News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Rear Spoiler

Started by Jim Curnane, July 08, 2006, 06:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Curnane

Hey guys I just got my copy of the Aug edition of Mopar Muscle featuring the 72 Rallye I like the spread almost identical to my car. This car is supossed to me all origanal according to the artical there is a rear spoiler on it some one on this board in a previous post said it was not offered for this year anyone know ???

moparguy01

it also looks real far forward to me.

chargedup

Looks like a 1970 Go Wing like the ones you could find on 1970 GTX.

2fast4u

I thought the 71 and up Chargers didn't have a spoiler option!  Am I wrong!?  someone please clear this one up who has far greater knowledge than I.  ???

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

hemihead

That looks like an odd position to me,and that is a 70 style wing.71 had the Gull style wing.I don't remember if 72 had a Wing option.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TruckDriver

That car belongs to Gadabra on the the Third Gen Registry site now. You guy are more then welcome to come on over and ask him personally ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

73chgrSE

I always wanted a spoiler on mine even though it's a 73 ans they didn't come on them originally. But I felt the one most people have is alittle to small looking on a charger. Is there a larger one available anywhere? Not as large as the "dayclona" of course, but slightly wider (right to left) than the one picture in the post above?

2fast4u

This spoiler is the gull wing spoiler....right?  But wasn't it a dealer installed item?

Jim Curnane

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on July 09, 2006, 10:30:24 AM
That car belongs to Gadabra on the the Third Gen Registry site now. You guy are more then welcome to come on over and ask him personally ;)

Went over to your site how would I obtain his email address ???

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 2fast4u on July 08, 2006, 11:31:52 PM
I thought the 71 and up Chargers didn't have a spoiler option!  Am I wrong!?  someone please clear this one up who has far greater knowledge than I.  ???

2fast

You are right, however is the same than 440+6 Chargers... last year in 71 but were three assemblied on 72.

I have a 73 trunk lid with pedestal wings cut outs on lower frame/skin... well was on a 73 mounted that I parted out... I have to check the cilinder area to know if really was a 73 part.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

chargerkid

The 71's had rear gull wing spoilers.  The one shown in the magazine isn't even close to a 71 gull wing.  Who said there were (3) 440 6 pack cars in 72??????

Brock Samson

all those Chargers are Smoking!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: chargerkid on July 10, 2006, 12:41:35 PM
The 71's had rear gull wing spoilers.  The one shown in the magazine isn't even close to a 71 gull wing.  Who said there were (3) 440 6 pack cars in 72??????

Has been told here on the board several times... I think somebody posted from White book... not sure about that ??? I don't have the proofs
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Jim Curnane

I did not receive the information on this question yet did not want it to fall to the wayside. Thanks Jim

chargerkid

There are actually 7 72' 440 six pack cars.  I am still trying to get my hands on one of them that is here locally.  Galen's book isn't always correct.

I like how they say original on that car.  Look at the decklid emblems!

KMPX2

Hey chargerkid is that 72 440 six pack you are wanting to get your hands on a Top Banana Yellow car?

chargerkid

I think you are referring to Mikey's car.

Goldfinger71

I know of a 72 440+6 RR....He is a fellow board member on moparts.com. :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

2fast4u

I found my photo of the '71 prototype Charger.   It's the rear shot and has the Spoiler that didn't make production as far as I know.

2fast

ipstrategies

That prototype 71 is cool.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Lowprofile

Quote from: ipstrategies on July 15, 2006, 12:28:35 PM
That prototype 71 is cool.

Now that is an understatement!  :drool5:  I think Mother Mopar missed the boat on that one.  :yesnod:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

rt green

i suppose a guy could make his own proto type if he wanted to bad enough.  protoclone?
third string oil changer

buttermilksloth

does anyone have the full set of pics of that 71 prototype?
Proud member of the Kansas Mafia

Nacho-RT74

I have this link since long time ago, and I thought was a complete view, but doesn't, anyway I'll post.
http://home.att.net/~scatpack/prototypes.htm

1972Rallye

Quote from: Jim Curnane on July 11, 2006, 08:02:41 PM
I did not receive the information on this question yet did not want it to fall to the wayside. Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,
To answer your specific question, the rear spoiler was not a factory option in '72.  Dealers may have installed them to make the car look "sportier" or at a customers request.  The early '72 deck lids still had the cut-outs in the inner panel for the spoiler.  They removed the cut-outs later in the '72 production run.

Both front and rear spoilers were available in '71.   You could get both by adding option group code A45.  The rear only was available as option code J81.

Hope that helped,
Bob

Jim Curnane

Quote from: 1972Rallye on July 17, 2006, 07:03:53 AM

Hi Jim,
To answer your specific question, the rear spoiler was not a factory option in '72.  Dealers may have installed them to make the car look "sportier" or at a customers request.  The early '72 deck lids still had the cut-outs in the inner panel for the spoiler.  They removed the cut-outs later in the '72 production run.

Both front and rear spoilers were available in '71.   You could get both by adding option group code A45.  The rear only was available as option code J81.

Hope that helped,
Bob

THANKS BOB

2fast4u

Quote from: 1972Rallye on July 17, 2006, 07:03:53 AM

Hi Jim,

Hope that helped,
Bob

Okay, that answers some questions Bob.....Thank You!   I have just one more question though.  Which spoiler was factory on the '71's on the rear?  Was it the Gull wing spoiler or the other?

2fast

konigcharger

the go-wing '71 only... well let the scholars debate that

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

1972Rallye

Quote from: konigcharger on July 18, 2006, 01:21:58 AM
the go-wing '71 only... well let the scholars debate that

I agree... the Gull/Go Wing was '71 only.

2fast4u

Thanks for clearin' that up for me............

2fast

chargerkid

Thought I mentioned in an earlier in this post 71's had the gull wing spoiler.

If you want one, contact First Place Auto in Ohio.  They sell the spoilers and brackets.