News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grill parts in dishwasher?

Started by terrible one, July 05, 2006, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Hey guys. I'm about to start cleaning my grill and getting it ready for paint. I was thinking about putting the pieces in the dishwasher to clean. Would this be okay to do? I don't want to end up warping my parts or something like that by doing this.

SirNik73

I've used a dishwasher for just about everything... from pulling the electronice out of a keybored and then washing it, to putting an aluminum intake manifold in the dishwasher at my friends apartment a few weeks before he moved  ;)

I've never done anything that i couldn't replace, but i haven't had any problems. make sure the heat dry is off. and if you have a setting to wash with cold water, I'd do that first and see how good it works....
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

jaak

I would be more worry about what my wife would do to me, than
what the dishwasher would do to my parts, LOL  :nana:

Jason

Rack

Let us know how it goes for you, TO. I'd be interested in trying that out too, but it's your idea so I'll let you do it first.  :yesnod:

Shakey

I put my pieces in a improvised washer in the driveway.  Take one large garbage can, fill it with very hot water, add soap and then an air line with a clamp to regulate the flow of air into the water.  Did a great job however, nothing works better than a bit of elbow grease.  As the parts were bubbling in the washer, I took turns at them with some soft bristle brushes.  Toothbrushes work great.

Rack

Quote from: Shakey on July 05, 2006, 10:56:20 PM
I put my pieces in a improvised washer in the driveway.  Take one large garbage can, fill it with very hot water, add soap and then an air line with a clamp to regulate the flow of air into the water.  Did a great job however, nothing works better than a bit of elbow grease.  As the parts were bubbling in the washer, I took turns at them with some soft bristle brushes.  Toothbrushes work great.

I did that to one section of my grill earlier today (got it from reading one of your earlier posts). Need to take the Simple Green to it again and then start with the wet sanding.

Other then a few pieces that are broken, it's starting to look great.

How did you get all the paint out of the fin sections? That part is proving to be a real PITA.

terrible one

Thanks guys. I think I would do better doing something like Shakey, and being able to scrub at it.

Shakey

Quote from: Rack on July 05, 2006, 11:01:25 PM

I did that to one section of my grill earlier today (got it from reading one of your earlier posts). Need to take the Simple Green to it again and then start with the wet sanding.

How did you get all the paint out of the fin sections? That part is proving to be a real PITA.

I wrapped a few popsicle sticks with 800 wet sandingpaper and spent the afternoon at the picnic table.  You don't really need to get the paint off, just a light scuff so the new paint will stick.

It's a lot of tedious work but if you take your time it will pay off.

Rack

Quote from: Shakey on July 06, 2006, 06:51:41 AM
Quote from: Rack on July 05, 2006, 11:01:25 PM

I wrapped a few popsicle sticks with 800 wet sandingpaper and spent the afternoon at the picnic table.  You don't really need to get the paint off, just a light scuff so the new paint will stick.

It's a lot of tedious work but if you take your time it will pay off.

That's a great idea, Shakey. And it gives me a reason to eat popsicles.  :yesnod:

I'll get started on that later today hopefully. Thank you!

generalsandbandits

Hmmm selling popsicle sticks on ebay! Now every item will need to be sold with popsicle sticks. I wander how much I could get for my NOS popsicle sticks!
Just kidding,  great idea! Thanks for the info.
68 Charger 383-2 4spd QQ1 (Project)
68 Charger 383-4 4spd Green (Project)
68 Charger 383-2 Auto Green  Parts (non for sale)
71 New Yorker 440-4 Auto Gold 53k original miles (Driver)
71 Dodge Charger Superbee 383, Auto - EV2 Hemi Orange with Blk/Orange interior - (Project)
71 Dodge Charger Superbee 383 3 spd, GY3 Citron Yella, black bench seat 
73 Charger 318 Auto Triple White SE (Driver)
89 Shelby Dakota 318 Auto White 64k Miles(Driver)