News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good greif Chrysler is going to sell the Smart car here in the USA

Started by dodge freak, June 28, 2006, 08:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodge freak

Well now that all the Yugo junk cars are off the roads we will soon be seeing the Smart cars take their place. This time we get to thank Chrysler for making our roads so nice, I sure won't buy one , would not even drive one for free , but they will fly out the door if they are cheap enough. They should make the new Charger seem like a race car , oh it get 50 miles to the gallon or so. Thanks Chrysler , what would we do with out you.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodge freak

Have you look at them ? 9 feet long, 3 cyc. motor- Sorry I like to talk about other stuff then what t-shirts target is selling. Wait until they are on the road, then we here about it The Challenger car is still a maybe, yet people are talking about about it on here. This Smart car will be here for sure, like it or not. First Chrysler gives us the 4 door charger, now they are giving us the smart car, whats next ?

DC_1

I kinda like the smart car......like a golf cart on roids......they have been selling them here in Canada for a while. I frequently see one blasting past me at 120 kph (75 mph). The more of those fuel economy cars on the road the more gas left for me and my Charger. ;D

I am still trying to get this one mass produced.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Troy on June 28, 2006, 10:21:02 AM
Are you PMS'ing this week???

Troy

There is no doubt in my mind. :D

Being the evil truckdriver that I am, I look forward to running over as many of those as I can. :D :nana: :D :stirthepot: :crazy:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Old Moparz

Quote from: mustanghater on June 28, 2006, 01:40:43 PM
For!!!!!

......he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow!!!!!    :shruggy:

That's the little car I snagged some photos of a couple of weeks ago driving around here at lunchtime. I like the buggers, but can't use one to tow with.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nh_mopar_fan

They were all over Rome when we were there a couple of years ago. The only problem that I can see with them is that they fit anywhere. People were parking them nose in on the sidewalks...and they fit.

Shakey

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on June 28, 2006, 02:15:23 PM
They were all over Rome when we were there a couple of years ago. The only problem that I can see with them is that they fit anywhere. People were parking them nose in on the sidewalks...and they fit.

...and it looks like it would fit nice and snug underneath the trailer of a semi too!   :D

As Sydmoe said, there are plenty of them around here in the GTA.  I just treat them like homely chicks and ignore them, kinda like the way the good lookin' chicks treat me.   :yesnod:

dodge freak

Well maybe I should be happy, Maybe gas will go to 5-7 dollars a gallon and everybody will want those smart cars. Then I could pick up a nice old Charger for 5-7 thousand dollars :yesnod:

greenpigs

Quote from: dodge freak on June 28, 2006, 03:32:40 PM
Then I could pick up a nice old Charger for 5-7 thousand dollars :yesnod:

Then you can wake up, gas prices have zilch to do with the value of old Chargers.

If the smart car is cheap enough you just might see a bunch on the road, plus it will help the corporate mpg average.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dodge freak

Just joking of course, the old Charger are getting few each year, thats the main reason. I am sure Chrysler is doing it for the gas milage average, and I am afraid you may be right, if cheap enough they be all over the place, until they start to get blown off the Bridges like the Yugo was doing. I remember some young girl who drove 6 hours from around where I live to see her boyfriend in Mackinac Island, got all the way to the Mackinac bridge and was driving across it and a gust of wind blew her Yugo car right off. They pulled her body out of the water the next day, soon afterwards the Government ban those cars from here, she was not the only one whose Yugo car was blown off a bridge there was a few others. Was not speeding, drinking , do anything wrong this the car was so light the wind pick it right up. Felt so sorry for her.

Brock Samson

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

azraelck

The Shmart isn't for highway commutes, but around town. In that market, it is... ok. While I like the idea of a two seat roadster, I'd much prefer a bigger Sky or Solstice over a miniscule Smart. If I want to go that small, I'll get an old MG. Still, it will help the company's image, in providing a "green", highly economical car to give DCX a "Prius". Since it's unique (read, ugly), it'll likely sell just as well relatively as the Prius does; as people who buy them tend not to be necesarily in it for the "green" factor or mileage, but the "I'm better than you because I drive a hybrid/green car" factor. Notice the Civic and Accord hybrids don't do that well, even though they provide better response, proven names, and excellent gas mileage. It's because they aren't noticable enough. 

Hey, at least car thieves won't have to work so hard. Just pick 'em up and throw them in the back of a truck, and away you go.
For every good man that is born, another good man must die.  Yet somehow the
factory keeps pumping out losers and we have no idea how to get rid of them.
--Kersus

Old Moparz

Just get the damn bicycle out of the garage rafters & exercise your fat asses.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

SirNik73

There are 3 reasons that the Smart cars are here...

First, Gas is expensive and for some reason Americans think that adding a car payment of a high milage car is going to save them money.... :ahum:

Second, They are made by Daimler so, being part of the Daimler family means Chrysler is going to sell their cars.

and Third... this is the real reason that Chrysler is selling smart cars... We aren't in the 60s any more. Every auto manufacture has to meat a "Fleet wide" MPG rating... it is a requirement of the EPA, so for every Ram SRT10 with its 7MPG there has to be a 2 or 3 Neon sold... well if you look at the Chrysler fleet, Chrysler has been offering the Hemi in just about anything that it can fit in. so in order to pay for the poor fuel milage of the Hemi engines the EPA is forcing Chrysler to sell fuel efficient cars, but Neons can't make up to the popularity of the current love to the Hemi... so introduce the smart cars... they are cheap to build, there was no R&D needed because they are Daimler's.. and they will push the sales curve back up to where the EPA requires it.
If they get a negative reaction by the public they might be a good deal.. because since Chrysler is forced to answer to the EPA, if the smart cars aren't moving off the lots come the end of model year the dealer will just about give them away to satisfy the EPA.

Don't thank Chrysler.. thank the EPA

1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

dodge freak

Well said, I totally agree. Thats why some were pushing for each car class to have its own milage rating. Like full size gets 15 , mid size gets 20 Cause all the automakers do is play this game to get the overall milage better while some of their cars get the same or worst milage every year.

Charger_Croatia

This little car is selling like crazy all over Europe, despite high price. Personally I don't like it and I wouldn't buy one but the fact is - Smart has it's market.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

hemihead

I agree . The CAFE standards have alot to do with this car being sold.But it's just more cheap crap.How safe will that thing be in an accident?
And you know the largest sized people buy the smallest cars.Why is that?
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

greenpigs

Quote from: hemihead on June 29, 2006, 06:05:03 AM

And you know the largest sized people buy the smallest cars.Why is that?

More money for food.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

DC_1

71_deputy

nice accident!!-- yep- you can still open the doors- but who needs doors when your feet and legs are GONE and crushed?????  go out the window!!!!

lots around here- don't like them- hope no one gets T boned!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

doctorpimp

We've had posts on these before...
Those cars are safe due to the fact that the car is a complete frame, not a unibody.  The front section is designed to absorb impact just like any other car in it's class.  It's designed like a roll cage etc.  I think you'd be safer in one of those compared to a suzuki or hyundai in front end or T bone...  But, driving a motorcycle is more dangerous you don't generally survive a head-on with an S class.
I don't know about being blown off of a bridge though.  I wouldn't want to take it on the highway at 120 kmh...
But I would drive it in town for $$ savings with that 3 cyl diesel.  You can't beat that.
Do we not like it cause it's small or because it's an import ???
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216