News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

novice in carb. hell please help

Started by pbrking, June 20, 2006, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrking

Ok I have little mech. know how, little money but am dying to get my 66 back on the road which means I am doing the work and learning how as I go.  the problem is the old AVS is dead so I was looking to upgrade to a new carb.  I was looking at either a Demon, Edelbrock thunder or Holley street avenger.  I had decided to go with the holley 770cfm.  Well here is the problem and confusion.  year one says it wont work use an eddelbrock, Holley tech support says it will with two other parts but in the avenger manual it says it will not work with a chrysler auto tran. and I have guys at shows telling me to go with the demon. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh. this car will never see the track it is just for street use but i would like to blow a certain chevy off the line at a red light here in town if need be. any help would be great.

Plumcrazy

Uh..................what are you working on?   ???

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

pbrking

66 charger 383 4bl auto trans guess that might help.

grouseman

What's wrong with the AVS?  Most things can be fixed.  And a refreshening is dead easy. 

Brock Samson

Good for you doing it yourself!
 if it's any help I use the holly S.A. 770 on my hooptie and it works great, i really just bolted it on and it ran great out of the box.
I wonder what your intake manifold is... stock?... I have a Wieland Stealth intake manifold. BTW My Charger is a Auto Tranny.
There are alot more knowlagabloe folks here then I though,... And the Eddys are pretty popular it seems..

pbrking

the problem with the AVS is the fuel line inlet is stripped and it leaks every wear as for the manifold its stock every thing on the car is stock. I am the second owner I bought it from a neighbor in highschool.  it still has the certa card under the hood. but she set for about 9 years.

Plumcrazy

An Edelbrock 1400 or 1806 would be my choice.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

pbrking

brock, what was involved in adapting the holley to protect the trans

grouseman

You've a couple of options.  You could find a replacement AVS top, that shouldn't be very hard or expensive.  Or you could plug the right side fuel inlet (retap) or just JB Weld it in, and/or have the fuel inlet moved to the driver's side.  Get a machine shop to drill and tap it for you.  You'll need a new line of course, but you'll have the original carb working for not much money.  Any new carb will be what, $200 or more? 

pbrking

I did not really think of that,  If I JB weld it in and it does not work am I screwed or can I still tap the other side.  If this works I might be able to put this off untill I decide what other engine upgrades I might do.

TylerCharger69

My 383  is... for the most part...stock  with Eddy manifold, Headers, electronic ignition, better cam....ya know....the basics.   I use an edelbrock 1405  and it seems to do okay!!!   I would rather have that demon though

mopar1968

Quote from: pbrking on June 20, 2006, 09:55:34 AM
Ok I have little mech. know how, little money but am dying to get my 66 back on the road which means I am doing the work and learning how as I go.  the problem is the old AVS is dead so I was looking to upgrade to a new carb.  I was looking at either a Demon, Edelbrock thunder or Holley street avenger.  I had decided to go with the holley 770cfm.  Well here is the problem and confusion.  year one says it wont work use an eddelbrock, Holley tech support says it will with two other parts but in the avenger manual it says it will not work with a chrysler auto tran. and I have guys at shows telling me to go with the demon. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh. this car will never see the track it is just for street use but i would like to blow a certain chevy off the line at a red light here in town if need be. any help would be great.

Mopar Muscle Mag had a recent issue about the Edelbrock Manifold and Holley Street Avenger carb 770cfm.  I'll try to find the issue, but those two pieces plus a mopar cam produced quite a bit more horses on a 440.  So, that is what I bought and it works great!  You will need 2 additional linkage pieces from Holley though to hook up your throttle and your tranny linkages and have them work properly.  If you read the manual for the carb Holley is telling you not to use that carb without the proper linkage pieces.  If you go with the Holley and your stock intake though, you will need a carb adapter to go from spreadbore to square plus the linkage pieces.

Personally, it sounds like you are on a temp budget and I would buy the rebuild kit for your carb ($30) and an additional carb for parts from the bone yard and get her running again.  This way you will know if you want to continue the project.

My .02

pbrking

thanks mopar1968 I am on a budget (buying a house) but I am putting my monthly bonus checks to the charger no ifs and or buts so I have about 600 right now. how I discovered the problem is I rebuilt the carb and she cranked and even ran except I am getting this link from the inlet from the fuel line and carb.  I bought some peratex today thought I would try that before I go the JB weld route.  I would like to hold off on the new carb till I figure out what else needs to be done. I will search for that Mopar Muscle issue.

mopar1968

Quote from: pbrking on June 26, 2006, 06:54:56 PM
thanks mopar1968 I am on a budget (buying a house) but I am putting my monthly bonus checks to the charger no ifs and or buts so I have about 600 right now. how I discovered the problem is I rebuilt the carb and she cranked and even ran except I am getting this link from the inlet from the fuel line and carb.  I bought some peratex today thought I would try that before I go the JB weld route.  I would like to hold off on the new carb till I figure out what else needs to be done. I will search for that Mopar Muscle issue.

I have my stock 4bbl carb and intake that I took off to install the new Edelbrock and Holley.  The carb ran great, but probably could use a rebuild.  I don't know the history of it as it came with the car, but the car ran just fine with it without any leaks too.  It's been about a month since I did the swap.

I'd be willing to help you out and get your car running.  Let me know if you want to work out something for the carb/manifold.  I'll also find that article for you in case you want to just go the NEW route.

Todd Wilson

You can put a holley on your engine. You need to order the throttle adaptor

What I found on a small block was the linkage movement to openthe carb hit the intake manifold. I had to put a 1 inch spacer on to get things to open up and clear. I am unsure if you would need this for a big block. 

After I put my spacer on the angle of the throttle pressure linkage  changed (pic 3) and it was going up slightly and hit my air cleaner not allowing proper movement. I had to fabricate my own attachment.

Please note these pictures are of a big block and my experience is with a small block. You may be able to order your adaptor and stick the new holley on and go. You might need a new air cleaner.

Todd

pbrking

;DTodd thanks for the pics I am starting to lean back towards the Holley. those Pics helped I am a very visual person and I am starting to realize what I need. Where did you get your throtle adapter, Year one has no clue what I am talking about.

mopar1968

Here is my Summit order from when I ordered the Holley, Manifold and other crap....I highlited in red the components you will need for a Holley install....

Part #  Item  Box  Status  Price  Qty  Price

CRT-M6903  FUEL PUMP STREET MOPAR 361-440  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $63.95  1  $63.95

EDL-4405  BREATHER CAP  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $6.88  1  $6.88

EDL-4410  BREATHER ROUND CHRME  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $7.88  2  $15.76

EDL-7193  PERFORMER RPM "RB" MOPAR  B   Shipped on 02/06/06  $199.88  1  $199.88

FPP-1215  BBM HIGH-DECK PAN & 4 GSKTS  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $21.88  1  $21.88

HLY-0-80770  STREET AVENGER 770 CFM CARB  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $364.88  1  $364.88

HLY-20-36  THROTTLE/CRUISE STUD GM  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $17.39  1  $17.39

HLY-20-7  LEVER EXT  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $6.88  1  $6.88

SUM-690055  EXH TIP SS SLT CUT 3X3.5X12  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $19.95  2  $39.90

SUM-P33705  EMB SUMMIT/USA FLAG HAT  A   Shipped on 01/31/06  $0.00  1  $0.00

Final price total may vary on foreign orders, items shipped directly from the manufacturer, hazardous materials, or in other special circumstances—call Customer Service at 1-800-517-1035 if you have any questions.
Parts Total:  $737.40
Handling Charge:  $9.75
Total Charges:  $747.15

If you need the part number for the Manifold or anything else I bought, feel free to use my receipt as an example.  The installation was very straight forward.  Some washers were used to provide the kickdown a smooth and straight action.  Once installed, it has been flawless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd Wilson

Quote from: pbrking on June 29, 2006, 09:07:45 AM
;DTodd thanks for the pics I am starting to lean back towards the Holley. those Pics helped I am a very visual person and I am starting to realize what I need. Where did you get your throtle adapter, Year one has no clue what I am talking about.

First thing to do is stop talking to Year One. They are a restoration outfit not a parts place.  Call a parts place like Summit or Jegs or Mancini and order your stuff.  You should be able to get the adaptor when you order the carb.

Todd

mikepmcs

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on June 20, 2006, 10:12:49 PM
My 383  is... for the most part...stock  with Eddy manifold, Headers, electronic ignition, better cam....ya know....the basics.   I use an edelbrock 1405  and it seems to do okay!!!   I would rather have that demon though

I have the same setup 383/1405 eddy, 600cfm is just too small for my 383.   I want a demon as well.  I'm changing my rear center first though. I've heard nothing but good things about Demon.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pbrking

Wow thanks for the shopping list I have a summit here in town. I think I am going to go with the Holley and hold on the Demon. unless I can find a glaring reason to do different. again thinks for all the info

Todd Wilson

Quote from: pbrking on June 30, 2006, 07:55:19 PM
Wow thanks for the shopping list I have a summit here in town. I think I am going to go with the Holley and hold on the Demon. unless I can find a glaring reason to do different. again thinks for all the info

Why do they call you PBRKING?   I thought I was the PBRKING?!  HAHA!

My Fridge......

Todd