News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Canada's Streeting Racing Penalities Just Got Stiffer

Started by Darkness, June 16, 2006, 10:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkness

Looks like they're really cracking down (literally) on street racing. :o

Drache

When I was caught speeding the cop told me I was street racing against the guy I was passing. That pissed me off and the more I tried to tell him I wasn't racing, the more he threatened me with heavier and heavier fines.

I know it's something like a $1000 fine, taking away your car for life, and maybe even losing your license for life.

I guess I know what happens to those cars they take away.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Duey

Life imprisonment if you kill someone street racing is another part of the legislation. 

I have absolutely no pity whatsoever for anyone that does this and hurts someone.  The Toronto couple recently killed just hundreds of yards from their home returning from their 17th anniversary, leaving behind 8 and 11 yeard old daughters...let the punk spend the rest of his life in the clink.  Imagine being the 16-year old baby sitter answering the door to two hulking police officers with very sombre faces...especialy as the couple had just phoned her minutes before telling her they were on the way home and would be there in 10 minutes...  :rotz:

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Shakey

Quote from: Duey on June 16, 2006, 11:01:49 AM
Life imprisonment if you kill someone street racing is another part of the legislation. 

I have absolutely no pity whatsoever for anyone that does this and hurts someone.  The Toronto couple recently killed just hundreds of yards from their home returning from their 17th anniversary, leaving behind 8 and 11 yeard old daughters...let the punk spend the rest of his life in the clink.  Imagine being the 16-year old baby sitter answering the door to two hulking police officers with very sombre faces...especialy as the couple had just phoned her minutes before telling her they were on the way home and would be there in 10 minutes...  :rotz:

Duey

Enough to put a tear in your eye.   :rotz:

Chryco Psycho

evem watching street races can result in $700+ fines & having your car towed / impounded
I have pity on these people either that race in totally unsafe places but I can see the law taking this too far & penalizing people who just go across an intersection from a light
I miss the old days we used to find a deserted road outside of town with no cross streets or pedestrian traffic & a few times the cops would come & watch 

DanishDude

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 16, 2006, 04:14:44 PMI miss the old days we used to find a deserted road outside of town with no cross streets or pedestrian traffic & a few times the cops would come & watch 
I doubt the following applies to either Canada or the US, but in some countries, like here in Denmark, 'the old days' never existed in the first place.

Here the population density is such that there never really was (or is) any open, deserted spaces or roads, where street racers could run amok. So the 'sport' never developed in the first place until fairly recently, where the youngsters have taken to race on the harbour piers at night or similar 'not-really-deserted' places.

A few years ago there was a very unfortunate case of crazies doing streetracing in the middle of downtown Copenhagen in the early evening, complete with one of the cars running against the traffic in the wrong lane. A young woman and her child in a stroller were killed, while her husband was left severely disabled.

Cannot really say that I blame the lawmakers trying to stop something like that.

Frank.
Dream car: '68 Charger. Project status: Currently charging Charger cash capacitor.

Mefirst

Organised Street Racing has been going on more or less once or twice a month over here in Stockholm since 1980. The Police have tried to stop it, but not with any real effort. The organised racing has not caused any accidents during the years...

Then again there has been several accidents caused by sh..head kids racing their mums Hondas..

One thing though Id want to point out, that its allot of difference between kids racing their mums Honda and real organised illegal street racing...

Eventhough I have and surely will again participate in Organised illegal racing I do think racing should be done at the track and not on city streets or highways where innocent people can get hurt..

/Tom

DanishDude

Quote from: Mefirst on June 16, 2006, 06:12:44 PMOne thing though Id want to point out, that its allot of difference between kids racing their mums Honda and real organised illegal street racing...
Hi Tom,

Well, you might be right about that. But from what I have heard at least, then there is only one kind of street racing taking place in Denmark, the non-organized kind.

Having lived for 16 years in the second largest city in Denmark I just tried coming up with a suitable strip of road with no or low traffic somewhere in the neighbourhood - and failed. I know that some parts of the harbour in the city of Esbjerg has been used for illegal street racing, but the police was quick to stomp out that idea.

Seems that historically roads have frequently been made both narrow and twisty, unless traffic patterns really justified a wide and straight highway.

We do race of course, legally and organised on a pair of ex-NATO airfields.  :icon_smile_big:  :drive:

Frank.
Dream car: '68 Charger. Project status: Currently charging Charger cash capacitor.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: DanishDude on June 16, 2006, 04:47:32 PM

Cannot really say that I blame the lawmakers trying to stop something like that.

Frank.

I agree totally

Telvis

Yep..Idiot street racers should be locked away especially if they kill or maim. No Mercy!