News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What the hell happend in the mid-late 70s?

Started by Bones68charger, June 06, 2006, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones68charger

We all know what happend to the Muscle car back in the early 70s, but what happend with cars in the late 70s in general. Now the Trans Ams were cool, but look at every thing else. Ugly! Even in the grand ma cars of the 50s 60s were good looking or atleast in my opinion. The mid to late 70s where crap!

If they could not make them fast, they could have atleast made them good looking!

My 2 cents

nh_mopar_fan

I like the look of the Mirada and all the Aspen/Volare models.

mikepmcs

I think this one looks pretty good.  Courtesy of Big Kahuna

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chris G.

It got even worse in the 80's...

But it's getting better as time prevails.  :P

What's next? ..........

BrianShaughnessy

Ever watch that '70's Show and everybody is sitting around in a circle getting messed up?   

There ya go.

Or it could have been the Disco music.  :icon_smile_dead:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TruckDriver

I used to own one of these. It looked just like this one.

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemihead

I liked the late 70's and even the 80's Mopars but you will never sell me one of those butt ugly Creeders!  :rotz:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

JimsSE

I guess it depends on your perspective...

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

694spdRT

My family had one of the 2.2 Chargers also. Dad bought it brand new in 1982 and it was our family car.

Here are some pics of it back in 1983 when we were going on vacation to Florida. That is my dad in the red and black jacket with mom, me and my sister. I still can't figure out how we all got in that thing plus a weeks worth of luggage. Nowadays you need a full size SUV to do that....I guess we just worked with what we had.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

Jimmy Carter is what happened. He started the smog regulations and the American car companies got a haymaker upside the head. Yes, Jimmy killed the muscle car. That's when itty-bitty Japanese cars took over the market because of the supposed gas shortage. That's when Hemi Charger Daytonas began selling for $2k. That's when Chevy began producing Corvettes with 160 hp because they were too choked down to run. That's when Chrysler almost went bankrupt and IH stopped producing Scouts and Travelalls because they didn't build any rice-burners to up their company's average mpg. That's when the phony smog pump was created to effectively fool government testing equipment by pumping air into the exhaust manifolds. And that was pretty much the last time anyone produced a car that the average schmuck could work on. Maybe I should thank him for helping drive up the value of my Charger, or maybe I'll keep cussing him for helping drive up the prices of the well-used junk we call replacement parts? Nah, I give him too much credit. He is a dork though, I'll give him that. ;D

bull

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on June 06, 2006, 07:13:03 PM
It got even worse in the 80's...

But it's getting better as time prevails.  :P

What's next? ..........

Better? I believe they call that devolution and the '06 is the missing link.

hemihead

Quote from: bull on June 07, 2006, 04:40:57 AM
Jimmy Carter is what happened. He started the smog regulations and the American car companies got a haymaker upside the head. Yes, Jimmy killed the muscle car. That's when itty-bitty Japanese cars took over the market because of the supposed gas shortage. That's when Hemi Charger Daytonas began selling for $2k. That's when Chevy began producing Corvettes with 160 hp because they were too choked down to run. That's when Chrysler almost went bankrupt and IH stopped producing Scouts and Travelalls because they didn't build any rice-burners to up their company's average mpg. That's when the phony smog pump was created to effectively fool government testing equipment by pumping air into the exhaust manifolds. And that was pretty much the last time anyone produced a car that the average schmuck could work on. Maybe I should thank him for helping drive up the value of my Charger, or maybe I'll keep cussing him for helping drive up the prices of the well-used junk we call replacement parts? Nah, I give him too much credit. He is a dork though, I'll give him that. ;D
You can't blame Carter for that. Try going back to the Fuel Embargo of 1973.That would have been Nixon.As far as Mopar almost going bankrupt,what were all you Mopar lovers buying?Probably drooling over Camaros and Trans Ams.
  Led Zeppelin

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bull on June 07, 2006, 04:40:57 AM

::)       

The EPA was created and the Clean Air Act was passed in 1970 (Nixon).  Catalytic converters first showed up on cars about 1975.   Smog pumps were on cars already in the late 60's. 
Insurance companies and the 1973 arab oil embargo effectively killed off what was left of the muscle car era together.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bull

Ok fine, I'm talking out my a$$ regarding Carter. I knew I was giving him too much credit. But either way the end of the muscle car era can be traced back to government regulations, and Carter's foreign policy in the Middle East drove the last nail in the coffin and dashed any hope of recovery when oil imports from Iran were stopped in November 1979 and caused Americans to burn 150,000 barrels of oil per day idling their cars in lines at the gas stations. American car makers got caught with their pants down and suffered for about 15 years because of it. I think Nixon's record speaks for itself but I'll start cussing him too now. Whether the emissions regulations really do that much to help, I don't know. If we were burning something clean other than gasoline (like ethanol) we wouldn't even need the regulations and added layers of government. It reminds me of the recycling kick we're supposed to be on now. Instead of putting that stuff in the trash we send out a second truck to follow the route of the first and pick up used paper, tin cans, glass and plastic -- and burn twice as much fuel doing it.

Bones68charger

Boy I really did not want to make this thread political, I was just saying that I think late 70s cars of ugly. I just recently saw a Charger that was post 1974 and I about wanted to puke.

nh_mopar_fan

Just recently?

Were you in the process of moving to a new cave or what?

;D

Bones68charger

I live close to the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota. If you ever want to know where every old car you have ever heard of is parked or driven just go there. They do not through away cars up there! That is where I saw this Charger. A friend of mine found a 68 Charger R/T up there and bought it from the guy. It turned out the guy did not own the car, so he had it for one day before the cops came and took it from him. That is not uncommon up here. There are literally fields of cars up there just sitting there, but there is no such thing as a title either.

Orange_Crush

Lots of things happened in the seventies that caused cars to become what they did  and the fault REALLY rests squarely on the shoulders of the car companies.

When emmissions and clean air regs started becoming the norm, car companies reaction was "we'll just take existing engies and put bad-aids on them."

When the japanese started making inroads by offering great fuel economy and decent quality, the American car companies laughed and said "Americans won't drive economy cars."

When the oil embargo hit and Japanese cars took off, the US companies' response was the Pinto and the Vega which were SERIOUSLY outclassed.

When insurance rates went up, they took existing cars and de-emphasized performance and emphasized "personal luxury" with velour seats, landau tops, wire hubcaps, and super-smogged engines which barely made enough power to run a lawn tractor (remember the 500 CID '75 ElDorado which put out all of 190 horsepower?).
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

694spdRT

Quote from: Orange_Crush on June 07, 2006, 08:35:28 AM
When insurance rates went up, they took existing cars and de-emphasized performance and emphasized "personal luxury" with velour seats, landau tops, wire hubcaps, and super-smogged engines which barely made enough power to run a lawn tractor (remember the 500 CID '75 ElDorado which put out all of 190 horsepower?).

Don't forget the exclusive "Corinthian" leather offered up by Chrysler.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Bones68charger on June 06, 2006, 06:13:50 PM
We all know what happend to the Muscle car back in the early 70s, but what happend with cars in the late 70s in general. Now the Trans Ams were cool, but look at every thing else. Ugly! Even in the grand ma cars of the 50s 60s were good looking or atleast in my opinion. The mid to late 70s where crap!

If they could not make them fast, they could have atleast made them good looking!

My 2 cents
Ugly? For the most part I would have to agree. Most cars I remember from the late '70's were very unimpressive performance and style wise. But in all fairness there were a few that weren't too bad though. A few that come to mind (that I have actually owned) are a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr hardtop, 1979 Trans Am, and 1980 Z28.
Pickins' were petty slim.
Of course other than the Viper, Corvette, Chrysler SRT8, there's not many current american cars that really interest me. I wish they'd get it right!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

73chgrSE

Some Darts and Demons from mid seventies were cool, and fast.

hemihead

I liked just about everything Mopar made then( yes , even the 4th Gen Charger).I don't think personally that the Z28 and T/A were all that great looking.The Mustang II looked better.Hell, even the Granada looked better.Oh, don't forget that Chrysler offered the dodge Colt and Plymouth Arrow.They were made by Mitsubishi but not many people bought them.Why? people saw Dodge and Plymouth on them and thought they weren't " built as good as the Imports ".So much for that theory. The myth about quality still has everyone brainwashed.
  Led Zeppelin

Orange_Crush

Quote from: hemihead on June 07, 2006, 09:31:22 AM
I liked just about everything Mopar made then( yes , even the 4th Gen Charger).I don't think personally that the Z28 and T/A were all that great looking.The Mustang II looked better.Hell, even the Granada looked better.Oh, don't forget that Chrysler offered the dodge Colt and Plymouth Arrow.They were made by Mitsubishi but not many people bought them.Why? people saw Dodge and Plymouth on them and thought they weren't " built as good as the Imports ".So much for that theory. The myth about quality still has everyone brainwashed.

The myth about quality does have its roots in reality though.

The aforementioned Pinto and Vega are PERFECT examples (as well as the Chevette).  And let us NOT forget Chrysler's F-bodies, The Ford Granada (one of which my uncle threatened to drive through a dealership window because it was such a piece of crap), the Chevrolet...well...hell any of em...they all sucked.

The Colts actually sold pretty ell once they added the little "by Mitsubishi" badge to them.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

nh_mopar_fan

When was the last time you saw a Japanese import made in the mid-late 70s?

Most of them were long done less than 10 years later.

Apparently, rust wasn't considered a "quality" issue.

Brock Samson

What appened in the mid-'70s?..

well,..
It started some years before, when the book unsafe at any speed came out, penned by a guy who had been tailed by G.M.s' spooks...
See, the corvair was one of a bunch of an american small cars,..
falcon, corvair, lancer/dart,.. metropolitan, lark,.. 
there were several horrible spectacular automobile race accidents plain in the public view...but they wasn't enuff by themselves, it took a new Department of the U.S. Federal goverment called D.O.T. perhaps you've heard of them?.. to publish death and accident stats. after every national hoilday...
There was a growning concern by concerned folk, mostly folk singers and comedians who felt the automobile was technological progress out of control.
In any case,.. what started with seatbelts and padded dashes led to ignition interlocks and bumper standards,.. a tale which basicly wags the dog even today as can be seen in a particular four-door sedan today...

:horse:

Then there is this Orginaization known as OPEC... about 1972 they werre formed and drove up the price of gasoline using supply and demand manipulations.

So, what is the definition of progress any way?..