News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar b-body prices

Started by h76, July 10, 2006, 08:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h76

Man!-I was just flicking through some car mags and searching on the internet-these b-bodies have really taken a steep price hike even over a year or 2 ago.
Heck-In 2000,I sold a running driving 68 GTX(440 4 spd dana 60 for $4500-I know I'm an idiot!)very respectable driver.that car looks like it would go at least 10-12k now. I see a lot in 20-30k range and very few in the 5-10k range(b-bodies)?What has bumped up these prices so much?

Brock Samson

I would guess the Dukes Movie a year ago cause the prices seemed to spike at that time. Especially for the second gens. led by the '69s... sorry you other Yr. guys..
That and that the rest of the world is finally catching on how bitching these Chargers actually are.  :icon_smile_wink:

69charger2002

personally i think the dukes movie had about a 2% effect on 69 charger prices going up. it seemed as if restored general lees went sky high for about 3 weeks there back last august, but other than that, they have been steadily going up 5-10% a year since i started messing with them back in '97
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

kamkuda

Ebody prices help drive up the prices too.  With Hemi Cuda Convertibles in the 3-5 million range, everything is going up.

Mike DC

I think about 2/3 of the increase is just due to the supply of medium-condition/price cars and parts dwindling, and 1/3 because of increased demand lately. 

In the Mopar hobby, everything is getting rarer & more expensive.  When people can't find a less-popular-year B-body or a cheapo A-body project that needs any less resto work than a '68-70 B-bodies anymore, more guys are gonna say, "Screw the Duster, for all this work I'm just gonna build the '69 Charger I really want in the first place."

And among the mainstream hot-rodding world, there's just been a growing "feeling in the air" than a Mopar B or E body is the hot thing to have right now.  We've had more wealthy Chevy guys getting into Mopars lately than any time I can remember.  More new buyers, but no more new cars & parts to supply them with.

------------------------------------

I agree on the DOH movie.  It spiked '68/69 & GL clone prices for a few months in 2005, but nothing long term. 

IMHO it wasn't a good enough movie to hook a lot of new people on the GL.  Virtually every person who walked out of the movie feeling serious about getting a GL was already feeling serious about getting a GL long before they walked into the movie.

mikepmcs

I agree Mike.  I wanted one since I was a lot younger.  Got him now and I ain't never selling it. :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

The reason the prices are going up in general in the muscle car market is because all the guys in their 40s and 50s with money now once owned these cars back when they were new, they sold them to buy minivans, station wagons and SUVs in the 80s and 90s, and are now reliving their youth. Limited supply + high demand = high prices. The reason Mopars are going up in value faster than GM and Ford is because fewer of them were made and survived.

Mike DC

That's a lot of it. 

There's also the generational issue.
Everybody wants the '69 Dodge musclecar.  But nobody wants the 1959 model, nor the 1979, nor the '89, nor even the '99 Dodge musclecar.  So every year the demand is increasing while the supply is dwindling.  We've practically got father, son, and grandson all competing for the same damn cars.

And at "Dukesfest" last month, I saw tens of thousands  of little grade-school-age kids all wearing orange T-shirts and clutching General Lee toys . . .

Steve P.

Quote from: bull on July 11, 2006, 01:16:53 PM
The reason the prices are going up in general in the muscle car market is because all the guys in their 40s and 50s with money now once owned these cars back when they were new, they sold them to buy minivans, station wagons and SUVs in the 80s and 90s, and are now reliving their youth. Limited supply + high demand = high prices. The reason Mopars are going up in value faster than GM and Ford is because fewer of them were made and survived.

:iagree:  And Ebay helped as far as people being able to find parts, but at AUCTION PRICES. The more people have to spend and the more people there are spending the higher the prices go.. I've seen people overbid just because they were pissed off that someone else bid a buck higher. (I'LL SHOW YOU, YOU BAS%#*&)!!  A few of those and the price goes up..

Then you have the nut cases at the Barrett Jackson Millionaire festival!!!  A million dollars for a 70' LS-6 Chevelle..  Are you CRAZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??   ???
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Brock Samson

At an auction a little over 10 years ago there was a perfectly fresh LS-6 clone El camino auctioned off for $14K,...
you made me remember that car...

Steve P.

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 11, 2006, 06:28:50 PM
At an auction a little over 10 years ago there was a perfectly fresh LS-6 clone El camino auctioned off for $14K,...
you made me remember that car...

Sorry Strat.. ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit4142

I'm glad I've got mine!   And she isn't going anywhere.    ;D
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

PocketThunder

Quote from: Bandit4142 on July 12, 2006, 08:12:14 PM

Me too!  Damn!  When i bought my #5 condition 500 rust bucket for $15k 3 years ago everybody thought i was nuts.   Now i cant even find another one.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

uskatebetter

I scored my '69 for $200 ;D

shes a little ruff, yes, and not running at the time hahah.

BUT, she is a numbers matching 3 speed and I wouldnt trade her for the world.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI wouldnt trade her for the world. 
very good  :2thumbs:
i get attached to my rides too, no matter what shape there in. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

The70RT

I am glad I bought mine for a grand back in 78. I couldn't afford to buy one and restore it now too. I kind of feel like i am restoring a free car since I paid for it sooooo long ago :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69charger2002

sooooo long ago like this post was??? lol kidding
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

71bee

Don't forget about us 3rd gen. owners. I've noticed a significant price increase on my bee as of lately.

last year, I had my insurance adjuster come out for the anual appraisal. he quoted me 28k for insurance coverage. this year it went up to 33k. I think the new Charger Super Bee might have something to do with it. then again, maybe the 71's are the only 3rd gen Chargers getting much notice, (aside from some of the Rallye models offered in '72) as it was the last year for any true HP cars offered from Chrysler. all I know, is there is both good and bad sides to this situation.

konigcharger

in 04 when i got my car, it was appraised by the insurance at $5000 this year it was appraised at $12000 :yesnod:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Fitz73Chrgr

We bought our 73 in running driving condition back in March of 03 for $1200.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

41husk

I believe the 2nd gens are going up due to a few factors, Supply and demand, Crazy E body prices, Babby boomers returning to child hood, BJ sales, and the artistic factor.  Muscle cars were a work of art many cars from the 20 and 30s were simply functional and diddn't have the lines or stance of the 60-70 era cars, frankly niether due the new cars and that is why so many manufactures are going retro, but they don't go back to 20s or even 50s, they go back to the muscle car era.  3rd gens have for a long time been looked on as a muscle car step child, largely due to the de muscling of the drive train due to emissions, insurance  and gas prices.  Recent prices of 2nd gen and E bodies are starting to effect 3rd gen prices.  I think they will only go up in the years to come.  Thats not why I am doing a 3rd gen car.  As far as I am concerned investment value is what you tell your wife to justify your purchase and hours spent restoring and pampering "your investment".  People who purchase a classic car for an investment are really doing some risky investing.  To many factors dictate the price of these vehicles.  If the rich crowd who paid 6 figures for their "investment" tire of it and can get a proffit, it's no big deal, sell it at a loss and claim that loss and they come out fine.  The average Joe, who pays 50k, draining his savings or borowing against his house for the 383 nice show and go because it has always been a dream, that finds himself with medical bills, kids tuition and what ever else life throws at us, suddenly he needs to sell his dream car, but the bottom has fallen out of the market and he can't find anyone willing to even give him his 50k back, thats the guy that loses.  Not the rich guy who has driven up prices.  Bottom line, every car I have bought, I got with the understanding, I may never get my investment back.  If you believe your car is alway going to increase in value and you can never lose on it,  go get some lottery tickets, Im sure you will be a millionaire tommorow. :Twocents: 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

The70RT

Quote from: 41husk on March 28, 2007, 07:28:22 AM
I believe the 2nd gens are going up due to a few factors, Supply and demand, Crazy E body prices, Babby boomers returning to child hood, BJ sales, and the artistic factor.  Muscle cars were a work of art many cars from the 20 and 30s were simply functional and diddn't have the lines or stance of the 60-70 era cars, frankly niether due the new cars and that is why so many manufactures are going retro, but they don't go back to 20s or even 50s, they go back to the muscle car era.  3rd gens have for a long time been looked on as a muscle car step child, largely due to the de muscling of the drive train due to emissions, insurance  and gas prices.  Recent prices of 2nd gen and E bodies are starting to effect 3rd gen prices.  I think they will only go up in the years to come.  Thats not why I am doing a 3rd gen car.  As far as I am concerned investment value is what you tell your wife to justify your purchase and hours spent restoring and pampering "your investment".  People who purchase a classic car for an investment are really doing some risky investing.  To many factors dictate the price of these vehicles.  If the rich crowd who paid 6 figures for their "investment" tire of it and can get a proffit, it's no big deal, sell it at a loss and claim that loss and they come out fine.  The average Joe, who pays 50k, draining his savings or borowing against his house for the 383 nice show and go because it has always been a dream, that finds himself with medical bills, kids tuition and what ever else life throws at us, suddenly he needs to sell his dream car, but the bottom has fallen out of the market and he can't find anyone willing to even give him his 50k back, thats the guy that loses.  Not the rich guy who has driven up prices.  Bottom line, every car I have bought, I got with the understanding, I may never get my investment back.  If you believe your car is alway going to increase in value and you can never lose on it,  go get some lottery tickets, Im sure you will be a millionaire tommorow. :Twocents: 

I will have maybe 15K invested in mine when done. It won't be a concourse show car but a fairly nice restored driver........I don't see me losing one red cent...but as I stated I am moreless starting out with a free car since it was purchased so long ago. IMO.

41husk

I am in no way saying every one involved in the hobby is going to lose money.  I am just warning against getting into for the purpose of investing.  I don't think I will lose money either nor do I care, I bought my 70 Challenger convertible for $2,000 in 1982,  I would estimate having another 15k in her before it's done.  I bought to 68s for $4,000 sold one for $2500 to due the other and spent about $10,000 on it so I have $12,000 in a 68 383 #s matching car and $17,000 in the vert.  I don't think I will ever lose on either of those but who knows? As for my 73 rallye, I over paid for it, I gave $7,500 and will have about $12,000 in it before it's finished, with todays prices I can maybe break even.  Five are 10 years from now who knows.  It is a U code Rallye but the 440 is not #s matching. it has a 71 Air grabber hood (That over 1K has gone into making functional, but it still aint there) I am making a Super Bee clone and Changing to sublime wich is not a correct color for that year.  Those changes may hurt the value, but who cares it's my car and thats how I want it.  I did not get it for an investmint, I got it because I wanted to enjoy it.  So, as long as I enjoy them, I can't lose, regaurdless of what the market value does.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

The70RT

Quote from: 41husk on March 28, 2007, 11:31:01 AM
I am in no way saying every one involved in the hobby is going to lose money.  I am just warning against getting into for the purpose of investing.  I don't think I will lose money either nor do I care, I bought my 70 Challenger convertible for $2,000 in 1982,  I would estimate having another 15k in her before it's done.  I bought to 68s for $4,000 sold one for $2500 to due the other and spent about $10,000 on it so I have $12,000 in a 68 383 #s matching car and $17,000 in the vert.  I don't think I will ever lose on either of those but who knows? As for my 73 rallye, I over paid for it, I gave $7,500 and will have about $12,000 in it before it's finished, with todays prices I can maybe break even.  Five are 10 years from now who knows.  It is a U code Rallye but the 440 is not #s matching. it has a 71 Air grabber hood (That over 1K has gone into making functional, but it still aint there) I am making a Super Bee clone and Changing to sublime wich is not a correct color for that year.  Those changes may hurt the value, but who cares it's my car and thats how I want it.  I did not get it for an investmint, I got it because I wanted to enjoy it.  So, as long as I enjoy them, I can't lose, regaurdless of what the market value does.

Wow nice collection.....and a great investment to say the least!

41husk

Thanks, all but the 73 were very good deals.  Even if the bottom falls out of the market and I never see a red cent from these cars, the enjoyment and comarotery I have gotten from them is well worth the money spent.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

70charginglizard

Quote from: Bandit4142 on July 12, 2006, 08:12:14 PM
:iagree:
Especially to some millionare who will just use it as a museum piece.
70charginglizard

hemi-hampton

I say the hemi Cuda's did it. Just 3 years ago the 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible was a 1 million $ car. Then next year 2 Million, Then 3 Million now supposably 5 million. This made every mopar under it double or triple overnight practically. Just my opinion. LEON.

Wheels of Terror

I buy and restore what I like. The value is an added benifit.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

71bee

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on March 28, 2007, 09:43:15 PM
:iagree: yup. what he said.

mikepmcs

Quote from: 71bee on March 29, 2007, 12:50:06 AM

What SHE said.  I will direct you to this thread she started. :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26423.msg289541.html#msg289541

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

41husk

Quote from: 71bee on March 29, 2007, 12:50:06 AM
He is a she, but Yep, what she said!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

71bee

Ooops! I'm SHo SHorry!  :P  :icon_smile_big:

Wheels of terror is a she? hmmmmmmm, you go girl!