News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle ID Chart

Started by Bob, July 11, 2006, 07:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I have seen the axle indentification chart someplace. I did a search and could not find anything. Does anyone know if it's already posted here?

Bob

firefighter3931

Here ya go Bob....this should help.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

That's it Ron. Question: I have a 74 big block charger with the 8 3/4 rear. Would this have been an option? The chart reads 72 and older.
Thanks

firefighter3931

Bob, i'm guessing that the 3rd member has been swapped out at some point. It's possible that the rear end is original to the car....but not probable. The 83/4 is more desirable from a strength standpoint, inmo. Parts are more readily available for the older 83/4 and it is a very strong unit. You have to beat rally hard on an 83/4 for a long time to break it.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

It was a low mileage car when I bought it in 02 and the chalk marks are still on the car and on the axle also. It appears to be all original. Maybe I got lucky.
Thanks

Nacho-RT74

the chart is something wrong on that... you can rarelly find a 9 1/4" axle on passenger vehicles. My car also has 8 3/4" axle and is a 74... of course my car is not USA assemblied and that could be a difference but I don't think so.

I have anyway a NOS 9 1/4" with sure grip axle where springs pedestal are located on same places than my  former axle however, axle is around 1/2" shorter from end to end. Badly is just the carrier and housing, no axles, cover or brake lines :(

Is really common BB cars with 8 3/4" and SB with 8 1/4" axles on any year... Maybe C bodies are different same as Trucks, but definitelly not A and B bodies
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Thanks Nacho/Firefighter.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 400 Big Block on July 11, 2006, 11:40:22 AM
It was a low mileage car when I bought it in 02 and the chalk marks are still on the car and on the axle also. It appears to be all original. Maybe I got lucky.
Thanks

That's interesting. Natcho just posted some additional info that sheds a little more light on the situation. Further to that...i've seen both 8.25 and 9.25 rears in 73-74 b-bodies. It's actually good that you've got the 83/4 in there allready....most guys are looking to upgrade to an 83/4.

Ron

Bob

Trying to buy a pinion seal at the parts store, they said your car does not list the 8 3/4. I was 99.99% sure it was. That's why I started the thread. I knew the chart was out there somewhere. The seal will cost me 9 bucks at Trak Auto. It sorta went bad comming back from Carlise saturday. Dripped right on my new black top driveway. I guess that's what I get for doing 150 mph. :angel: No just kidding.

Bob

Got the seal last evening and installed it. No more leak.
Thanks all.

no318

I had a 73 charger 400 car with a 8 3/4 also.  Appeared original.  I have used several 9 1/4's and they are TOUGH rears also.  Nothing wrong with one of them IMO.

Reidar

I have a -75 charger (360) with a 8 3/4.. I think thats kind of strange, but i do not think it has been changed. Offcourse I dont know that for sure, but the state of the car do not appear to have had to much work done on it.