News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FELP! need a brake adjusting rod/hook to get car back on road

Started by 73Charger, June 30, 2006, 03:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

I just installed my new rear emergency brake cable which had snapped, and I could no longer use my brake adjusting hook since the nut was basically welded on there with rust.  It finally snapped the rod trying to get it to move.  I took a picture of my old one - its like 18" long for a 73.  Anyone know where I can buy one, or anyone on here have an extra laying around?  I didnt notice these on year one or paddock and I don't know of many places and there are no junk yards around here.  I guess if I dont find one, maybe I could make something but the inspectors will like to see a piece that atleast looks original and works. My inspection ran out today. :-(
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

73Charger

I know - replying to myself, but after calling paddock and year one and they dont carry them... I'm thinking - could I bend a threaded rod into a hook end like that without it snapping to make my own?
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing

blue69

4402tuff4u

Quote from: 73Charger on June 30, 2006, 04:55:40 PM
I know - replying to myself, but after calling paddock and year one and they dont carry them... I'm thinking - could I bend a threaded rod into a hook end like that without it snapping to make my own?

If you are going to make one, I would use tool steel rod and threaded yourself with a die. The threaded rod steel type material is not that strong in bending and it will look pretty bad. Just my two cents.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

1970440RT

Still try and get that nut off by splitting or heating and then mig the pieces back together.  Then you can grind the weld down, re cut the threads, clean the rest of the rust and paint.  Done deal, good as new.  If you don't have a welder, take it to some one local, they couldn't possibly charge you more than 5 bucks for the five seconds it will take to weld up those two pieces.   

73Charger

thanks - the thought crossed my mind - I do have a flux welder.  but since nobody seems to have these around, i think I'm giong to go to ho depot and get be some cold rolled steel, bend it, tap it n the other end and be done with it. I just hate not having my charger "road worthy"   :icon_smile_dead:

4402tuff4u

Quote from: 1970440RT on July 05, 2006, 10:09:24 AM
     Still try and get that nut off by splitting or heating and then mig the pieces back together.  Then you can grind the weld down, re cut the threads, clean the rest of the rust and paint.  Done deal, good as new.  If you don't have a welder, take it to some one local, they couldn't possibly charge you more than 5 bucks for the five seconds it will take to weld up those two pieces.   

Weld is very strong and you will probably break the die teeth on the weld spot.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

1970440RT

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 05, 2006, 10:17:43 AM

Weld is very strong and you will probably break the die teeth on the weld spot.

I concur 4402tuff4u.  As long as you can stop the threads before the weld you should be OK.  Or from where the nut was originally sitting, cut some off where the rod broke on the hook end to give you more "soft" metal to work with on the threaded end.  ( for adjustablity when installed in the car ) 

OR

go to Home Depot as you stated you were...  either way. ;)