News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage/Carport Extention to my House...Help!

Started by miamivice, August 08, 2007, 11:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamivice

First off, I have nooooo clue where to even start...so bear w/ me.  I have a 2 car garage and a driveway which i can fit two more cars.  Ive got my trans ams in the garage but will be getting the charger back from paint in a few months and I'll need the whole garage space to put the car back together.  Dont want to just put the TA's outside under tarps and would like something a little bit more permanent to keep direct rain downpour off them.   

So I dont know about building codes/permits.  I live in Seattle, so I dont even know if it is possible.  Anyone know of what the codes are (and then where exactly do I go to find out about it?)

It is a little bit of an odd area...so design ideas are welcome.  As you can see I am on a hill, so there is a rock wall on one side...and then also the driveway slopes up a bit, and slopes more on the right side than on the left.   ???

I tried to put measurments in, didnt work so well.  Width is 16.3 ft, and the length on the left is 22ft and on the right is 37ft

I just didnt know where else to post or ask for help.  If someone could point me in the right direction and advise that would be great!

thanks dc.com :coolgleamA:

69bronzeT5

If anything, Im gonna say add a carport to store the T/A in. If you add on more garage (to the length of your measurements), it will look funny unless you add more house above it. I think a carport would be a better idea
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ChargerRT440

Simple solution... Sell the TA... why do you have a GM anyways? :eek2:

lol jk. I would just put up a temporary storage. My dad bought a tarp garage that you can put up and dissamble in a couple of hours and works pretty good for our boat at the lake.

70charger_boy

Quote from: ChargerRT440 on August 09, 2007, 04:05:45 AM

lol jk. I would just put up a temporary storage. My dad bought a tarp garage that you can put up and dissamble in a couple of hours and works pretty good for our boat at the lake.

That is a stupid question.  TA's rock.  I have one and that TA miamivice has will be a perfect candidate for KITT.  KITT, is the second greatest TV car

PocketThunder

Call the city and ask them if you can add on to the front of your garage.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Research/LandUseQA/default.asp

Chances are though that there is a certain setback length from the street that you have to meet and it looks like you are pretty close to the street already.  But give them a call and ask.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 09, 2007, 08:24:36 AM
Call the city and ask them if you can add on to the front of your garage.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Research/LandUseQA/default.asp

Chances are though that there is a certain setback length from the street that you have to meet and it looks like you are pretty close to the street already.  But give them a call and ask.

Paul
in St. Paul

:iagree:

That was one of the criteria when I went to build a new house, what I could and couldn't do based on city and neighborhood restrictions. Looks like you're too close to the sidewalk for a garage expension or even a carport.... But, as Paul has given you, contact your city official first.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dodgecharger-fan

:iagree: :iagree:

Only the city engineers/planners are going to be able to answer your question completely and correctly, but I think it's also safe to say that they're going to tell you "no more permananent structure can be built on to the front of your existing structure due to setback limits." or something to that affect.

The simple way around this: temporary storage as mentioned above. Should require no permits and don't fall under any rules - unless you are in one of those neighbourhoods with their own rules - can't remember what ya call 'em.

I'd like to put one up, but mine would be so "out front" that I wouldn't like the look - never mind what the neighbours think.

You seem to have some "cover" on both sides of the driveway that I think makes the temp building a perfect solution.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 09, 2007, 05:20:55 AM

That is a stupid question.  TA's rock.  I have one and that TA miamivice has will be a perfect candidate for KITT.  KITT, is the second greatest TV car

Herbie the Love Bug was way better then KITT!

Todd

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BronzeOnSteelies

The neighborhood requirements are called "protective covenants" and unless you have a homeowners association and your subdivision has been around for years there is likely no one enforcing them. They may have been recorded with the County recorder's office along with the subdivision plat.

The setbacks are usually in the zoning ordinance under the category of residential zoning you fall under. Like the other guys said it does not like you have enough room to add much. The setback is measured from the public right of way line to the closest part of your house.

I went to a party a couple weeks ago and my friend had bought a "carport" from Menards for 60$. It was a white steel frame with white cloth for a "roof". May not hold up to winds in Seattle but could be worth checking one out.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

ITSA426

Do something fun and creative.  Add a deck to that upper floor.  There looks to be a line like something was there at one time.  Use the deck floor as a ceiling for a covered shelter.  If that won't work you might want to build a pergola/ trellis to plant vines on.  I could see a good 20 foot flower planter there, or a deck.  It might not be cheap but if done right could add to the value of the house.  In any case check with your city.  Here I'm not allowed a carport but can build a pergola large enough to park under.  Go figure.

dodgecharger-fan

70charger_boy

Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 09, 2007, 11:28:06 AM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 09, 2007, 05:20:55 AM

Herbie the Love Bug was way better then KITT!

Todd

:flame: :flame: :RantExplode:

miamivice

thanks for all the replies and tips.  i will have to go check w/ city codes about it, which is what i figured...at least i have some better ideas now.

are these metal pre-fabed free-standing carports considered permanent structures that need licenses/permits as well?

(random picture i found on the net)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: miamivice on August 12, 2007, 08:54:03 PM
thanks for all the replies and tips.  i will have to go check w/ city codes about it, which is what i figured...at least i have some better ideas now.

are these metal pre-fabed free-standing carports considered permanent structures that need licenses/permits as well?

(random picture i found on the net)

We have one of those carports at the Ol' Lady's business. They are considered temporary structures and don't require a permit around here. We did however have to go in front of the city council before we could put it in because we wanted to put it within one foot of the property line, we had the neighbors written permission so it was not a problem.  They are tough little suckers and for the price they can't be beat,IMO. You can also get them with metal sides on them and roll-up doors.

BronzeOnSteelies

Daytona's carport looks like a much better version of the Menard's cheap one. They are considered temporary structures here too.

70 Charger Boy, Looks like you have a 70 T/A that is my favorite year. My dream one would be blue on white or visa versa.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

BigBlackDodge

Also, the more you add to the front of the garage the worse the slope of the drive will be perhaps making any water issues even worse. You can in some cases build over the setback lines (side yard and rear yard mostly) provided you get a 'varinace' from the zoning board. Usually they'll allow a little oversteeping of the line but I doubt they approve a 20' + addition towards the street.

BBD

70charger_boy

Quote from: BronzeOnSteelies on August 14, 2007, 09:04:14 PM

70 Charger Boy, Looks like you have a 70 T/A that is my favorite year. My dream one would be blue on white or visa versa.

Thanks, it's actually a '75.  Believe me, I would Love to have a 70 too!!

miamivice

alright thanks again for all your replies.  i think one of those metal prefabbed carports would be best.  the only thing is, it seems like all of the bottoms have that straight rail that goes across, which since my driveway is sloped, would make the whole carport not sit level and screwy looking.  probably have to slightly dig out a little bit of ground on either side of the driveway and set it in.

anyone have pictures of similar setups they can post?

(btw, this is the side of my house if it matters)

Troy

How wide is your driveway? I have a carport like you're talking about and even though it says "20x20" it's actually 18.5x18.5. The roof overhangs the front and back so I guess they give you (generous) outside dimensions. The galvanized steel that makes up the roof is 10' in length and overlaps by a decent amount. So, the rails are likely going to be on concrete. You can shim the rails with rocks, wood, or concrete blocks but then you can't use the big stakes to anchor them to the ground. A double-wide carport like this weighs 700 pounds or so and I put sides on mine so it's even heavier. You may want it to slope downward a bit towards the front so rain overflow won't back up against the house. If you do this make sure the roof is put on so that the rear pieces are on top or the water will leak at the center seam.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

OldGuy

Quote from: ITSA426 on August 09, 2007, 05:09:12 PM
Do something fun and creative.  Add a deck to that upper floor.  There looks to be a line like something was there at one time.  Use the deck floor as a ceiling for a covered shelter.  If that won't work you might want to build a pergola/ trellis to plant vines on.  I could see a good 20 foot flower planter there, or a deck.  It might not be cheap but if done right could add to the value of the house.  In any case check with your city.  Here I'm not allowed a carport but can build a pergola large enough to park under.  Go figure.

I like IT's idea.  A deck would look better and could be constructed to fit the contour of the location.  You have the driveway going down towards the house and sloping away, as well.  I don't think they construct those prefab carports that will fit the contour of your land.  The pre-fab's are the same height on both sides/front and back.  Build a solid floor deck that fits the contour of the driveway and side, slope it slightly away from the house so the rain runs off, bring the sides of the deck down or even enclose it.  You now have a deck that is useful and adds value to your property. 

My cousin recently put one of those pre-fabs up exactly like you have portrayed.  However, the ground rails that the side posts go into have to be on level ground so the side posts come straight up and are perpendicular to the ground rail otherwise it will affect the strength of the structure.  You can check with the pre-fabs guys, but I don't thnk they are going to alter the design and structure to fit your needs. - I could be wrong though.  You would have to create a level base like Troy suggested. Even though a deck would be the way to go, you would need a building permit and the setback restrictions could prohibit you from building anything permanent.  Most setbacks are 30' in front and anywhere from 8' - 10' minimum on the sides.  Could be a problem for anything but a temporary structure.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".