News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket parts for 69 Charger...

Started by mauibarber, July 07, 2006, 03:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

Hi everyone,
I have been doing some research on purchasing a 1969 Charger but was having a hard time finding places to buy parts.  I can find sites that sell a handful of different parts but not a "one stop shop" so to speak.  Could anybody give me a couple of links to some of the BIG charger parts suppliers?
I currently own a 1957 Chevy Bel Air and a 1981 Delorean.  These cars are easy to own because buying parts is as simple as going to one or two websites and clicking.  Any chance owning a Charger would be the same way?  Thanks for all your help.
-Alex

Rack

The biggest ones I know of (from reading this site) are year 1, summit, shermanparts, and jacksautoparts.

But those will only take you so far. It all depends on how much work you'll do yourself, and how much you'll farm out. For example, if you want to have someone else do your seats for you I hear legendary auto interiors is real good.

Others will chime in with even more places you can shop.

mikepmcs

Welcome to the site.  And no way is Mopar plug and play like those other manufacturers.  You wanna 2nd gen charger(68-70) you are gonna earn it if you buy one to restore.  You can find some parts every now and again, but front end sheet metal,grills,etc... is hard to come by.  The guys on this site help each other out as much as possible, but as far as a one stop shop, no.  you gotta dig.  the stuff is out there but just takes a while.  Don't let that scare you, it's worth it in the end.

my suggestion to you is take as much as you can and buy one as complete or near to done as you can find.  it's gonna be expensive but worth it in my opinion.
when you find something you want, post it up on here with plenty of pics and we'll scrutinize it virtually for you so you can make an educated decision if that is the one to buy.
a lot of these guys are car gods on here and are more than willing to help you out.  You have landed on the best car forum in the world, bar none.   Matter of fact this is the greatest thing i've ever been a part of next to the Navy.
Good Luck
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mike DC

Welcome to the site.

In terms of restoration parts for the car body, try Year One or the Paddock.  These places don't have EVERYTHING and they're often not the cheapest place to buy things either.  But they try to carry the vast majority of what is out there so they're good catalogs to have around for reference.

Compared to Chevys, there just isn't much stuff being reproduced for Chargers.  All the mechanical drivetrain & suspension stuff is pretty well covered these days, but the body is another story entirely.  You can basically buy the rear 1/3 of the car's sheetmetal and most of the interior upholstery.  Not much else except smaller parts.  (NO full passenger floorpans, NO steel front fenders, NO steel hoods, NO front grilles, etc.)  Most of the body has to be pieced together from 36-year-old used parts, which are getting a lot more expensive every year.

So it's vitally important to buy a Charger body that's complete and not too badly rusted.  I guarantee you'll end up re-using most of the pieces on it.

mauibarber

Thanks for all the information!  I definitely agree that you get what you pay for when it comes to cars.  One more quick question.  You said you can't get metal front fenders and hoods.  Does this mean somebody makes a fiberglass version?
-alex

golden73

Quote from: mauibarber on July 07, 2006, 01:35:07 PM
Thanks for all the information!  I definitely agree that you get what you pay for when it comes to cars.  One more quick question.  You said you can't get metal front fenders and hoods.  Does this mean somebody makes a fiberglass version?
-alex

Yes, you can get fiberglass... although I heard they don't fit well at all.