News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Canadian Mopar owners, I have a question....

Started by hemi68charger, June 08, 2006, 09:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Have a question to pose... I have sold my '70 Charger R/T to a fella in Canada and there seems to be issues with US Customs leaving... I have a clear title, but never transferred it into my name for there was no need at the time... Again, the title's signed over by the original seller.. The agent told my buyer that the bill of sale owner needs to match the name on the title.... The owner has deceased and I have a copy of the death certificate, so that's no problem.... Anyways, just looking to see if someone's had a similiar experience......

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

doctorpimp

My wife is in the process of buying a 66 Barracuda from Calif and we've looked into this as well.
It doesn't mention this anywhere on the Customs' website:
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
I think it's up to the Customs agent who is handling the case.  You may have to get the title transferred into your name before it can leave though.  You're best to call the border crossing where the veh will be leaving the US for Canada to get their policy.
Good Luck
:icon_smile_big:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

doctorpimp

Here's the Canadian site:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
Most of this info pertains to cars 15 years old or newer so you can disregard fees etc...

Ghoste

I can check with one of the girls in the office tomorrow Troy and see if they can give any advice.

doctorpimp

Quote from: Ghoste on June 08, 2006, 10:18:34 PM
I can check with one of the girls in the office tomorrow Troy and see if they can give any advice.
Do you work for Customs Ghoste?

Ghoste

No, I do some occasional work for a company that transports a very large number of antique and classic cars across the border each week.  Tomorrow happens to be a day when I will be out there.

doctorpimp

:popcrn:
Cool.  Find out if the Title has to be in the Canadians name, or just the sellers.

Ghoste

Okay.  I believe the car will also be held at the US side of the border when it arrives for three days to ensure the paperwork is correct.  That is a recent thing and it has hurt us for guys bringing cars to the Toronto auction. 

Bullit_68

when i got my car a 68 charger from GA i bought it from the original owner so the title was in his name i had no problems getting it across but the owner faxed all the info to the border 3 days before that was 3 years ago though so i,m not sure if it,s still the same.

hemi68charger

Thanks guys.. It all started with the buyer telling me vehicles aren't titled in Canada, only homes and land........ So, I just sent him the original title signed over to the guy I bought the car from. That title is accompanied with a death certificate for the original owner. Guess all I need is to find my Bill of sale and mate it up with the new guys Bill of sale between he and I..... Not sure how long it'll be to change the title over to my name.....

Thanks for the input guys..... I've never dealt with a out-of-country sale before and don't have any "common sense" base yet......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

Well, we don't have titles in that sense, but we do have certificates of ownership, so the paperwork still has to be correct.

doctorpimp

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2006, 06:06:58 AM
Thanks guys.. It all started with the buyer telling me vehicles aren't titled in Canada, only homes and land........ So, I just sent him the original title signed over to the guy I bought the car from. That title is accompanied with a death certificate for the original owner. Guess all I need is to find my Bill of sale and mate it up with the new guys Bill of sale between he and I..... Not sure how long it'll be to change the title over to my name.....

Thanks for the input guys..... I've never dealt with a out-of-country sale before and don't have any "common sense" base yet......

Troy
I think all that US Customs worries about is if the car was sold legally.  If there are any people holding liens on the car they have to be notified too.  That's all part of the 72 hour hold by customs before the car can leave the US.

If you were going to change the title to your name it may take a while...or maybe not ;D  In California, they offer a 48 hour titling service at the DMV for $30 (my seller had a loan on the car that was paid off and he had to get the clear title in his name.)  I don't know about other states  ;)

doctorpimp

Quote from: Bullit_68 on June 09, 2006, 03:55:37 AM
when i got my car a 68 charger from GA i bought it from the original owner so the title was in his name i had no problems getting it across but the owner faxed all the info to the border 3 days before that was 3 years ago though so i,m not sure if it,s still the same.
That's good to know.
US Customs now requires the original title and 2 copies 72 hrs prior, no more faxes  >:(
They said it's best to send by courrier and call prior to coming to the border to ensure the full 72 hrs has passed.

mopar1

Hope this helps.I brought my 71 charger into Canada.What is required for U.S. customs is a fax of the existing title(does not have to be registerd by current owner,can make it easier.Less questions that sort of thing) A copy of that title has to be in their possesion for 72 hours.I believe they run lien and possible theft checks before vehicle can leave the country.This all must take place at point of entry.Than you must clear Canadian customs....I believe it is a payment of the famous g.s.t. that is required. Than you are done.To get pllates the car has to be certified and insured. Than a payment for p.s.t.  And stickers.

Ghoste

Check one post above yours on the fax part though. 

doctorpimp

Yep, I got that from a US Customs agent directly on the phone. ;)

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar1 on June 09, 2006, 09:12:00 AM
Hope this helps.I brought my 71 charger into Canada.What is required for U.S. customs is a fax of the existing title(does not have to be registerd by current owner,can make it easier.Less questions that sort of thing) A copy of that title has to be in their possesion for 72 hours.I believe they run lien and possible theft checks before vehicle can leave the country.This all must take place at point of entry.Than you must clear Canadian customs....I believe it is a payment of the famous g.s.t. that is required. Than you are done.To get pllates the car has to be certified and insured. Than a payment for p.s.t.  And stickers.

Well, there is a clear original title and it is signed over to the gentleman I bought the car from. Hell, I think this is the title to the original deceased owner of which I have the death certificate, the power of attorney for the estate and a court record stating there isn't any liens.......

Troy
Troy

Ghoste

I haven't gotten out to RM yet, but offhand, I'd say you're covered.

Ghoste

Well, for the most part, it sounds like you're covered.  If he has any hassles, it should more likely be on the Canadian side.
Which port of entry is the car expected to cross at?  The best advice they had for me in the office was to contact someone responsible on both sides of the border and have everything lined up ahead of time.  Largely, when RM are moving cars and it is expected there will be any paperwork hassle, a broker is automatically used.  For the dollar value of cars moved, it becomes a more useful measure here.  Also, we have a warehouse in Detroit so the luxury of having a place to store cars while problems are sorted out exists.

mopar1

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2006, 10:19:10 AM
Quote from: mopar1 on June 09, 2006, 09:12:00 AM

Well, there is a clear original title and it is signed over to the gentleman I bought the car from. Hell, I think this is the title to the original deceased owner of which I have the death certificate, the power of attorney for the estate and a court record stating there isn't any liens.......Remember this can't be done at all point of entries.So call a head and put all your facts in order.You want this to be as painless as possible,but does take some planning and research.I did my transaction in November and all was required was a signed California ownership by the original owner.Apparently this is very common in the U.S. My suggestion is not to pay for the car until the 72 hours has expired.At this time call U.S. customs and ask for as much information as they will possibly give you.I know they don't like theese phone calls, but you need to know that everything has cleared.Also if it makes you feel more comfortable , have him regester the car in his own name.It sounds like thats what you would prefer.In my opinion that would be a very reasonable request,especially if it could be the differance in selling the car.

Troy

doctorpimp