News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Badass Coronet Gasser

Started by Crazy440, August 16, 2005, 01:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Thought ya might enjoy these.  The first, is a Coronet Gasser, running in England.  The second is just, way cool.  A Mini Gasser powered by a lawnmower motor.  Also, from England.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

IBsmokin

I can not believe they did that to a beautiful Coronet RT!!!!  :bawling:

ChargerRob

Hopefully someday it will be saved.  :(
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Jon Smith

The guy with the coronet is in the MMA, I sold him some heads, hes got another more stock looking 68 coronet

THE CHARGER PUNK

what do you do to make the front end wit like that one that 68 coronet?-MATT

THE CHARGER PUNK

also what tire size combo you think thats running?-MATT

SeattleCharger

Curious what the term "gasser" means, where it came from. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Crazy440

SeattleChargerDog , the simple answer is that the 'gas' class in early drag racing used to be anything that ran on 'gas' including street cars. As the cars got more powerful and lighter to make the most of the regulations, they obviously ran into traction problems. An easy answer was to raise the front of the car thus transferring weight to the rear to aid traction off the line. They were also allowed to move the engine back in the chassis for the same reason. In those days they simply weren't aware of aerodynamics, it was all about putting the power to the pavement.  They still had to have full interior and a stock body.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Drache

Thanks to Bhyron Stack:

QuoteIn 1958, a gas class racer was basically a hot street coupe.  No engine setback was allowed, all gassers had to have working lights, wipers, starter, generator and all other street equipment.  Fans and belts were optional, but radiators were required.  The car even had to be currently licensed for the street.  Full exhaust systems, including mufflers, were required but could be unhooked for competition, although they had to remain on the car.

What all this provided for was a class for guys to run a “hopped-up” street machine.  The cars were required to have full “factory-type” upholstery although two buckets could replace the standard bench seat as long as both were fully upholstered.  Customs were allowed as long as the car wasn’t chopped, channeled or sectioned a total of more than four inches.  “Four stock fenders” and a rear bumper were also required.

Full transmissions were also required.  “Quick-change rear-ends, locked differentials or ratchet-type rear-ends (high torque) are permissible with safety hubs.”  Four-wheel brakes were required as well.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Of course the rules changed alot but the last 60's! You can read all about it here:

http://www.gassermadness.com/Gas_Classes/
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Old Moparz

Cool pics.  :thumbs:  Stay calm IBSmokin, I don't think it's a real R/T with the mouldings running along the top body line. That was what you'd find on a Coronet 440 instead. (Usually a 318 car)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ph23vo

old is right it no R/T  relax  its just a reg coronet... dan

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img