News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me out with the 'CARS' models and years

Started by bull, June 14, 2006, 03:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I know maybe 1/3 of the models and years from the movie and the others look familiar but I can't place them all. The biggest mysteries to me was Flo (she looks very familiar but I just can't place it) and Lightning McQueen. Was he just a generic car or is he an actual model? And is Chick Hicks a Buick GN? Anyway, I thought it might be fun to match the main "Cars" characters with their real counterparts. Match the character names with the year, make and model of the cars they represent:

bull

And did you know they made two full scale replicas of Lightning McQueen and Sally Carrera to take to car shows this spring and summer?
http://site342.mysite4now.com/jimhillmedia/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/04/18/1906.aspx

dodgecharger-fan

I thought lightning was styled along the lines of a viper... not really a true representation, I think, but close.

It's funny 'cause up here, Ford is running a promo where a 'stang breaks through a graphic of lightning - like it's supposed to be the character becoming real...

not even close.

4402tuff4u

I would say the Flo character is either a Cadillac late 50's or 59 - 60 Impala? ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

PocketThunder

i thought lightning was a mazda but naaa cant be.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Actually looking at Flo again, I'm going to say a 57 Chrysler! :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on June 14, 2006, 12:51:25 PM
Actually looking at Flo again, I'm going to say a 57 Chrysler! :yesnod:

She looks like the 51 Buick lesabre concept car to me.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

Mike DC

"Lightning McQueen" looks like a fully custom job to me. 

He's obviously about 75% of the way to being a modern cookie-cutter NASCAR from the 1990s/2000s, but the proportions are a bit caricaturized to look cooler.

CaptMarvel

I think the Flo character was supposed to be a customized late 50's DeSoto or Plymouth. Those massive fins are a dead Mopar giveaway. The upper body lines look a little bit Buick, but I think Mopar (hard to tell with all the customizing) Also, Flo (a tribute to Polly Holidays character? Alice also revolved around a roadside Americana setting.) Fillmore (obvoius SF/hippie tribute, but why Hendrix instead of the Dead or Airplane?)  ???

Respect the classics man...

Lightning

y'know if y'all check the Cars website it tells you.

also, the back liscense plate frame on Flo is from GM's 1950's Motorama, she's a show car.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

bull

Quote from: Lightning on June 14, 2006, 09:11:01 PM
y'know if y'all check the Cars website it tells you.

also, the back liscense plate frame on Flo is from GM's 1950's Motorama, she's a show car.

Which link? I looked for it and could only find info on a few of the cars.

chrisII

am i the only one who sees "chick hicks" as an early 80s cordoba??  look at the grille and roof line (from the side) screams cordoba..dunno why they would use that, but i think its kool. i can see the buick regal too i guess , but im a mopar man lol

Orange_Crush

Quote from: chrisII on June 15, 2006, 08:19:39 PM
am i the only one who sees "chick hicks" as an early 80s cordoba??  look at the grille and roof line (from the side) screams cordoba..dunno why they would use that, but i think its kool. i can see the buick regal too i guess , but im a mopar man lol

'80s Buick regal.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

chrisII

my knowledge of racing tells me that the regal was much mor comin as a race car. but when i watched the movie more often than not he seemed longer and the rear of the roof seemed more like a cordoba. the lines of the hood even seem more pronounced like on a cordoba..an hey all cool cars shuld be mopars...my opinion but hey thats the one that counts...to me lol

ramit

I just saw this movie with my son yesterday and it was great! :2thumbs:  I would highly recommend it to anybody.  I normally do not enjoy to many kids movies.

CaptMarvel

Chick was definatley GM/Buick influenced. I still think Flo looks like an old Desoto ???

Charger_Fan

I saw it yesterday too, it was AWESOME! :2thumbs:
I'm still chucking to myself about some of the stuff they did, pretty cool movie for sure. :yesnod:

Quote from: Lightning on June 14, 2006, 09:11:01 PM

:iagree:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Neal_J

Best Mopar line of the movie - when the Sherrif car tells Lightning:  You in a heap of trouble, Boy!"  I nearly fell outta my seat.

Neal

teddy1500

I thought that chick hicks was a 79 thunderbird,  Think Earnhardt

Dave22443

I don't think Earnhardt ever drove a Thunderbird.  To me, Chick Hicks was a Harry Gant knock off with the Buick body, green paint and big mustache.  But then, Harry had class and would never drive like Hicks did, so who knows?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

69charger383

I got this poster from McD's which shows basically all the cars. I saw a 50's Impala, a 60s/70s Dodge Van, VW van, Mini Cooper, 50s or 60s truck, 74 Monte Carlo and the Bird of course.
Mopar or No Car!

Headrope

I feel sorry for the Chevron cars. They were ahead of their time.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Lightning

Quote from: Dave22443 on June 23, 2006, 09:01:49 PM
I don't think Earnhardt ever drove a Thunderbird.  To me, Chick Hicks was a Harry Gant knock off with the Buick body, green paint and big mustache.  But then, Harry had class and would never drive like Hicks did, so who knows?

he did, for Bud Moore in the '80's before going back to Childress.

I think Chick was a combination of Earnhardt and Gant....
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Doc74

This should cover it, feel free to debate.
Not my list btw

McQueen - original Pixar design
Doc - 1951 Hudson Hornet
Sally - 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera
Mater - 1955 Chevy 3100 Wrecker
Ramone - 1959 Chevy Impala Lowrider
Luigi - 1959 Fiat 500
Guido - Isetta Forklift
Flo - 1957 Motoroma showcar
Sarge - 1946 Willys CJ-2A
Sheriff - 1949 Mercury Cruiser
Fillmore - 1960 VW Bus