News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stopped My Uncle From Scrapping a 340

Started by RT DAVE, June 27, 2006, 03:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

This past weekend I was at my uncle's shop when he mentioned he was scrapping a motor from a Dart he junked.  I took a look at it and it turns out it was a '69 340 short-block that was allegedly running when the heads and intake were pulled from when the prior owner owned the car. I made him an offer of $100 and he said he'd think about it.   Are '69 340 short blocks worth much? 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Lowprofile

Good save , bro. I'm sure, like everything these days, that 340 is worth alot to someone who is looking for one.  Hey Brock, you need a spare?  :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

rt green

think about it? think about it??     he was going to scrap it. tell him you'll do him a favor and take it to the scrap yard for him. since your such a good nephew and all.
third string oil changer

bull

I'd say it's worth something. Wasn't '70 the first year for the 340? If so that would be a block for an early '70.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: bull on June 27, 2006, 05:34:36 PM
I'd say it's worth something. Wasn't '70 the first year for the 340? If so that would be a block for an early '70.

Lots of Darts came with 340's in '69................you could also get them in '68 (first year.)

BBD

Mikesmopars01

That is a good save.  Are you going to do anything with the block, or sell it?

If you are going to sell it, my buddy has a 1969 Dodge Dart 340 4 speed that is missing the engine.

blackcharger

good save, and worth it. he have any other parts for it?

Brock Samson

the hi-po small block High Compression 850 CFM carbed wonder motor could and did "embarrass some big blocks"...  :yesnod:

from allpar..

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/mopar340.html

bull

As a rule I'd say just about any Mopar V8 with a '66-'74 casting number is worth saving these days.

73dodge

Quote from: RT DAVE on June 27, 2006, 03:40:48 PM
I made him an offer of $100 and he said he'd think about it.   Are '69 340 short blocks worth much? 

Wait he was going to throw it away for nothing and you offer him a 100 and he says I have to think about it?

that's 100 more than the junk yard was going to give him
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

RT DAVE

Quote from: 73dodge on June 27, 2006, 07:26:53 PM
Quote from: RT DAVE on June 27, 2006, 03:40:48 PM
I made him an offer of $100 and he said he'd think about it.   Are '69 340 short blocks worth much? 

Wait he was going to throw it away for nothing and you offer him a 100 and he says I have to think about it?

that's 100 more than the junk yard was going to give him

Actually, he's a scrapper, so he'd get whatever the going rate is for cast iron.   He takes in thousands of pounds to the recycler every month and gets cash in exchange.  The motor was in the back of one of his trailers to take off to them within the next few days.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Mikesmopars01

So how much would he get for the engine if he scrapped it?

That would be kind of strange to get the same amount if you take your old engines in to the scrape yard that you would if you sold it.

B5 Charger

Last time I checked the going rate for steel was $150.00 a ton.  At least here in Missouri.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722