News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering or no?

Started by Wakko, June 07, 2006, 10:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on June 17, 2006, 09:00:53 PM
Keep the power steering.   I drove so long manually   and then when I hooked the pump up....man  what a difference!!!!    Keep it!!!

Are you saying you drove a power steering car WITHOUT the pump hooked up?? If so you were REALLLLLY doing double duty. Manual steering is nowhere near as bad..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TylerCharger69

oh i know that...but  im spoiled with the ease of the power steering. :icon_smile_big:

COKE

Manual steering is not like a power steering without the belt!

My car had power steering when i bought it. I hated it,so i changed to power steering and the car changed a lot.
However it is hard but not so hard like someone  said above.I had an European Chrysler with 4 cilynder engine and rack and pinion manual steering ,and it was harder to turn than the Charger.
Anyway , i would suggest to go to a Feel-firm power steering box if you are not happy with the lack of feel at high speeds.
But keep it with with the P.s! ;)
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

MOPARHOUND!

Drove a 69 GTX for around 25,000 miles with manual steering, really liked it.  One key is to grease the front end regularly.  I do it like the trucker's in the old days with manual steering did, jack up the front end off the ground for the lubing, takes the weight off stuff.  Liked the road feel of it.  Being 6' 3" and 300 lbs. helps on the rare occasion that parking is tight.

Have driven the 71 Charger R/T about 11,000 miles now, and the power steering is okay.  But is still a maintenance item, with all the hoses, belt, and bolts.  That, and it takes up space in the engine bay, and takes a few HP to run.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Mefirst

I hated the over powered, power steering, no road feel what so ever.. I changed to a manual steering, only problem at first was the damn small diameter steering wheel, but once I changed the steering wheel out for a little bigger one, no problems. I love the steering feel of the car right now... Then again I didint have the pleasure to put that many miles driving it, the 440 died the first day at the track...

/Tom

Lightning

my daily is a '88 Toyota p/u that doesn't have PS,  only when it's at slow speeds do I curse the truck for not having it.  while driving along it's nice though.  On my chrysler, there's no road feel at all, I could turn the car with my pinky finger!

once I yank the motor, the PS box is getting replaced with one of Firm Feel's boxes, probably the stage 3 one, as well as their pitman and idler arms.  I'm also gonna put a quickener on the thing too.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

my73charger

How about a Flaming River Manual Steering Box?  Suppose to have a quicker ratio?

Lightning

Quote from: my73charger on June 30, 2006, 05:37:16 PM
How about a Flaming River Manual Steering Box?  Suppose to have a quicker ratio?

wouldn't that require more effort on the steeree's part though?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

my73charger

Not sure, that is why I included the question mark.  I was hoping someone would have some experience with these as I have been looking at them myself.  I do have a question, if you converted over would you need a different pittman arm?  Anything else need changed?

71charger_fan

I had a Barracude with manual steering and a Barracude with power steering. I'd keep the power.