News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Gurus... Fender tag help please?

Started by Charger Aficionado, June 28, 2006, 02:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

duo-stripe

for example: fendertag of an RT in the Netherlands:
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

duo-stripe

To each letter of the alphabet belongs the number under it. If there is nothing stamped it doesn't have an option belonging to that group. It is the same with the first eight digits in row 3 as with the last three letters in that row.

XS29 ü
Charger Special R/T 2 Door Sports Hardtop    UW ü Color upper door panels: white
83  ü Engine: 440 c.i., 1-4bbl HP (High-Performance)*   S9  ü Stripe Delete 
5 ü Transmission: Automatic Torqueflite   D9 ü Disc brakes* front, drums 10" rear 
44  ü Tires: F70-14 Redline Tires*   H1 ü Power Brakes
515 ü Scheduled Production date: Wednesday, 15 May 1968   R0 ü Radio AM with Stereo 8 Track 10 Watt
059287 ü Shipping Order Number   T7 ü Tachometer (Rpm-counter)
25 ü Moulding: Drip Rail   X1 ü Glas: Tinted Glas All Windows
30 ü Moulding: Belt Line   Y6 ü Vinyl Roof Black
78 ü Moulding: Wheel Lip   a6  ü Console*
A4 ü Rearend: 8 ¾, 3.23:1 ratio   b4 ü Bucket Seats
X8 ü Sure Grip   h7  ü Turn signal indicator hood
TRM  ü C6W = Trim: Charger White Bucket*   m6 ü Outside left hand remote mirror
PNT  ü PP1 = Paintcode for PP1-Red   u1 ü Sold car (that means the car was ordered and not a sales bank)

duo-stripe

an example:

duo-stripe

For 1967 and 1968, the bottom 3 lines are changed completely as compared to earlier tags. The bottom line at the left starts with 2 letters and 2 numbers which identify the car line and model (same as the first 4 characters of the V.I.N.). This is followed by a 2-digit engine code, a 1-digit transmission code, and then a 3-digit tire code. Next is a 3-digit build date, followed by the order number. Moving up to the 3rd line from the bottom, numbers 1 through 8 appear here, which denote categories. A number listed under any of the category numbers defines an option in that category. To the right of the 1-8 numbers you will find "AX" for axle, "TRM" for the interior code, and "PNT" or "PAINT" for exterior colors. 
Continuing to the right, there is a grouping of letters "UBS". The "U" is for upper interior door color, "B" for buffed paint and "S" for the stripe or accent color. The codes for these are listed directly below (on the 2nd line from the bottom). The 5th row from the bottom is a row of upper case letters representing option categories. At the top of the tag is a row of lowercase letters also representing option categories. A number under any of these category letters defines an option in that letter's category. For information on decoding the option codes, see our selection of books by Galen Govier in the Literature section.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on June 28, 2006, 02:03:03 AM
  Any info appreciated...

383-2bbl with automatic
2.76 rear end
7.75x14 w/w tires
Burgandy metallic with black vinyl roof, black interior
AM radio with rear speaker
turn signal indictors in hood
Buddy seat with buckets
Tinted windows
"Sold" car
scheduled production date of Nov 1, 1967
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger Aficionado

Whoa...  This thing has clear glass...  That's odd...  Last '68 I had was an A/C car but the fender tag only said tinted glass...  So now I gotta go check for the "tell tale" signs of it having A/C stuff...  Funny thing is that it's the exact same color combo -roof as the last one.

Mikesmopars01

Do you have any pictures of this 68 charger?  Is it a complete car? 

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Mikesmopars01 on June 28, 2006, 10:14:51 AM
Do you have any pictures of this 68 charger?  Is it a complete car? 

No pix yet, but it is complete.  Right down to the Defrost block-off plate and the Bullseye...  Oh it was missing the Radiator...  I think it has an odd rear end in it too, but I'll find one for it...  My ex GF's kid is getting it, so you guys should see him on here soon: ASKING QUESTIONS... 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on June 28, 2006, 10:11:27 AM
Whoa...  This thing has clear glass...  That's odd...  Last '68 I had was an A/C car but the fender tag only said tinted glass...  So now I gotta go check for the "tell tale" signs of it having A/C stuff...  Funny thing is that it's the exact same color combo -roof as the last one.

I should have posted 'tinted windshield'. Sorry.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger Aficionado

Marshal

Hey Guys, thanks alot. i'm just getting started, this is my first charger and i really appreciate your help. I intend to do it all original over time, i really like the original look of this car, "Burgandy, black vinyal top".  And 383 is just right for me, allthough im not going to use the original engine for a few years, "because i dont want to put more wear and tear on it".  I am planning on using a different 383 that has no home. 68 is my favorite year of charger and then 69, so i couldnt be more happy to have this car, its is almost rust free!!!! thanks alot guys

John_Kunkel

While not Charger specific, this page is dedicated to the '68 fender tag:

http://www.andy440.com/tag.htm
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.