News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new holley is here...with pics

Started by mikepmcs, July 11, 2006, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Came just now, what a monster.  Holley 750 HP :icon_smile_big:

They sent 2 gaskets, am I missing something or did they just mess up?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Before Install pics
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dodge freak

Sweet - that looks so nice-much better than that $370 carb. I can't see the gaskets too good but I think you use the one that fits your manifold or spacer the best. One might be 4 holes the other wide open. Read the inst. Who cares, I like getting extra stuff-for $500 bucks they should give you more than you need. Wounder what size jets are in it-should be very close to what you need. With the MSD now it will work fine even if the jets are 1-2 sizes off. I would just bolt it on, make sure you cap all vacuum lines you are not using. Hooking the linkage up is the hard part, I have no kick down rod-a manual valve body I have and you might want to get. When you get those 3.55 gears you can easily take off from a stop in 2nd gear. But you might want to wait till your trans goes out.

Notice how all your good stuff says "Race only" thats BS-its just for the smog police-it works fine on the street-too fine -makes the new cars look like crap. My valve body says the same thing. Trans guy laugh-says it works better than stock. Good Luck and enjoy your fine car now.

dodge freak

Hey is that a vacuum advance you have hook up ? If so you may want to get rid of it, Theres a lot about that on the old posts-some like it but others says you are better without it-I have none-but my advance comes in by 2500 rpms, that can cause some problems but some claim you get better milage.

mikepmcs

yup, i was in on all those vac threads as i was timing my car.  I agree, i think i'll be using the vac advance delete option as suggested by you and a few others.  mine is dialed in at about 36*  and i don't really care about mileage anyway on this car :icon_smile_big:
only issue i can see is i have a spreadbore manifold and this is for square, uh oh, hope it still runs for now.  it says don't use an adapter, so i guess i need suggestions on a new manifold now.

couple more pics.

v/r
Mike

dodge freak

Holley can kiss my a-- , why can't you use the adapter ? Cause Holley wants you to buy their manifold ? Really I have use eddy's brass one and had no problems. Like I said the is better manifolds out their but it will work . I would bolt it on WITH the adapter and see how it is . I like Offy manifolds but eddy's rpms are good if you want a duel plane .

Runner

it wshould bolt right up to that intake without an adapter     good luck and congrats on the nice carb   i love the holleys!!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

mikepmcs

ok i have the adapter, and i do right now have it bolted up straight to the manifold(no adapter).  I'm gonna run it like that first and see if it works ok. then i'll try it the other way and see if there is a difference.  little testing going on in Mike's Mopar Garage.  i'll let you know the results.
Had to modify the fuel rail the summit guy sold me cause it hit the dist. cap.  Cut and put rubber hose on it.  Nice! :icon_smile_angry:
No biggy, i'll post pics in a while.
v/r
Mike

dodge freak

Well maybe that Holley base plate will cover up that spreadbore opening, you can look to see if the base plate is large enough. If so great , it might be Holley is not like GM , if they can make it work on both types they will. Not sure if you have the exhaust crossover in the intake open, if so you may want a insulator gasket so the carb does not get super hot. I do and have just a 1/4" one, it works good here in cold Michigan. I am sure its colder in Maine.

I have hear that the motor has more power with the exhaust crossover block , but it used to foul the plugs up , but I have never try to run it that way with my MSD 7. Think it might be ok now-my back hurts now if I just change the intake-this getting old crap stinks. Boy and I be 42 now in 6 weeks. Oh boy I can't wait. :icon_smile_sad:

mikepmcs

it seemed to cover it up when I put the gasket on and stuff.  he fired up after a little bit of tinkering.  no pics right now, i'll post em tomorrow.
i'll probably end up putting the adapt plate on anyways just to help my fuel jerry rig i did work better(clearance issues)
can't run it tonight cause the weather stinks today.
thanks for the input, it sounds real good, no jumping for joy yet until i run it.
i'll keep you all posted.
i'll have to read up on that crossover dea, i'm a little ignorant on that.
i just need my new wires now(tomorrow probably) and i'll be all set, i think.
v/r
Mike

dodge freak

Yeah you should be in fine shape now, make sure you do one wire at a time, no point in screwing it up and spending hours fixing it. It rain hard most of the day here also, hey we are going to hit 90 degrees this weekend, yea, get to jump in my swimming pool and forget all about cars.

Those fuel lines are a pain, you should see mine, it has rubber hoses on it to.  Look at just 6T9 charger line in the has anybody ran a holley post. That is sweet, he should make a bunch and sell them on e-bay, I buy one.

firefighter3931

Those HP carbs are very nice. Lots of adjustability with idle/highspeed airbleeds. The carb should be pretty close right out of the box. Don't forget to check your float levels.  ;)

You can tune for improved performance once it's up and running.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Duey

Nice, Mike!  How's the kickdown and everything working out.  My pro-form hp has the same linkage on it...just wondering because you don't show a pick with the kickdown hooked up?  As well, how's the starting without a choke?

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

mikepmcs

It's fine without the choke i just need to get in it a little.  as far as the kickdown, it's adjusted all the way out and still does not kick it. i'm lost on that but the mechanism works on the tranny, so i'm guessing it gets the right pressure.  I  could be wrong but i dont know what else to do on the throttle linkage.  i'm putting the adapter on right now, wait on the pics cause i'm taking em as i go for lessons learned on an adapter plate(gaskets, having to cut em to fit the studs for the holley)
thanks
here's a pic with the original kickdown before the carb change.

v/r
Mike

dodge freak

I would find a good trans guy-one who is cool and is smart on Mopars and just get a manual valve body for it. That way you can get rid of that kickdown rod all together and the trans will go in any gear you like. Want to take off in 2nd or 3rd you can. I love mine, I would have a trans man install it cause out of the box it shifts very hard, too hard for the street. It can be tamed down , but my trans guy won't say how. He did tell me he can set a 727 trans to shift however hard or soft you like with that Cheete valve body. Once you get those 3.55 gears taking off in 2nd is fine, mine as fast as most SUV's in 2nd from a stop. Theres aways 1st gear but I use mine once or twice a day most of the time. Down shifting at speed is fine also-some say in bangs but I bet it shifts too hard, thats why. Mine is nice, you just have to tip the gas in a little before you down shift or it has a Little bang, no big deal.

dodge freak

Hey I got it Your throttle is not opening all the way. Yeah I bet thats it, have somebody floor the gas pedal-motor off- and check by hand at the carb. I bet it still can open up more.