News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone race dirtrack?

Started by 73-charger-383, July 07, 2006, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

I went to a race last night and now am really considering running a car next year.......
-i'm looking for advice on a motor buildup.

the rules are .450 max lift cam
max 9.5:1 comp
max .060 overbore
no magnum heads
cast iron exhaust ...no center dumps
stock ignition
no roller lifters
no aluminum intake, heads or blocks

The engine would be built for 1/4 dirt tracks.

any suggestions on buildups/cars??

if anyone gets really involved in this post the race sactioning body is http://www.noparacing.com

thanks for you input guys

73-charger-383

sorry, i'm looking to run in the pure stock class........i don't have the funds to step up to super stock

694spdRT

Looks like you will need to find a set of 308 heads if the newer Magnums are not allowed. I would also assume the older stock heads are allowed even if they were on 340 magnums.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Lightning

I was facing the same thing down here, except it was a 1/2 mile paved track.  That's why I'm going road racing instead.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

defiance

Wow, that's stinky rules...  I raced one season at a little local 1/4 dirt track around where I lived (Centerville, AR)...  I was still a 'chevy' guy at the time, running a monte carlo w/350...  My dad and I both ran in the entry level class, he took season 1st place with his malibu, I took 3rd, and a guy running a 360 (can't remember what the body was, something boring tho) took 2nd.  Honestly, though, the 360 guy and I both drove better per race, but we both came in several weeks into the season.  He was TOUGH to beat!
Anyway, though, I was a pretty good driver, but my dad did most of the maintenance, so I don't really know diddly about dirt track setups...  And the tiny bit I picked up from him wouldn't relate anyway, being chevy-fied :P

But hey, one thing I can say - dirt track is FUN!!! :)

moparguy01

well dirt tracks usually try to discourage mopar use. but if you can get away with running a 360 do it. if not, build a 318. go to the limit on absolutely everything. also build the engine to spin up to high RPM's. port and polish the heads, polish the inside of the intake under the carburator. also see if you can use roller rocker arms. if thats the case you get some 1.6 ratio rockers, since technically you are still running a .450 lift cam. it just acts bigger.

then run the steepest rear gear you can and still spin the RPMS your aiming for. then you can play with weights on the car, with mopars its easier since you can just adjust the torsion bars to help it turn better, since your always turning left.

Above all, realize that no matter what you will not pay for your car by racing at small tracks. so go out and have fun, win or loose.

defiance

Yes- you do have to keep that in mind.  My dad and I both won buttloads of races, and 350 parts are dirt cheap, but we still probably lost around $150-$200 per weekend out there, counting tires, fuel, parts, etc.  Prize money -at our track at least - was crap.

It was SOOOO worth it, though!! :D  Ooooooo the stories :P  Our track was run pretty shoddy... One night a drunk guy came up to me as I was in the car lined up to pull out on the track, stuck his head in the car, and said "Uh - watch out on turn 4, they spilt some shit!"  I waved and smiled, thinking he was just being a drunken idiot... 
Then we did our lineup, got the green coming out of turn 3, and the first 6 cars (me included) cluster-farked each other into the wall after sliding like mad taking off on the turn 4 slop!!!

Listen to those drunk guys... good advice... :)