News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukesfest pics/jump clip

Started by runningman, June 05, 2006, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warriorbass05

Quote from: runningman on June 06, 2006, 04:55:23 PM
warriorbass did you get the clips I emailed?  I had to resend them one at a time, too big to send em both together

Got them, thanks dude!!!

runningman

Darkness

I'm hoping that's a HPLAG car they used for the jump.  :'(

warriorbass05

Quote from: Darkness on June 07, 2006, 01:27:48 AM

No, it was a charger that Tom Sarmento and the stunt team put together. Check here for more info www.hazzardcountystuntteam.com
for more on the cars...

mikepmcs

Quote from: warriorbass05 on June 07, 2006, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: Darkness on June 07, 2006, 01:27:48 AM

No, it was a charger that Tom Sarmento and the stunt team put together. Check here for more info www.hazzardcountystuntteam.com
for more on the cars...

WB05, that site doesn't sat anything about the cars at all, just selling a bunch of stuff and a couple bio's, you got another site, or maybe mikeDC will chime in as well on this.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

warriorbass05

Sorry, I had a moment. I have a DVD that shows the making of the cars for LAST year's jumps. My bad...It is from that site, the DVD is called Dukesfest 2005....

mikepmcs

thanks, i'll check with jim shine, he's very knowledgeable as well. 
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mike DC

The stunt crew typically finds & builds all their own cars for these shows.  
(Even if it means delivering a slammed-together Charger buildup on just a few weeks' notice, which is frequently what happens.)

But even when the stunt crew doesn't supply the Charger themselves, they still have to wrench on it for several weeks beforehand anyway.  So no matter whose it was when it started, the car tends to be largely one of their projects by the time it's ready to fly.  They gut interiors, re-do suspensions, they sometimes swap out decent plastic grilles & body panels for crappier ones, etc.

mikepmcs

What about all the interior parts/seats/trim and such?  Do you know what happens to that stuff, like they could easily remove outside trim too and noone would really notice.  It sounds like you know these guys Mike, so that's why i'm asking.

v/r
Mike

wLc

In the depths of a mind insane
Fantasy and reality are the same

Mike DC

Yeah, a lot of the parts that get gutted will end up on other people's cars.  The stunt crew likes to let their friends supply raggedy plastic grilles, dashboards, etc whenever a "jumper" car has anything nicer they could swap out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know for a fact that last year's Dukesfest car had a decent '69 grille that was swapped out beforehand.  It jumped with a raggedy cracked-up '68 grille wearing a homemade center divider in the middle.  Lots of duct tape & zip ties on the jumper grilles.

I think this year was the first year any of the cars jumped with an actual Charger front bucket seat.  It's more often a donor seat from some other junkyard car that's been spray painted tan.  (The major jump harnesses they wear make the seat padding mostly irrelevant in terms of safety.)

The interiors are never more than a spray-painted dashbard frame & a steering column (and the MTV car last summer didn't even have a dashboard frame at all).  No window glass, floor shifters, instruments, etc.

The chrome trim (especially the rare stuff like the vinyl top trim & the rear window pieces) are more often phony than real too.  They use lots of generic rubber-backed chrome trim rolls from body shop supply stores, and sometimes literally just strips of chrome tape.

mikepmcs

warriorbass05

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 07, 2006, 06:09:18 PM

Yeah, a lot of the parts that get gutted will end up on other people's cars.  The stunt crew likes to let their friends supply raggedy plastic grilles, dashboards, etc whenever a "jumper" car has anything nicer they could swap out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know for a fact that last year's Dukesfest car had a decent '69 grille that was swapped out beforehand.  It jumped with a raggedy cracked-up '68 grille wearing a homemade center divider in the middle.  Lots of duct tape & zip ties on the jumper grilles.

I think this year was the first year any of the cars jumped with an actual Charger front bucket seat.  It's more often a donor seat from some other junkyard car that's been spray painted tan.  (The major jump harnesses they wear make the seat padding mostly irrelevant in terms of safety.)

The interiors are never more than a spray-painted dashbard frame & a steering column (and the MTV car last summer didn't even have a dashboard frame at all).  No window glass, floor shifters, instruments, etc.

The chrome trim (especially the rare stuff like the vinyl top trim & the rear window pieces) are more often phony than real too.  They use lots of generic rubber-backed chrome trim rolls from body shop supply stores, and sometimes literally just strips of chrome tape.

There was a pieced together car that was used as a videogame that people were sitting in taking pics of outside the stunt team area and it had chrome tape all over it...as can be seen in this pic with my son...

Wakko

Warrior, the pic with your son is of the MTV Jump car that was slapped back together for the "simulator". 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

warriorbass05

Quote from: Wakko on June 08, 2006, 02:52:26 PM
Warrior, the pic with your son is of the MTV Jump car that was slapped back together for the "simulator". 

Dude, thanks for clarifying, I had no idea...I did not get to see that jump....so this car went 133 feet? Is this the right jump that I am thinking of? Someone had crawled under that car to see underneath and said that it was a mess. Does anyone have any pics of that jump? I think I have one....

Mike DC

You can see the faked chromed rocker panels on the lower edges of the car. 

They were put there just on this particular car to simulate the original car from 1978. 
With this jump, MTV was imitating the GL's original first jump that they shot during the pilot episode.  This car was the only time a GL had factory chrome rocker panels.  (Well, at least this was the only time a set of chrome rockers didn't get removed or sprayed orange.)

--------------------------------------------

The car lost its brakes on impact with the ground.  The driver pointed it into the side of a Jeep Cherokee to bring it to a stop (it hit HARD and totalled the Jeep).  I was told that the crew put another whole front clip onto the car for displaying it. 

And I'm not sure, but it looked like they must have also redone some of the bodywork on rear half of the car too.  The quarter panels didn't look as buckled this weekend as they originally did right after the jump last year.     

mikepmcs

those boys have some big cajones to do that stuff. :bow:
although i hate to see em wrecked...... had to throw that in there.
v/r
Mike

warriorbass05

Can you imagine having this as your day job? How much fun could THAT be??? :icon_smile_evil:

JimShine

Imagine what it was like 'back in the day'. Show up to work, see 14-20 Chargers parked together. Grab a big block car to warm up. If ya crash it, get a little crap from the boss, not the end of the world.

warriorbass05

Quote from: JimShine on June 09, 2006, 12:08:48 PM
Imagine what it was like 'back in the day'. Show up to work, see 14-20 Chargers parked together. Grab a big block car to warm up. If ya crash it, get a little crap from the boss, not the end of the world.

And chances are, all of those Generals are long gone.... :'(