News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator Trouble ??

Started by G Force, July 10, 2006, 06:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Force

My car keeps killing batteries.. 
I have purchased and installed two new alternators and two new regulators to try and resolve the problem.
A person that works at Autozone tested the altyernator IN the car and said  the alternator is not putting out power.
I removed the alternator and it tested fine OUT of the vehical.
All the wires in the car are new.
The alternator is a 60 AMP.
I have dual electric fans that pull approx. 20 AMps.
Any Ideas on how I can further trouble shoot this problem  ??? 
Thanks for your replies..

dkn1997

common problem with OE alts is not charging well at idle, your fans obviousely don't help much.  you don't need so much killer amps as you need good charging at idle.  Since you have electric fans, a late model alt should not bother you. late 90's/early 00's denso alts of mopar v8's drop right in, externally regulated, etc...

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61642

that's from a while ago and the alt is still performing perfectly in my car. one of the best mods you can do.  I cannot say for sure what alts fit, but I know one off of an 02 1 ton ram van will. 

I went with the 130 amp because it was 75 bucks new at the time, but you could easily get away with a 90 amp.  those go dirt cheap on ebag, probably score one for 30 bucks if you are patient.
RECHRGED

firefighter3931

:iagree: Often at low engine speeds the output will suffer. If your idle is too low you will be in a constant discharge situation....especially with a 20amp draw created by the dual fans. It's time for a new (bigger) alternator for sure.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Nacho-RT74

you can go for a new alternator as DKN stated or simply go to any junkyard and find a lates 70s Mopar alt what is enough, They drive around 80-90 amps on stock form, since have a bigger stator able to capture more magnetic field. Uses the same rotor, bearings, pulley even is smaller than older stock ones and makes spin faster at iddle
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dkn1997

nacho, how does that alt charge at idle?  the late 70's alt was my first choice when I did the swap, but some guys on another board talked me out of it.   they told me that it had good amp output, but that it would still not charge at idle as well as a new denso style....

I cannot say for sure much about the mopar 70's alt, but I can tell you that the denso kicks hiney!! 
RECHRGED

mopar1968

Quote from: G Force on July 10, 2006, 06:48:37 PM
My car keeps killing batteries.. 
I have purchased and installed two new alternators and two new regulators to try and resolve the problem.
A person that works at Autozone tested the altyernator IN the car and said  the alternator is not putting out power.
I removed the alternator and it tested fine OUT of the vehical.
All the wires in the car are new.
The alternator is a 60 AMP.
I have dual electric fans that pull approx. 20 AMps.
Any Ideas on how I can further trouble shoot this problem  ??? 
Thanks for your replies..

If it's not putting out any charging voltage, it doesn't matter what you have connected.  I would double check your field wiring.  That is what tells the alternator when to come on.  Usually green, and some alt's have dual and some have single.  I believe you can trick it if you apply power to one of them to check and see if it charges.  Find out from the Autozone guy which term is the field, and what voltage is needed to activate the alt.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: dkn1997 on July 12, 2006, 05:27:07 PM
nacho, how does that alt charge at idle?  the late 70's alt was my first choice when I did the swap, but some guys on another board talked me out of it.   they told me that it had good amp output, but that it would still not charge at idle as well as a new denso style....

I cannot say for sure much about the mopar 70's alt, but I can tell you that the denso kicks hiney!! 

Lates 70s alts ( also earliers 80s ) are those that have hidden the stator, not the visible ones. This stator is wider and is able to capture more magnetic field on every rotor spin. I have this alt and get charge at iddle even with halogen headlamps upgrade ;). These alts come already with the smaller pulley.

If course I'm not saying you are wrong LOL... just saying there is ANOTHER option. I did and I'm really happy.

Also did run the parallel wires. No peaks on charge when press gas pedal since is charging at iddle with average low charge it means no overheating anywhere. I'm not getting overheats on back of ammeter or contacts ( beside the A/C lever fan ) and slightly heating on ignition switch plug harness undercolumn.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dkn1997

yeah, baby!!  it's all good.
RECHRGED

purple70rt

I had a bad starter one time that kept draining the battery, worked fine, but that was the problem.

G Force

When the alternator was tested the the rpms of the engine was at approx. 2500 and it still did not put out prpoer current.
I have seen some internal upgrade kits available for stock style alternators. Has anyone had experience with any of these internal upgrade kit? I would like to keep the original looking alternator.

myk

Man, those are some pricey units.  So, if the alternator is internally regulated then you can just leave out all of the regulator wiring?  I'd like to run electric fans also, but my setup is weak at charging also-I'm figuring there's something wrong with the wiring and it won't matter how many 'amps the alternator puts out...

TylerCharger69

I went with a GM alternator.....I figure...to hell with external regulators  and field wiring.  I figure....only one underhood component to go bad.

myk

That sounds great.  How does it wire up?

nick_iam

gah! GM tech on a mopar.

nothing wrong with external regulators. field wiring is too complicated? there is only 2 wires, a green one and a blue one.... besides, the reg on firewall will be that much cooler than the internal one. and what when your internal reg eats it? buy a whole 'nother alternator.. but with external just replace the little $10. box..

but jeez, GM on a mopar?! :rotz:
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

TylerCharger69

Well...this  alternator has been on this car for some time  and i never had any trouble out of it.   It's not the matter of how many wires or whatever,  it's the matter of if there ever IS a problem...there is only one component.  I have a Ford rear end in this car too......do you have a problem with that?   Oh well......my car...not yours.   Mopar alternators  aren't the best anyway.

nick_iam

a 9"?

so what are you gonna call this creation of yours? shirley you wont claim a mopar badge..

ford & dodge & chevy have offspring, imagine that. call it a fodgy  :eyes:

TylerCharger69

Well....I guess  we were overdue for a smartass in this forum.....never fails....You post back in forth to each other forever it seems....sharing other peoples trials and tribulations, helping each other out, sharing configurations of one another, making friends that you can count on for help,  and an ass-clown has to appoint himself to be the "Judge" of this forum.  No one is criticizing YOU for being a gay pillow biter, so don't come here criticizing OUR builds or projects that may just be our preference. :nutkick:

TylerCharger69

Oh...and for the record.....it's   "surely"   not "shirley"..............jeeeeeeeees.......can you say "Project Literacy"?

Chryco Psycho

I have not had problems with Mopar Dual field alts , the worst thing seems to be the brushes wear out & you can replace them on the car for $6   

nick_iam

shirley was a reference to the infamous airplane movie...  as in "dont call me shirley"  guess that slipped you by eh?

and you are the one that asked me if i had a prob. with a 9 in a mopar, so i said yeh and clarified alittle. but by all means, do your hack job, you are totally right. its your car. hauls your ass around, not mine.

haha, ok. "ass clown" & "gay pillow biter" oo you big toughy.. nice job. never called you a dumbass for raping a brand pal. im done with this, just wanted to let em know what a shame it is to see that hack style....

oh and btw, whens the vtec goin' in?

TylerCharger69

Good...now go....what the hell is a vtec anyway?

smasherofall

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 05, 2006, 11:03:29 PM
Well....I guess  we were overdue for a smartass in this forum.....never fails....You post back in forth to each other forever it seems....sharing other peoples trials and tribulations, helping each other out, sharing configurations of one another, making friends that you can count on for help,  and an ass-clown has to appoint himself to be the "Judge" of this forum.  No one is criticizing YOU for being a gay pillow biter, so don't come here criticizing OUR builds or projects that may just be our preference. :nutkick:

I agree, no need for that on here. If you have a need to confront somebody, go back to moparts.

TylerCharger69

I totally agree smasher.....I'm sure others will chime in on this one...without a doubt.....but then again...we just need to consider the source