News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tail Light Panel Paint Question...

Started by csx4590, January 23, 2016, 02:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

A buddy of mine asked me this a few weeks ago and I didn't have a definitive answer for him. Did all 68-70 Chargers originally have black tail light panels? I always thought they did but couldn't say with 100% certainty...

Al

XH29N0G

The XH did not come with a tail panel and I am under the impression there may be others. Here is a pic of the back end of mine (before restoration).  It is in its original state.  The dents were from hauling a boat, and the filler was to fix some of those dents.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

csx4590

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 23, 2016, 03:33:28 PM
The XH did not come with a tail panel and I am under the impression there may be others. Here is a pic of the back end of mine (before restoration).  It is in its original state.  The dents were from hauling a boat, and the filler was to fix some of those dents.

What do you mean by "XH"? Could your car's tail panel have been factory painted green and the black added on top. Then later the black was removed? All the early ads I have seen have a black panel...

XH29N0G

the XH29 were an economy version of the charger introduced in 1970.  Mine was ordered new by my father, and I bought it from him in 1983 so I can tell you that a separate tail panel was not on it or painted green.  That is unless I do not understand what the tail panels are.  My impression is that they are a separate piece, but maybe I am wrong.  

There is information posted on the charger registry at the charger registry

Maybe someone else knows.

Two more pictures too.  Maybe they answer your question.

Or maybe it protects us. 

csx4590

The tail light panel is the body panel that the tail lights are surrounded by. It is part of the body, not a separate piece (although some of the '70 models had aluminum surround trim piece. Thanks for that ad. I had never heard of the XH model. I thought all Chargers were XP...

Everybody else: So for the 68-69 models, were they all painted black or certain models???

XH29N0G

So it is a body panel and would be the tail panel, but painted body color.  I was mistaken and thought this was a separate piece. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

csx4590

Tail light panel...

XH29N0G

Yep, That's what was painted green rather than having the black out treatment. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

Just ran across this discussion on lights and tail panels  as well as their trim  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=46105.0

Or maybe it protects us. 

Troy

68-69 did - although the black is applied slightly differently. The 68 version has trim that essentially goes in a loop so the black is within those bounds where the 69 only has trim on the top and sides with the bumper being the lower limit. The 70 would be the same as 69 except for the previously mentioned XH models or anything with the bolt on trim panel.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.