News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torq Thrust O's, D's, 2's or ???

Started by 471_Magnum, June 27, 2006, 05:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which should it be?

TTO's
12 (33.3%)
TT D's
12 (33.3%)
TT II Classic
10 (27.8%)
Other
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

471_Magnum

It's been 18 months, so it's time to change rolling stock again.  ::)

I've got a few reasons for doing this. The main reason is traction. The tires I'm running just don't get the job done. 17" drag radials are just too darn expensive and even the best ones have marginal performance due to the short side wall.

The other reason is I'm just plain fickle. I want to go back to the "retro" look like I had with the ARE 200S'.

So I'm debating what I want to run with:
The leading contender is currently Torque Thrust Originals.
Second is a close race between Torque Thrust D's,
and Torque Thrust II Classics.

I'd also consider the TrakStar S, but those are priced out of my budget unless I could score a sweat deal on a used set.

If I could find another set of the original 200S', I'd run those again in a heart beat. Knowing how long it took me to put together that last set, that's unlikely to occur. The CL200S' currently available just don't flip my switch and are kind of pricey since they aren't available off the shelf (custom offset only).

Or should I just shut up and leave it be with the 17's? :shruggy:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

rt green

go with the originals. old school,man.  they still look the best
third string oil changer

tan top

Quote from: rt green on June 27, 2006, 07:39:49 PM
:agree:  yeah the original TTO's :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

I like the TrakStar S.....pretty mean looking :icon_smile_cool:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SeattleCharger

Both rims look great, but I like the set up in the first pic just because the back tire looks bigger/wider than the front one, or maybe its just the angle of pic?  Stance looks better IMO.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

duo-stripe

the originals..like said...the old-skool look.
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

6pkrunner

471_Magnum

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 28, 2006, 02:17:13 AM
I like the TrakStar S.....pretty mean looking :icon_smile_cool:
I do to, but $$$

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on June 28, 2006, 02:44:09 AM
  Both rims look great, but I like the set up in the first pic just because the back tire looks bigger/wider than the front one, or maybe its just the angle of pic?  Stance looks better IMO.
Those were 15x7 front and 15x8.5 rear, which is what I'd do again. Those 200S (as well as TTO's and D's) have quite a bit of negative offset, almost too much.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Lowprofile

Quote from: rt green on June 27, 2006, 07:39:49 PM

:iagree: :2thumbs:  the only way to go!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

NYCMille

TT D's.... they look awesome on that car.

471_Magnum

Quote from: NYCMille on June 28, 2006, 06:21:56 AM

D's come with dark grey painted centers, which makes for a nice accent. The O's could easily be painted for the same effect.

I like the straight spokes on the O's versus the D spokes.

hotrod98

Billet magnum 500's. The baddest b-body wheel on the market.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Quote from: 6pkrunner on June 28, 2006, 03:30:41 AM
The originals.

The originals were 14 x 6's.    Way too small.       You don't want people laughing at him do you?  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

471_Magnum

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 28, 2006, 07:30:20 AM
Billet magnum 500's. The baddest b-body wheel on the market.

One of the most expensive as well, starting a $399 a piece. Doesn't solve my traction problem either.

plum500

Quote from: 471_Magnum on June 28, 2006, 07:03:13 AM
Quote from: NYCMille on June 28, 2006, 06:21:56 AM

D's come with dark grey painted centers, which makes for a nice accent. The O's could easily be painted for the same effect.

I like the straight spokes on the O's versus the D spokes.

I agree completely.

Danny Gutierrez

Man, that's a tough choice.  I really like the TrakStars but I agree that they are pricey.  You can't go wrong with any of the Torque Thrusts, with the II's being my favorite.  You gonna go with 15's right?  The 17's you are running now are nice and I wish they made the tires for them with bigger sidewalls.  Do they even make 17 inchers in 50 or 60 series?
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

plum500

I've got a new set of TTOs 17x8 with 255/50R17s all around ready to go on my '71 (one of these days)....not *super* wide, but I think they'll be good, and still have a decent amount of sidewall...

471_Magnum

Quote from: Danny Gutierrez on June 28, 2006, 12:48:49 PM
Man, that's a tough choice. I really like the TrakStars but I agree that they are pricey. You can't go wrong with any of the Torque Thrusts, with the II's being my favorite. You gonna go with 15's right? The 17's you are running now are nice and I wish they made the tires for them with bigger sidewalls. Do they even make 17 inchers in 50 or 60 series?
Check the classified section on this site.

4forty

are you kiddin me!!!! These? :haha:                Go with the 15" Torque thrust, they look great in first pic/post

deputycrawford

How about the 15x10 Torque Thrust II's with a 4.5 inch offset. Then you could put 325/50-15 drag radials on it and forget about the traction problems. Oh, by the way, when I'm at the track with my 275/60-15 Mickey Thompsons, I run them at 12-14 psi. No traction problems. :icon_smile_cool:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

471_Magnum

Quote from: deputycrawford on June 28, 2006, 03:24:16 PM
How about the 15x10 Torque Thrust II's with a 4.5 inch offset. Then you could put 325/50-15 drag radials on it and forget about the traction problems. Oh, by the way, when I'm at the track with my 275/60-15 Mickey Thompsons, I run them at 12-14 psi. No traction problems. :icon_smile_cool:

I'm pretty sure you mean backspace, not offset. 10" wheels need 5.5" back space on a B-body.... or air shocks.

Anyway, custom offset wheels would pretty much blow the budget. 275-60-15 drag radials will do the trick. Any more traction and I'll have to start beefing up other areas.

48chebbie

here is my answer............
how'd i do that!?!?!?

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: 471_Magnum on June 28, 2006, 01:55:52 PM
Quote from: Danny Gutierrez on June 28, 2006, 12:48:49 PM
Man, that's a tough choice. I really like the TrakStars but I agree that they are pricey. You can't go wrong with any of the Torque Thrusts, with the II's being my favorite. You gonna go with 15's right? The 17's you are running now are nice and I wish they made the tires for them with bigger sidewalls. Do they even make 17 inchers in 50 or 60 series?
Check the classified section on this site.

Ha Ha!  I see they do. :icon_smile_big:  I thought you were running a 40 series, my bad.  How about a 295 (or wider) 50 series/17?  just curious as how it would look.
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

Telvis

I think it looks pretty good right now.

I had the opportunity to see your car in Bowling Green. It looks pretty good. I wouldn't change a thing.

471_Magnum

275-50-17 is pretty much as big as you can go for 17" passenger car tires. Beyond that you get into hard heavy SUV tires measuring 30 inches and more.

M&H sells a drag radial in this size, but it's really not streetable at all from what I've gathered. Nitto makes an 18" drag radial that is 28.5 tall and would look good, and is very streetable, but 18's aren't in the budget. Really subject for another post in another section.

One other option is 17" TTOs. Doesn't solve the traction problem though.