News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need HELP with assy. brackets on BB conversion

Started by greatwn73, July 01, 2006, 02:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwn73

It seems this conversion from 318 to 400 is fighting me every step of the way. I was dry mounting the water pump and brackets today and the power steering brackets from the donor car (76 newport) don't allow the power steering pump to to fit without touching the battery tray. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which OE style or aftermarket brackets will fit. Also is there a part# for a ps hose that will fit better. see attached pics.  ???

greatwn73

the pics

Rolling_Thunder

order the brackets from Mancini Racing - I got mine from there and it fits great.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TylerCharger69

Are those brackets from the 318?...or the 400?  They are quite different.   The 318  brackets  won't work right with the "B" engine.  Or maybe I should ask  if that 400 is from that Newport as well??

73-charger-383

i think you have an extra bracket in there man.............i'll check mine and get back to ya...

73-charger-383

okay, mine might not be correct, but it works.........

greatwn73

Tyler;
      all brackets and engine all came from donor car, only the pump itself is from the original 318. I assembled the brackets from pictures I took before the swap during teardown . I've now found the original 318 pump pulley is 1/2 inch closer to pump which wouldn't allow the belts to line up. I can easily swap in the original 400 pump but it doesn't solve the clearance issues.
73Charger;
     thanks for the pic and that seems simple enough except the belt tensioner bolt is also a water pump housing bolt.
Rolling thunder;
    Had a look at Mancini but unsure which will fit the b body and since it would have to be imported to Canada I want to make sure I get the right one. The March system might be too expensive at this point.

TylerCharger69

well...yeah...the pulley needs to be changed on the pump shaft itself, because the offset is in a different place.   

original72

they look like brackets from a mid 60's mopar engine.... i had the same problem with a 72 i worked on and found a original set to replace them with..... good luck

Bill