News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear end change help

Started by busteed, June 25, 2006, 09:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busteed

I need a step by step instruction on how to remove my 8-1/4 rear end from my 74 Charger.  I need to know where to put jack stands and the whole process.  I am replacing it with a 8-3/4.  I have never taken a rear end out, I am a rookie at this part.  Are there any considerations when swapping a 8-1/4 to a 8-3/4?  My car currently has a 904 trans and I am changing to a 727.  Thanks for your help,
                                   BUSTEED

66charger73

I've never done the swap but I've investigated it for my 73 also and what I've heard is, and I'm sure the pros will chime in soon, that if you have a rearend for the same year car with the same spring perch distance then this is a direct bolt in except for the drive shaft which is longer for the 904 tranny. When I reconditionned the 8 1/4 in my 73 i put jackstands right under the rear frame rails in front of the axle and just disconnected the brake cables and hose, while supporting the rear with a jack, unbolted and removed the shocks, unbolted and knocked the rear shackles out, and took the front spring bolts out and just lowered the jack and dragged the whole thing right out. You would also gain a lot of space and lose a lot of weight by removing tires and drums. I figured you'd remove the whole assembly to at least replace bushings if not springs and shackles themselves.  Good Luck! :thumbs:

RD

Quote from: busteed on June 25, 2006, 09:48:11 PM
I need to know where to put jack stands and the whole process.

Make sure you put a chock block in front of your front wheels

Jack up your car and place the jackstands underneath the rear frame rails parallel to the front leaf spring mounting area

Remove your driveshaft

Place a floor jack underneath your rear axle housing

Remove both rims

Remove all brake components

Remove parking brake lines from backing plates or just remove your backing plates (removal of backing plates requires removal of axles though).

Remove your brake hose leading to your Y block on the axle housing

Unbolt your shocks from the lower shock plate on each side

IMPORTANT, Since you will not be REUSING your old axle u-bolts, you can just cut them with a grinder to remove them (rust on the underside of the u bolts with or without power tools will cause for a lot of work)

OPTIONS:  You can either manhandle the axle over your leaf springs at this point, or you can just undo the rear shackles and drop each leaf spring at the rear and lay them on the ground so you can pull your axle out on your floor jack

TO INSTALL:  reverse the process

My car currently has a 904 trans and I am changing to a 727

You will need a shorter driveshaft (4 1/8" to be exact).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

actually the diff nose is longer too so it is 4" shorter for the difference between the 904 & 727 trans + it will need to be shorter for the diff