News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

finding a good way of straping my engine

Started by BigBlockSam, June 25, 2006, 11:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hey guys
  coming back from the whiskey cafe  a couople of weeks ago i got into it with my friends big block chevele. my rods a little beast . i stomped her hard and the rear got a little side ways on me but i straighted  her out and passed him with in seconds. now he says he wants a mopar. torque monsters that they are and he's got a serious 454 in that bad boy.
  now when i bring the rpms up it knocks alittle on the right side of the motor. i knew it wasn't coming from the motor.  it's more underneath.
  i got it up on the lift yesterday and we saw the problem right away. i bent the right elephant ear that goes to the motor mount. i have to liift the engine on the one side heat it up and straighten it out. i will reinforce it also.
  to avoid this problem in the future i'd like to strap the motor. on my 69 rr i have a chain on it. i'd like to do something alittle better looking than that on my rod. any ideas. thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blown70

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 25, 2006, 11:50:22 AM
hey guys
  coming back from the whiskey cafe  a couople of weeks ago i got into it with my friends big block chevele. my rods a little beast . i stomped her hard and the rear got a little side ways on me but i straighted  her out and passed him with in seconds. now he says he wants a mopar. torque monsters that they are and he's got a serious 454 in that bad boy.
  now when i bring the rpms up it knocks alittle on the right side of the motor. i knew it wasn't coming from the motor.  it's more underneath.
  i got it up on the lift yesterday and we saw the problem right away. i bent the right elephant ear that goes to the motor mount. i have to liift the engine on the one side heat it up and straighten it out. i will reinforce it also.
  to avoid this problem in the future i'd like to strap the motor. on my 69 rr i have a chain on it. i'd like to do something alittle better looking than that on my rod. any ideas. thanks Rene

What are your ears made of?  I have not seen many bend myself and the motors they hold were in the 1000 horse area.

Tom

BigBlockSam

steel and thick, but there not mounted straight to the frame. i welded a motor mount to the end. it bent down by the motor mount. i never thought that would happen. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Big Lebowski

My old '69 4 speed Charger had the perfect length of chain, it fit the stock K-member to the engine mount.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Lowprofile

A friend of mine used a length of high strength cable w/re-enforced ends & then covered it w/a large piece of shrink -wrap......its been on his GTX for years!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used the torque strap that Schumacher makes........nice quality piece.

www.engine-swaps.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

I think Ron(firefighter) posted pics of a mount he fabricated for his car a while back.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlockSam

i like that one, thanks for the link but it's tight in there on my 39. i don't know if that'll fit. Rene