News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6-pack, dual quads, etc.. why more power?

Started by defiance, July 14, 2006, 02:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

Ok...  So, I'm stuck waiting on special order parts yet again.  alright then, I'll go about trying to learn something while I wait :)

One thing I've always wondered about, though, is why 6-packs and dual quads have more HP than comparable setups on 4-bbls.  Before you think I'm a tard (duh, it's more air & fuel!), let me explain what I mean.  Currently, the setup I have can do 900cfm.  From everything I'm reading, this is just too much for my engine.  It doesn't actually cause me any problems, since it's all efi; I just set up the fuel to match actual airflow and the last fraction of the throttle just doesn't matter.

Anyway, though, my point is that with a 6-pack - correct me if I'm wrong - but the big difference is more fuel/air flow...  but how is it that the engine is able to take advantage of the additional supplied fuel/air?  Do they have different heads as well?  Or is it only the intake?

Sorry if this is a rudimentary question, just trying to grasp it all.  Thanks!

myk

Didn't 6-pack/barrel engines come with a different cam grind from the factory?  Other than the increased air/fuel, I don't see how else an engine could make more power with that setup...

Rolling_Thunder

as far as i know - the cam grind was different - but the specs were the same...    - the grind has a taper to it to help make the lifters spin in their bores so the cam wouldnt go flat...     so ive heard...      also it was a 3 bolt cam instead of the one bolt - correct ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

the Fact is the formulas Lie
I have proven 4 times on a dyno that going from a 850 to a 1050 dominator carb swill gain a MInimum of 40 RWHP on a mild 440 , I have seen 70 Hp gains
I keep recommending big carbs on this & other sites based on Proven dyno knowledge but most poeple here dispute my "claims"
the Fact is More air /fuel =s more power go figure !!