News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C compressor brackets

Started by moparjohn, July 12, 2006, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparjohn

I am in the process of a rebuild and am trying to get everything ready. I noticed at the TDC meet in Mo. that the A/C compressor has 2 steel brackets that attach to the intake manifold.  The question is are they the same on 440's and 383's??  4 bbl intake. Anyone have a pic of a 383 4 bbl close range of the brackets- I don't have any on my car and have a lead on them but want to be sure they'll fit.
                                                                                                    Thanks as always
                                                                                                           John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

original72

short answer is yes and no.... the front bracket that bolts to the water pump will fit fine and the bracket behind the compressor will fit if you use one from a 383/400 on a 440 BUT you will not be able to bolt it to the cylinder head.... i had a 400 engine and swapped in a 440 and put the AC back in and everything lined up except the above mentioned bracket... it rests on the cylinder head just fine but you will not be able to bolt it in due to a approx 2 inch offset.... hope this helped....

Bill

4402tuff4u

Since I went with INDY EZ heads, I had to modify the A/C bracket to adjust for the new height. I cut and welded the bracket to fit it to my 440. I believe they are the same as the 383 - but not sure. But the one in the photo is the one on my 1968 Charger R/T 440HP. Hope this picture helps you.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"