News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crawled under my '68 today... * Lots of pics *

Started by Rack, July 12, 2006, 12:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

If you're like me, then you enjoy seeing lots of pics of other members' rides, even if it's closeup pics of parts of the car you rarely ever see. So I crawled under my car today... mainly cuz I wanted to see if the plywood I set under it would be enough to keep the jack stands securely in place. I'm still alive so, yes, the plywood worked.

Anyway, took a bunch of pics while I was under there. Nothing in particular, just pics pics pics.

I did take some of under my floor pans since the top side is covered in Tar (or a tar-like substance). If you guys/gals think the floors need replacing, please let me know. And if you see anything else that looks odd or unusual, feel free to clue me in on that one too.  :icon_smile_big:

More to come...

Rack

Rack

QuoteGreat!! It looks VERY solid under there!

Yeah I thought so too. Looks like mostly surface rust. Hopefully (*crossing fingers*) it'll get blasted soon.  :yesnod:

More pics...

Hope you all aren't bored yet cuz, yes, there's even more to come...

Rack

By the way, does it seem like my gas tank is hanging a bit too low? Can someone post a pic of their charger from behind, down low? It seems from the pics of other chargers I've seen that I have no problem seeing their rear end, but I can only see the very bottom of mine. Is there anything to that, or am I going insane?

pics...

Ok almost done with the barrage of pics...

Brock Samson

im not bored but arn't ya' worried about that explosive device there under the floorboards?..

Rack

and some more...

Strange it appears there's plenty of clearance between the inside the tire and the springs, but there was some rubbing on the wheel well. That is mostly on the right though, and the right side of the car hangs a bit lower then the left so maybe the right side springs are just "tired"?

Ok, that's all the pics. Hope you all enjoyed them as it was over 100 degrees today while I was down under there. Just wish I had the title in my hands so I can take it apart already!!!

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 12, 2006, 12:37:35 AM
im not bored but arn't ya' worried about that explosive device there under the floorboards?..

Actually that's there on purpose. I'm going for the whole "Road Warrior" thing, ya know?  :icon_smile_cool:

Brock Samson

not much showin here due to the lighting...

but i espcecially like this particular shot of the sunset over the rockies, some how you managed to convey the majesty of gods creation in the heavens above and the mountains below.... Good Eye there Rack, you should be a pofessional Photograher.  :yesnod:

terrible one

That back end is pretty bondo'd up man. I wish you the best of luck with what is under it all!

Charger1973

Quote from: Rack on July 12, 2006, 12:45:59 AM

Strange it appears there's plenty of clearance between the inside the tire and the springs, but there was some rubbing on the wheel well. That is mostly on the right though, and the right side of the car hangs a bit lower then the left so maybe the right side springs are just "tired"?

My guess would be the air shocks.  They always seem to sag on one side for some reason.

Rack

Quote from: charger1973 on July 12, 2006, 01:14:21 AM
Quote from: Rack on July 12, 2006, 12:45:59 AM

My guess would be the air shocks.  They always seem to sag on one side for some reason.

Cool. They'll be replaced with gas shocks eventually so I'm not worried. :)

Quotebut i espcecially like this particular shot of the sunset over the rockies, some how you managed to convey the majesty of gods creation in the heavens above and the mountains below.... Good Eye there Rack, you should be a pofessional Photograher.

:haha:

Good stuff, Brock. Yeah I'm getting in touch with my artistic side.

Brock Samson

Rack

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 12, 2006, 01:31:41 AM
Rack ya got any pics of girls?..

Yes, here's one that might actually be safe to post...

Danny Gutierrez

Looks like the underside is in real good shape. :yesnod:  Those quarters are probably past saving but you've got a solid project to work with.  Keep posting pics as you start working on her. ;D
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

tan top

Quote from: Danny Gutierrez on July 12, 2006, 03:52:41 AM
  Looks like the underside is in real good shape. :yesnod:  Those quarters are probably past saving but you've got a solid project to work with.  Keep posting pics as you start working on her. ;D
:iagree:         :yesnod:        intresting  photos    :scope:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

2Gunz

4402tuff4u

Rack, looks like the guy who delivered my Charger from Georgia delivered yours. Just like my car transport guy, he ripped/can-opened the rails like yours with the hook straps.  :flame: Too bad he had my Charger in the ground by the time I got to the delivery point. I should have stuck my head to look at the undercarriage before I handed over the money! Your Charger looks pretty solid! That undercoating did it's job! Your Charger's undercarriage could be sand blasted and cleaned up pretty nice! Very nice project!!! Keep us posted with progress! What is the significance of the photo showing the nail in the ground? Just curious...
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Rack

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 12, 2006, 05:59:13 AM
Rack, looks like the guy who delivered my Charger from Georgia delivered yours. Just like my car transport guy, he ripped/can-opened the rails like yours with the hook straps.  :flame: Too bad he had my Charger in the ground by the time I got to the delivery point. I should have stuck my head to look at the undercarriage before I handed over the money! Your Charger looks pretty solid! That undercoating did it's job! Your Charger's undercarriage could be sand blasted and cleaned up pretty nice! Very nice project!!! Keep us posted with progress! What is the significance of the photo showing the nail in the ground? Just curious...

Thanks for the words, yeah it looks pretty solid. :)

The pic of the nail, I just thought it was odd that a nail ended up in that spot. There's only about 2 feet from that side of the car to the fence, and a nail just happened to fall on the paved part of the driveway, right next to a tire. There were some workers doing some stuff outside near my charger last week. They won't be working at this house anymore. No way in hell should a nail have ended up in that spot. If the car was actually driveable I could of ended up driving over the nail. Anyway, I was laying on the ground and just happened to see it, figured I'd take a pic of it. :D

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 12, 2006, 05:59:13 AM
That was the one thing that I saw that I didn't like. WTF!

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nh_mopar_fan

Rack

Yeah I was wondering wtf they did to those rails as well. How do I fix that? Just hammer it back as straight as I can?

MassCharger73

i espcecially like this particular shot of the sunset over the rockies, some how you managed to convey the majesty of gods creation in the heavens above and the mountains below.... Good Eye there Rack, you should be a pofessional Photograher. 

Ooops, I actually laughed out loud. That's too funny. :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger

CharlieCharger

Nice looking project my frame rails too canned open..I was curious as to how about going to fix that aswell.!! good pic
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

2Gunz

I had the pleasure of seeing Bianca in person at E3.

And yes she is all of that and TWO bags of chips.

Heres a few pictures I took...........

And for people who now are in love, there are some less tasteful :) ones on the internet.

Rack

She can inject me with that green gunk anytime.  :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

Quotebut i espcecially like this particular shot of the sunset over the rockies, some how you managed to convey the majesty of gods creation in the heavens above and the mountains below.... Good Eye there Rack, you should be a pofessional Photograher.     

:smilielol:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Rack on July 12, 2006, 02:40:30 PM
Yeah I was wondering wtf they did to those rails as well. How do I fix that? Just hammer it back as straight as I can?

My body guy simply hammer them back as best as possible to their original position and welded the rip up. There is no easy way to get behind the rip to really get it nice and flat, unless you built a small tool to get in there.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 13, 2006, 05:48:15 AM

My body guy simply hammer them back as best as possible to their original position and welded the rip up. There is no easy way to get behind the rip to really get it nice and flat, unless you built a small tool to get in there.

Hammer and weld as best you can and then forget about it.

Jackass tow truck driver did the same thing to the pristine rear rails in my R/T.  Its easier to throw a hook i there than it is to fiddle with straps.  Douchebags.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Rack

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 13, 2006, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 13, 2006, 05:48:15 AM

Hammer and weld as best you can and then forget about it.

Jackass tow truck driver did the same thing to the pristine rear rails in my R/T.  Its easier to throw a hook i there than it is to fiddle with straps.  Douchebags.

That's putting it mildly.