News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you make the 71-73 style gauge cluster connector make better connection?

Started by WH23G3G, June 25, 2006, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

This is actually an ongoing problem with another car I'm working on. It's getting frustrating as it's keeping me from having time to work on my Charger. It's that 76 210 I've got. It keeps losing the instrument panel lights everytime I reinstall the dash bezel. I found it was a bad connection because when I reach under and push in on the gauge connector they all light up. So I thought maybe I didn't have the plug all the way in all the pins, so I took everything off and positively installed the connector into the gauges and it would only light up if I was pushing the plug in as soon as I let go the lights died. This is on my 76 210, but the plug is identical in design to the 71-74 Charger standard gauge harness connector, the round plug type that plugs into the back of the gauges, not the Ralleye ones. Is there a way you can make it a more positive connection without having to hunt down a new or used harness? The 210s around here are harder to come by than the Chargers, probably because they were all crushed. So replacing the whole harness isn't an option. Can I stuff some aluminum foil in the connector holes to make it a more positive connection? I'm sure similar things have happened to people with standard gauges on their Chargers, so I was wondering how they remedied it.

Nacho-RT74

the problem as far I know it could be not the plug like the BOARD PINS some loosen from board. I have dealed with that on my car when it had standart cluster. I solved solding the pins with tain ;)

Pins are installed on board by presure from back, so with time backelite and pins starts to be weak and loose the contact with board tracks.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html