News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best brand of paint

Started by 73chgrSE, June 22, 2006, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I wanted to get some idea of good brands of paint. I want to go gloss black. Any recommedations?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69 OUR/TEA

H i 73chgrSE,I use PPG paint,it's what is readily available for me,a good friend is a rep for them so I can basically find out any info if needed,besides the product works very well for me.As for your gloss black request,I have done a few black cars and trucks,I like their single stage for doing black.There are two,DCC 9000 and DCC 9300.The 9300 is refered to as "triple black",because as you know there are different shades if black,the 9000 looks great,but when compared side by side with the 9300,it looks brown.The 9300 is as black as you can possibly get,along with being very user friendly(my opinion).Also want to add that it can be bought right off the shelf at a PPG  paint store.

bill440rt

PPG & DuPont are my personal faves. I've found DuPont to be VERY user friendly. Easy to mix, easy to spray.  DuPont ChromaOne black (single stage) is also very nice & sprays easy. Super shiny stuff.
My '68 is done in Dupont Scorch Red since '87, & still looks showroom new for an almost 20-yr old paint job (base/clear). My '70 is done in PPG Plum Crazy base/clear (painted about 7yrs now), and is incredibly durable paint. The PPG Plum Crazy just pops out at you compared to other paint manufacturers.

I'm at an impass with my '69 project, Sublime green is the color of choice. PPG, or DuPont?? I'm going to the paint store today & get a pint of each in base/clear & make some test panels to compare color.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Drop Top

For my fast answer. Scroll down.

Asking this question is like whats the best beer. Everyone will have there own opion. I use PPG for my restorations. They made the paint for the big 3 back then. It covers better and the color is right on the money. I use House of Kolor alot for custom jobs It dosn't cover as well and its harder to use. But they have some bitchen colors and they turn out really nice. I also use Valspar on ocation. Valspar makes House of Kolor. It covers very well easy to work with. But there factory colors mixes arn't very close. Its OK if your doing a compleat job as long as you don't mind the color being a little off the mark. All though I'm not a big fan. I use Du Pont, only if I have to! Its expensive for what it is. It dosen't cover as well as PPG. So it takes more to do the job. As a rule its just a little cheaper then PPG. But by the time you use more paint to do the same job. It becomes more expensive then PPG. On top of that the local rep is a ... That said.

Some brands of paint arn't allways available in all areas. Check what is available in your area. Talk to local painters. When your talking to the locals see what kind of shop they work from. The cheaper out of the way places often use really cheap materials. Then when you decide on what brand, buy the higher end or more expensive line of that brand. All brands have their good , not as good and their other stuff that they make and sell under a differant name. Thats the really bad stuff. Its also thouse little out of the way places use. Stay compleatlly away from that. When it comes to paint Cheaper is very seldom better. Also, Its better to buy locally for convenance sake. This way if you need more or something goes wrong you at least have someplace to walk into and complane. You get more done when you can go look at them in the eye and have a coversation. On the computer or the phone, sometimes its harder to get satisfaction.

For a new commer to painting I always sugjest PPG. Its available in 99% of the country. It covers well. Easy to use. All their products do what they say it will do, very good at it also. Yes its not cheap. But in the long run its not that expensive. The bigest mistake people make is the don't fallow instuctions. Read the lable and do what it says. If you have never painted a car. The experance will be much more easier if you keep this in mind. Start with a system and stay with that system, no mater what brand you choose. They are all made to work with in that system.

OK. Now, everything in a nut shell, for a newbe, from start to finnish.
Use PPG if its avaliable in your area. You wont be sorry.

Drop Top

Forgot to mention. Painting black. PPG, Du Pont and House of Kolor. All have a very good black. Black covers well. But to make things easier. Use a black sealer under your paint/base. It will make things much easier.

my69

Hey there drop top, AND others! :icon_smile_approve:

Has any of you use Martin Senour? I am hoping somebody  would share there  :Twocents: As I am also at the priming stage of my project AND using MS ( getting real close to paint! ::))

I would like To  hear feed back on this so I know what I'm up against.:eyes:

Regards,
Winston

bill440rt

I don't think Martin Senour is a top quality paint. I've never used it, but I'd say it's on par with a low line of Sherwin Williams. Drop Top, any opinion on MS paints?
If you stick with PPG or DuPont you won't have a problem, they are the two most common used paints, and the best IMHO.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Drop Top

Theres a company that sells M/S paint here in town. For the most part they make house paint. But they do have a line of atuomotive paint. Their top of the line paint is about as good as Du pont's low line of paint. I don't use it, but a buddy of mine uses it on trucks and equipment. He's not the painter he thinks he is. But it works for him. The colors that he uses seams to cover well. It seams to hold up for a couple years. The price is much cheaper then the Du Pont or PPG. For a restoration I would never use it. But for a resale car, maybe I could see useing it. If thats all you could find. On the other hand if your looking for cheap. The other paint companys have their own line of lesser expensive paint. For a car that you have done alot of work on and your going to keep. I'll agree with Bill. Stick will PPG or Du Pont. I've said it once and I'll say it again. When it comes to paint. You get what you pay for!

my69

Well I guess I heard this before,  You Get What You Pay For.
  But beings I already have the Martin Senour primer on the car, And ready for the sealer coat(epoxy)
That pretty much makes me committed. :shruggy: 

Thanks for your responses 

wetfeetmi

Martin Senour is Sherwin Williams. Napa sells it. I have used it. It worked fine, but I have never used anything else. (Other than Kirker)  Both were 2 step, and they both worked OK. Kirker was tons cheaper than the Hemi Orange M/S. I was told the pigments for oranges and reds are terribly expensive. Good luck

my69

Thanks wetfeetmi, I'll most likley need some luck :yesnod:
Yep your right Napa does sell M/S, (probably my best pick for convience)  I like to plan on painting my charger, after the engine is in and running :icon_smile_shy: May be this late fall  DEPENDS on the moneyflow
at this point  :flame:

hemi-hampton

Another good brand of paint nobody mentioned is BASF (a.k.a  RM or Diamont.) Theres only 3 good Quality paints in my opinion #1. PPG (a.k.a Pittsburg Paint & Glass & a.k.a Ditzler)#2 Dupont #3 BASF. :yesnod: European Paints like Sikkens, Glasuruit take some getting use to. Anything Else is garbage in my opinion. When ever you use cheap paint you just increase your chance of running into problems. :rotz: PPG has a lower priced economy paint for the Budget minded called Omni. Then theres Matrix. These 2 may work for you if not a big $$ resto.  ::)LEON.

73chgrSE

Thanks for the input everyone. I will not use Dupont just because I do not like Jeff Gordon :icon_smile_dead: haha. I will definatly look into PPG and BASF.

mikepmcs

Quote from: 73chgrSE on July 05, 2006, 10:28:28 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I will not use Dupont just because I do not like Jeff Gordon :icon_smile_dead: haha. I will definatly look into PPG and BASF.
believe me, there are more like you out there.  I wouldn't either for the same reason and I don't drink pepsi either. :METAL: :METAL:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?