News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Max Wedge heads...are they worth it?

Started by Lightning, June 25, 2006, 12:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

would the Max Wedge heads be a good choice if I was shooting for about 600 HP at the wheels with a good midrange torque curve? (think dirt track usage, in corners a lot and such)  Could I use the Crossram intake that Mopar is reproducing with it?

I would be using a 440 stroker for the bottom end, probably a 10.5:1 compression or so.

If I didn't use them, would a set of good ported 906/915 heads work?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Chryco Psycho

the cross ram would work with max heads
I do not have much experience with max heads & for good reason , I don`t feel they offer much advantage for the stupid cost of getting a set & would rather spend $$ on new technology alum heads
I can make great power with iron closed chamber heads but possibly not enough for whayt you are looking for

Lightning

694spdRT

What dirt track class is going to let you run a stroked 440 with cross rams?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 694spdRT on June 25, 2006, 09:36:09 AM
What dirt track class is going to let you run a stroked 440 with cross rams?

Good question!  Whats he gonna do when someone motor claims him.   How is he gonna get that big block to go around corners. I had several friends years ago try various big blocks racing on dirt and they did nothing more then fish tail all the way down the track and barely made it around the corners with the nose so heavy.

Todd

Lightning

alright, alright. it's for my LeBaron. and it's for drifting, same principle as dirt, just  on pavement. I'm wanting to show the imports who's top dog.   After y'all get done givin' me the horse laugh, can y'all tell me how to do it with a B/RB motor?

694spdRT

Can't you build up a good 360 Magnum with a 4bbl that will accomplish what you want? I would think it would be a much easier swap in you car. You could build a stroked 360 Magnum and you will definately have the power. Probably much chepaer in the long run.

BTW: What does it take to drift...strong low to mid range torque would be my guess. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Lightning

Quote from: 694spdRT on June 25, 2006, 04:14:30 PM
Can't you build up a good 360 Magnum with a 4bbl that will accomplish what you want? I would think it would be a much easier swap in you car. You could build a stroked 360 Magnum and you will definately have the power. Probably much chepaer in the long run.

BTW: What does it take to drift...strong low to mid range torque would be my guess. 

I know, but the problem is, I'm aiming for the pro series, and they're packing 800 horsepower Mustangs!  It's also for more than just drifting.  A couple of my goals are really out there (cracking the 200mph barrier anyone?), but just having a big block in the car would be cool.

Lightning

I forgot to post that they're using superchargers though........so I mention "drifting" once and everybody skeedaddles away?

deputycrawford

I have read about, and asked, my engine builder about the INDY EZ heads.  He has praise for them. You will get the coveted MAX HEAD size ports and more flow with the heat transfer properties of the aluiminum. You can't go wrong. 500 Cubes with 1 carb on pump gas will get 700 Horse power under the hood. You will find what you are looking for with the INDY EZ heads and lose some weight in the mean time. Go for the INDY's and move on. ;)
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Lightning

can I use a crossram manifold with those?

EDIT: actually, forget about the crossram...

would a 400 be better than the 440 dealing with exaust issues and such?  Mopar Muscle just did a 383 build where they used a set of CNC ported Indy EZ's and a 413 stroker crank and got 625hp before it blew up (they neglected to upgrade the oiling system...)

my M-body could've come with a 400 after all...

andyf

Is this what you're thinking about?  This motor is 505 inches with the Indy EZ heads and a the Mopar Performance cross ram.  These are the same Indy heads that were on the 383 stroker motor that I smoked on the dyno.  Stay tune to Mopar Muscle and you'll see the dyno tests on this new motor.  We're shooting for 700+ hp and yes the oiling system has been upgraded on this block.

Lightning

Quote from: andyf on June 26, 2006, 01:24:49 PM
Is this what you're thinking about?  This motor is 505 inches with the Indy EZ heads and a the Mopar Performance cross ram.  These are the same Indy heads that were on the 383 stroker motor that I smoked on the dyno.  Stay tune to Mopar Muscle and you'll see the dyno tests on this new motor.  We're shooting for 700+ hp and yes the oiling system has been upgraded on this block.

I cannot tell ya how much my mouth is drooling looking at that thing!

are y'all shooting for 7,000+ RPM with that thing?

(i think I'll start saving my pennies....)

andyf

Not with the 4.250 stroke crank.  This motor will probably have a peak hp at 6000 or 6200 so no reason to twist the tail up to 7000 rpm.  The Max Wedge setup isn't really a good system for high rpm use since it is designed more for the mid-range.  Especially on a 500 inch engine.  I think the torque peak will be down around 4500 rpm on this motor even with a 270 at 050 cam.

A motor like this would actually make a good drifting motor since the cross ram gives you a ton or torque.  It might run better with EFI though than twin carbs.  If you had it set up right it would make 500+ ft-lbs from 2500 to 5500 rpm.  My 470 motor made more than 500 ft-lbs at the rear tires from 3300 to 5000 rpm with a Perf RPM manifold and a 800 cfm Eddy carb.  The cross ram and more cubes should pick up the numbers over that 470 combo.

Lightning

what carbs are on that thing anyway? those look like Edelbrocks...

andyf

They are Edelbrocks.  800 cfm AVS style.

Lightning

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: I thought so.

question: since I'm going with a B/RB motor, can I set it farther back in the engine bay than I would a LA motor? (since the distributor's not in the back, like the LA's is.)

Lightning

anyways, I'm glad I put these two threads up, I've learned quite a bit from them.  Thanks guys!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Lightning on June 27, 2006, 12:59:05 AM
:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: I thought so.

question: since I'm going with a B/RB motor, can I set it farther back in the engine bay than I would a LA motor? (since the distributor's not in the back, like the LA's is.)

depends on how far you are willing to go with the car...     you can set the engine in the back seat if you want...      the 400 would be a better idea...    600hp at the wheels ?  why go with a crossram ?  they arent exactly great street manifolds....      guy in my car club is putting down 680tq to the wheels with his DAILY DRIVER ==  completely streetable running on 91 octane and running a single holley with a dual plane intake....        this is with a 496
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Lightning

well, the Crossram, like the Six-pack, has that "wow factor", u know?

Anything that winds up on my cars (here and in the future), is either purely for functional, or for a laugh...the crossram idea would be for both.

Rolling_Thunder

but the point im trying to make is that it is not all the functional

Lightning

I realize that.   I've been thinking of the B motor idea more since I wouldn't have to worry about the headers having to go around the steering shaft, so a 383 or a 400 might be the way to go.

question: 383 vs 400, which would be the better way to go initially?

Rolling_Thunder

400 - can buy a stroker kit to make it a 496...    biggest bore of all the big blocks...   

Lightning

I knew the 400 had a bigger bore, but I didn't know it had the biggest one out of all of them...how much more can it be bored over?

Rolling_Thunder

Lightning

if I go with the 400 and the Indy heads, with a stroker crank (displacement ending up at about 471-ish), and the compression ending up at about 11:1, which cam should I use?  one of Lunati's "voodoo" grinds? 

deputycrawford

You might try calling Engle and see what they suggest. They seem to have a satisfactory lift versus duration design. Do you want to go Hydraulic or solid?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Lightning

well, it's gonna be more of a race than street motor, so I was thinking solid.  it might see less than 2000 miles of street driving each year, mostly just to and from events (maybe to Atlanta and Carisle next year if its together in time.)