News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This might be a newbie question but......

Started by Blade, July 10, 2006, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

...I'll ask it anyway.  I replaced the valve cover gaskets with mp silicone replacements from the dealer.  I don't usually do stuff like this but the passenger side was leaking and it was driving me crazy.  I know you are not supposed to over tighten (the dealer told me this 100 times) the bolts holding down the valve covers,  but I think they could be tighter.  Now smoke is coming out of the passenger valve cover like crazy.  It could be that I made a mess when I put that valve cover had to burn off, but I think I waited a sufficient amount of time for any oil to burn off.  When I run my finger on the seem, I get nice new oil on them, not old gunk.  I asked the dealer for torque specs, he said tighten 'till they stop leaking.  My question:  am I supposed to tighten the bolts while the engine is running so I can see the smoke subside, or should I torque them to specs (even though these are silicone gaskets vs cork that the specs would be based on) while cold and see where that leaves me?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

firefighter3931

Usually 1/2 turn past snug will do it. I like to silicone the gasket to the valvecover to keep it in place. Let the silicone set up for several hours before installing the valvecover. This will keep the gaskets where they're supposed to be. It shouldn't take much to seal if everything is aligned properly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 10, 2006, 07:24:46 PM
Usually 1/2 turn past snug will do it. I like to silicone the gasket to the valvecover to keep it in place. Let the silicone set up for several hours before installing the valvecover. This will keep the gaskets where they're supposed to be. It shouldn't take much to seal if everything is aligned properly.

Ron
I agree with Ron,and if I was you after your done, do  a quick degrease on the engine, that way any new leaks come apparent fast-Andy

Blade

Thanks Ron and Andy!  Are you sure a half turn past snug isn't too tight?  I will degrease the engine, good idea.

wish4a68

1/2 past snug is good. Usually what happens is that the gasket slides/shifts out of place when putting the cover on top, similar to intake manifold gasket leaks after installation, so its important to minimize movement of the cover on top of the head. Like Ron mentioned, using a bit of silicone will help keep a gasket in place.