News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Engine Noise

Started by shawnmd, June 04, 2006, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

I have a 70 Superbee with original 383 4 speed.  I just bought it and noticed that the engine just doesn't seem to have the power it should.  It turned out to be a cracked distributer cap and two cylinders misfiring.  I replaced the cylinder cap, and the two cylinders started firing again. But one cylinder starts making a huge clunking noise on its power stroke. Pull that plug wire and the sound goes away.  We checked the valve springs and they don't seem to be broken.  He seems to think it might be the piston pin worn out or something.  Its on the 3rd cylinder from front on drivers side.  Any ideas????????

dodge freak

That engine needs to be pulled, its either a spun rod bearing or something damage on the piston, like a loose pin. Thats the 5 & 7 cylinders and when they cross fire its bad news. Not sure why something about how close they fire, lots of motors are like that. You could just pull the head off and drop the oil pan to get the piston out of there if the motor is not to worn, but if it is a spun bearing the crank has to come out. I would pull the motor, sorry but stuff happens sometimes.

shawnmd

OK, it gets weirder, if thats a word. He checked the compression tonight and everything checks out. Then he started it with all cylinders firing. No noise!!! Good oil pressure. He is starting to think maybe because that cylinder wasn't firing, gas had completely washed it out, no oil..... Now after running and letting the oil warm up it is getting lubed again...who knows???  He is going to change the oil and put in some good synthetic and try that.

cicero charger

you should have changed the oil when you got the car.  Now heres a tip add some marvels mystery oil to the regular motor oil.
  It will help get those stickey parts working again.  I had a problem because i didn't run the engine under power for a full year or two.
    Some sea foam in the gas tank and some run thru the carb sure does wonders for engine performance.  It helped my car a lot.
   pretty simple suff to use too.