News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A hard time to find a car

Started by mustanghater, June 19, 2006, 09:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal_J

I can hear his response already:

WAAAAAAA the car's in Utah and I'm in Ohio......

WAAAAAAA the car's in primer and I want one in the GoMango.....

WAAAAAAA the tires are black....

WAAAAAAA there's no good cars available.....

Or something similarly crybaby.

Neal

dodge freak

Maybe you should just get a motorcycle. You can get a used one thats fast for $4000, they are a ton of fun till you hit something. Good on gas too, if you are smart you get rid of it after 2-3 years, cause you will hit something one day, but yeah teenagers have really good reflex's so you might get away with it for a while. If not it was nice knowing you. P S I had a bike when I was 16, it was not that fast -175cc- but we had a lot of dirt roads and it could hit 70 mph, I loved it but got rid of it once  I was 19. Glad I did too, but it was fun and cheap.

694spdRT

One thing I have never had trouble finding is a used car. Something always comes up and unless you are looking for some rare model or expecting more than you can afford it should not be that hard.

How long have you seriously been looking. I cannot believe there is nothing within even a 25 mile radius of you that would fall in your price range.  Do you have the $4K in hand or is this a "I need to get a loan" issue.

I have lost track of what kind of cars you are looking for also. Do you want an older Charger for a daily driver or what? 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bordin34

Im 14 right now and have been looking for a good mopar for two years, thats since i was 12. Well, a couple weeks ago I found it. A 1974 Charger SE with very little rust and it drives. Only $2000, it now sits in my garage. If you look you will find it.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Quote from: bordin34 on June 21, 2006, 07:13:53 AM
Im 14 right now and have been looking for a good mopar for two years, thats since i was 12. Well, a couple weeks ago I found it. A 1974 Charger SE with very little rust and it drives. Only $2000, it now sits in my garage. If you look you will find it.

A perfect example of a kid with his head screwed on straight.  Learn from Bordin34's example MH.   

Quote from: TheGhost on June 20, 2006, 11:58:44 PM
I'll buy that 73 for $500. That's a 67% profit. ;D ;D

Seriously though, he's right. What you want is to have a car worth 15-20 just handed over to you for 4k, and that's never going to happen. You need to realize that.

Naw I need $550 to break even.  I bought a front fender I needed and floor pans I didn't need for it from Moparguy01.   ;D
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

dodge freak

Those are rusted out cars that need alot of work-and money put in to them. Why not go newer? Just looked at the 1979 Chrysler Cordoba's there are a few and most are at or under $4000. Not sure if you have the smog police where you live Ohio, but I think you do. Thats too bad cause up here in Michigan we have nothing, smog, safety nothing for any car or truck. All that smog crap can be ripped out and you can put headers-with mufflers , a nice intake, carb , cam, 3.91 gears etc. And have a kick butt car. Ok you are now over $4000 but you can get the car and slowly change stuff. Still if you are not a speed freak-no 16 years are right-those 79 Cordoba's are nice, clean too. Just the factory put 2.45 gears in them and choke the exhaust up and had a wimpy cam and carb on it. But it was a nice riding car and the frame can handle much more power. Most had power windows, locks , nice seats. I would look at those if you want a old Mopar in your $4000 price range.

Brock Samson

..might i suggest this one... or something like it MH?..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-DODGE-MIRADA-HISTORICAL-NICE-NO-RESERV-E_W0QQitemZ4652487413QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6210QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

seems just about perfect at your level of entry to the hobby... = $  ;D
look it comes with extra parts is fully equiped, has a 318 v-8 with rear wheel drive what's not to like?.  :shruggy:

dodge freak

Those are great too, that ones been off the road for 10 years, but that model is great. Think the weight is not bad. And they are cheap, not sure why people don't want them. Well most had that lean burn junk and were slow and still ate gas, but now of days you can make it run so good its almost unbelievable. It depends where you live and what you can and can't do to it. Look at that dash, it has a bunch of openings for all the gauges you want. I put them in mine car, I had to hack saw some of the plastic to get to fit, but once you put the trim back on it looks great. Those are 2 5/8 gauge openings, you can put oil, water , tach. It has a 85 mph speedometer but that too can be change out, its still cable driven. You can get a 120 mph or a 160 mph , what ever you like.

Brock Samson

i'd drive a Marada or Magnum, make a dang fine daily I'd say...  :icon_smile_wink:

or, you can wait fo one of these...

http://www.madle.org/ebug.htm

I'd drive it.. :yesnod:

Sledge57

I was gonna suggest this one too but ya know what? I need to go take a look at it myself, looks like a bad ass race car in waiting. Guess ya lost another one.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Dart-MODEL-170-1963-DODGE-DART-4-DR-3-OWNERS-LOW-MILES-LIKE-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6201QQihZ002QQitemZ4652172911QQrdZ1

Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

dodge freak

But it has 4 doors!! No 16 year old wants that, I don't care-would rather spend the money on the drivetrain and paint, but alot of people do. Some people here don't like the new Charger for that reason, I don't also but it has much more to do with the weight and all the plastic and the fact  - the rear end and even the frame can't take much more power without breaking then how it looks. Those air bags are a big turn off for me as well, if everybody used helmets that would save many more lives.

Sledge57

Quote from: dodge freak on June 21, 2006, 11:14:34 PM
But it has 4 doors!! .............

Yep and that's what makes it so cool, 4 doors and wagons give me WOOD....
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

terrible one

I'm 16. I got my Charger.

YYYYEEEAAAHHHH!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Lightning

But it has 4 doors!! No 16 year old wants that, I don't care-would rather spend the money on the drivetrain and paint, but alot of people do. Some people here don't like the new Charger for that reason, I don't also but it has much more to do with the weight and all the plastic and the fact  - the rear end and even the frame can't take much more power without breaking then how it looks. Those air bags are a big turn off for me as well, if everybody used helmets that would save many more lives.

not all 16 year olds hate 4-doors...look most tuner cars, they're four doors.

anyways, back to the topic at hand,  If he's really wanting to go newer, he can always find a Dippy or a Gran Fury, even better if he could find an ex-cop car! they are still very cheap, can be in good condition, and can easily hand a Mustang or a Camaro it's ass! or if he drops even more money into it, it could very possibly catch up to a older Corvette.  Although take for granted it doesn't look the greatest.  I run into that all the time, especially around here sometimes.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

TheGhost

You sure are windy.

MH has stated that he won't consider a 4 door car, if I recall.  Not that it matters, because I don't think he will ever buy a Mopar.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

ramit

dkn1997

If you want a deal on some cheap muscle, find yourself an 86 mustang GT.  EFI, A/c, power windows, decent styling, and almost all are 5 speeds.  T tops too (save up for frame connectors, though)

The best part is that there are a ton of USED speed parts for these.  you can get a pretty nice one for about 2500.00.  throw another grand at it and you will have a very easy 12 second car.  Hell, if you really scrounge, you may be able to put decent brakes on it so you don't end up like a road pizza....

V8, RWD, posi rear, and best of all....NO RICE!!!!
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Has all the speed parts already, titled as a 4 cylinder too.....can you say insurance?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-FORD-MUSTANG-NOTCHBACK-Street-or-Strip-5-0-5spd_W0QQitemZ4652838090QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is an SVO.  A V8 bolts right into this one, plus it's the only mustang of this era (79-89)  to leave the factory with 4 wheel discs and 16" wheels....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Ford-Mustang-SVO-Turbo-2-3-rare_W0QQitemZ110001396579QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That took me 10 minutes.

If the above fails, you can definately find a duster or a dart for the money you are looking to spend.  then get your parents to title it with a collector car insurance policy....

RECHRGED

Lowprofile

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 21, 2006, 09:57:35 PM

..might i suggest this one... or something like it MH?..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-DODGE-MIRADA-HISTORICAL-NICE-NO-RESERV-E_W0QQitemZ4652487413QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6210QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

seems just about perfect at your level of entry to the hobby... = $  ;D
look it comes with extra parts is fully equiped, has a 318 v-8 with rear wheel drive what's not to like?.  :shruggy:

Man, that would have been a great first car! Come on MH! Get on the stick!   :slap: :nutkick: :spank: :cussing: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

dkn1997

It took 24 hours for me to realize this, but I just told a guy who calls himself "mustanghater" to buy a mustang...  man...I am getting old!!!

although it's beyond me how anyone could actually hate a mustang.  maybe not everyones favorite, but not worthy of hating imho
RECHRGED

derailed

Quote from: dkn1997 on June 25, 2006, 02:22:04 PM
It took 24 hours for me to realize this, but I just told a guy who calls himself "mustanghater" to buy a mustang...  man...I am getting old!!!

:lol:

Brock Samson

mustanghater

I'm going to look at the green dart on ebay at the link above. He wants a lot for it but I'll bring it down and try to trade him some wide cragers for it.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

dodge freak

Well good luck to you. Those Darts are even bring big money these days, I remember when they were dirt cheap. Sorry I had to say that. those cars can be very quick, even with a small block, so long as you don't have 5 200 lbs guys with you.