted to paint them a dark grey, for easier cleaning and to better accent the color of the car. I'm pretty sure the current finish will prove to be a dirt magnet.

I'd like to replace the plastic center caps with the optional aluminum ones, but they're kind of pricey. That will have to wait.

Been raining on and off all day and the roads are wet, so I didn't get to properly break-in the tires  ;D but in between showers I pulled out in the driveway for a few pictures.

By the way, my "old" 17 inch stuff has already found a happy new home.

If you're looking for a great price on American Racing wheels, McCormack Racing seems to have the price to beat. $662 delivered for my combination through their Ebay store.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

471_Magnum

and some close-ups...
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Slowpoke

68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

Just 6T9 CHGR

Call me crazy but I actually liked the 17's on your car.......

These are nice as well though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

471_Magnum

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on July 12, 2006, 08:10:50 PM
Call me crazy but I actually liked the 17's on your car.......

The 17s were either or love 'em or hate 'em. I liked the stance with the 17's, but grew tired of the wheels themselves. As I stated in my other post last week, I got tired of skating around on the low profile tires as well.

I seriously considered the 17x8 TTO's, but that wouldn't have solved my traction problems.

Mikesmopars01

I like the new American Racing wheels better.  They look good on the charger.

kamkuda

Troy

Ok, so which wheels did you get??? I really wanted a set but the 15x7 and 15x8.5 only come in 3 3/4" backspacing (according to American Racing's site and any dealer I talked to). I have a set of 15x8 AR-23s with 3 3/4" BS and a 275/60-15 rear won't even fit inside the lip of the wheelwell on the Barracuda. It will likely fit on one of the Chargers OR on the Barracuda if I use a B-body rearend but neither of those options helps me at this time.

They look great though!

And, why can't I find that dealer on eBay? Can you send me a link?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69Charger_440

That is an awesome car.  could you please post a profile pic to see the stance? 
Thanks!!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

471_Magnum

Quote from: Troy on July 12, 2006, 09:58:44 PM
Ok, so which wheels did you get???
15x7 & 15x8.5. 3.75 BS

QuoteAnd, why can't I find that dealer on eBay? Can you send me a link?

http://stores.ebay.com/MCCORMACK-RACING

bull

No offense but I think I'd be more practical with my money and rather than blowing it buying and selling wheels I'd fix the rust before it gets worse. Her shoes look nice and all but I can't get past the skin cancer on her legs. I know you didn't ask but :Twocents:

471_Magnum

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on July 12, 2006, 10:07:16 PM
could you please post a profile pic to see the stance?

Going to have to wait for better pictures, but you can visit my geocities page and see some pictures of the car wearing the old 200S'. Dimensionally they were identical.

http://www.geocities.com/j_bossman/1969_Dodge_Charger_SE.html

471_Magnum

Quote from: bull on July 12, 2006, 10:22:58 PM
No offense but I think I'd be more practical with my money and rather than blowing it buying and selling wheels I'd fix the rust before it gets worse.
Wheels: Summer project
Body: Winter project

QuoteI know you didn't ask but :Twocents:
No, I didn't.

firefighter3931

I like those a lot better than the previous wheel/tire combo. Hopefully the Nitto tires help in the traction department....let us know how they are after you "season" them  :drive:

I saw some guy hauling your old wheels/tires around in the Carlisle swap meet area....he said that they'd been purchased off of a member of the Charger board. I noticed that they had a "Hot Wheels" logo on the center cap. Those wheels looked pretty good....but not as good as what's on there now, inmo.

Looking forward to the track report Jim  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

OldGuy

The 15" rims look much better.  IMO taller rims do not fit the profile of the car.  Chargers have a long and low profile so when tall rims go on them, it throws the whole car out of proportion - it just doesn't look right to me.  Stick with the 15" and put the tall rims on a high profile vehicle i.e. SUV.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Troy

Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 12, 2006, 10:18:51 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 12, 2006, 09:58:44 PM
Ok, so which wheels did you get???
15x7 & 15x8.5. 3.75 BS

QuoteAnd, why can't I find that dealer on eBay? Can you send me a link?

http://stores.ebay.com/MCCORMACK-RACING
Thank you. I don't suppose you ever plan on wider tires then? How close are they to the wheel lip?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

derailed

Thats a great combo IMO. I definitly like the 15s over the 17s.

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: derailed on July 12, 2006, 11:33:16 PM
Thats a great combo IMO. I definitly like the 15s over the 17s.

17's would look better if they only offered wider (295's or wider) profiles.  I think that a 17 inch wheel with 295 50's might look good.  That way you would have the big wheels with a decent sidewall.
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

blackcharger

Quote from: OldGuy on July 12, 2006, 10:40:25 PM
The 15" rims look much better.  IMO taller rims do not fit the profile of the car.  Chargers have a long and low profile so when tall rims go on them, it throws the whole car out of proportion - it just doesn't look right to me.  Stick with the 15" and put the tall rims on a high profile vehicle i.e. SUV.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

looks AWSOME!! I agree with your summer/winter time line. Summertime isn't the time to have the car in the body shop.
Dave

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

471_Magnum

Quote from: Troy on July 12, 2006, 11:11:44 PM
quote]I don't suppose you ever plan on wider tires then? How close are they to the wheel lip?
No. This is as wide as I'll go... with these wheels anyway. Very close to the wheel lip in back. The negative offset cuts it close. Definitely need good springs with this combo. It will kiss the outer wheel house on big bumps. I have rub marks from the last time I ran this size and offset. More tire would require positive offset wheels.

Quote from: Danny Gutierrez on July 13, 2006, 12:53:26 AM
17's would look better if they only offered wider (295's or wider) profiles. I think that a 17 inch wheel with 295 50's might look good. That way you would have the big wheels with a decent sidewall.
I had 275 50 17s on before. That's pretty much as "meaty" as you can go on a 17" wheel without resorting tall, heavy SUV tires.

Quote from: greenpigs on July 13, 2006, 05:25:48 AM
I didn't care for the 17 inch rims
Like I said, love 'em or hate 'em.

moparsons

I think they both looked sweet on that car!!!

4forty

much better!......