News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it worth it to change gears for a trip?

Started by AKcharger, August 15, 2005, 05:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

We're planning to drive about 2000 miles round trip to the "all-Charger meet" at El-Dorado in Sept. Question is...Is it worth it to swap from a 3.23 chunk to a 2.76 chunk for the drive for RPM and gas milage savings...is there much of a diffrence between the two? I've done the swap before it's easy enough

Thanks

AK

ChgrSteve67

Here is a calculator to play with

http://www.csgnetwork.com/gearratcalc.html

(examples)
Engine RPM 2650
Tire Size 28 diameter
MPH 80
2.76 to 1

Engine RPM 3101
Tire Size 28 diameter
MPH 80
3.23 to 1

I'm no expert on tire size and gears but cruising freeway speeds 500 RPM will make a big difference on gas mileage.
If you have the parts and time I would say put in the taller gear.

I had 2.71's in my charger and my cousin traded them out for 3.55's, The car is lots of fun in town but doesn't have the top end it use to.

KMPX2

If you have a 8 3/4 & you have the gears all ready to just dropin. Plus the time to kill pulling them out & putting them back in go for it. Me I don't have that kind of spare time. I have 3:55 in mine & I have taken it on all kinds of road trips

Charger4404spd

With the price of gas going up everyday, I'd say yes its worth it.

LahTera

Hey, AK!!!

How's that Charger going these days? 

Dunno what gas prices are like down there, but here in Anchorage, it went from yesterday at $2.37 to today at $2.44.  And as much as I hate it, I have to use that low-octane stuff or not drive at all.   :flame:

We're buying a place in Mt. View and moving in next month.  Not enough room for all the cars, but luckily, Russ' aunt lives across the street and is letting us park all the Mopars in her fenced yard.  (Whew!)  Finding a spot for all those cars has always been a big deal for us in finding a place to live.  And then there's the dog and 4 kids.  Ack!

Good to "see" ya',

Mandy aka LahTera

KMPX2

It was $2.56 here in Mich. last time I looked

AKcharger

Copy all...cool calculatoer steve! Lah tera great to hear from you...you have mail

I think it will be worth the swap

AK

chrisII

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 15, 2005, 06:03:13 PM

I had 2.71's in my charger and my cousin traded them out for 3.55's, The car is lots of fun in town but doesn't have the top end it use to.

WOW how brave are you? i currently have 2.76s and think i want something lower or 3rd gear is waisted..as it is i hit 3rd at like 93mph when im on it in drive.
    my 74 had 2.73s with a 318.. cop clocked me at like 142 an heard the 4bbl open up when i passed him , i had slowed down to go over a hill. he was sitting in a driveway on the back side of the hill..i was 17 then young and foolish. now i normaly keep it in the 2 didgits on the speedo. 3rd is like over drive almost lol..but i guess at 2.59 a gal for cheep gas if you plann to drive that kinda mileage i might go with the tall gears.

Dodge-Charger

Im gonna say yes, gas just hit 2.69 .9 here the dat before it was 2.50 .9

MoparYoungGun

472 R/T SE

If you have the time why not.  Your motor will be thanking you. :icon_smile_approve:  I always loved that about Mopar, quick change ratio.

Shakey

I thought that 3.23's were considered "highway gears"?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Shakey on August 16, 2005, 06:12:03 AM

No...  they're considered the low end of "performance gears"   Or is that the high end?   Whatever.  When I think highway gears I think of stuff like 2.73's.

For a 2K mile trip,   you bet yer azz I'd be changing gears...  if I didn't have the 5 speed already  ;D
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

70charginglizard

Id say yes if your doing a trip that far.
Remember if you change the gears out, I believe you have to change your tranny speedometer gear out as well or you'll get an inacurate MPH reading.
70charginglizard

RD

you betcha hiney ya better do it, I want to see you and suebear in person!  El Dorado is only 70 miles from me.  :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_big:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Don't forget to change the speedo pinion too or you'll be LEO bait.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChargerRob

Definately do it. It'll be worth the savings in gas.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

AKcharger

Quote from: Shakey on August 16, 2005, 06:12:03 AM

When I was in high school they were! I guess I'm just getting old ::)

andy74

:haha: :haha: me to ak! i bought a monte carlo for a winter rat in 87,and all my buddies were amazed at 3.08 gears,like getting double digit gas mileage was a joke!!chevies always make good winter rats,going through snowbanks donughts in the mall parking lots etc!!

chargermick

How hard  is it to swap gears? You guys make it sound pretty simple, I assumed it was something only a pro or a guy like Chrycho could do.

RD

its easy if you have an 8 3/4 and you already have another hogshead setup with 2.76's in it.  but if you do not, then you need to remove the carrier and pinion, replace the gears, get instruments to measure the backlash, and have marking compound to see how the gears mesh and then find out you need another shim on the pinion (hehe :D:D)

What AK, and everyone else is talking about, is just doing a hogshead swap.  removing the hogshead and replacing it with a hogshead that is already setup with highway gears.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

LahTera

John_Kunkel

Actually, 3.23's were considered a performance gear by the factory, the 2.76 and 2.94 were considered the standard gear and were standard equipment on all but HP cars.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

CFMopar

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

I kept my 4:10's in for the 5 hour drive to Columbus last weekend.  Take my word for it.  Swap them out.