News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukesfest pics/jump clip

Started by runningman, June 05, 2006, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Went to dukesfest for the first time, it was actually pretty cool seeing all the chargers out there.  The paper said there were 120 of them, pretty sweet seeing them go around the racetrack.  I have some pics and also a small video clip of the General jump.  I have to admit it was pretty freakin cool seeing that car get jumped, we were quick to head out after to catch our plane but I thought I heard Ben Jones (cooter) say that it was a record jump from asphalt to asphalt............202 feet.  If anyone wants to see it email me and I will send it to you.  Matt    bsanders@ameritech.net

BrianShaughnessy

If it's 25M or less just try www.putfile.com -  it's frrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I took this yesterday of my friend George's 572 Road Runner.    Click this:    http://media.putfile.com/Georges-burnout-
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

runningman

Nice clip, I am going to create an account......

runningman

okay try this, also put a couple of pics from coyote ugly up

http://www.putfile.com/runningman

runningman

There was an article in the Tenn paper on Sunday, dukesfest was going to be largest event ever held at the fairgrounds.  Preliminary estimates were at 75,000 for the weekend but they said it would probably go over 100,000 by the end of the day.   

wLc

In the depths of a mind insane
Fantasy and reality are the same

warriorbass05

I was there. I was looking from the stands and only managed to get a picture of the General in the air...it was a REALLY cool jump.

terrible one

I think that's the first jump I've ever seen where he landed and kept rolling straight. Pretty flat landing.

warriorbass05

Actually, the jump from 2004 was 193ft and the car rolled to a stop down the field at Bristol. Just FYI :)

SeattleCharger

What a total POS "imitation" General Lee,  come on, the real General never got smashed up like that and the front wheels and axles didn't get all destroyed like that.    :rotz:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mikepmcs

My curiosity finally got the best of me and i watched it.  :'( Still sad to see another charger get demolished.

That dude was hauling some serious butt though.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

warriorbass05

here is a picture of the car before it was jumped...if you watch the first couple of seasons of Dukes carefully, you will see what happened to the actual jump cars....try season 2 "Dukes Meet Cale Yarborough" and watch the jump towards the end...

warriorbass05

notice how far the front end was cranked up -AND- there was 450lbs of weight in the back of the car as well. I looked at this car pretty closely. There were '68 front fenders on it and the majority of it had been gutted for the stunt.

JimShine

Quote from: warriorbass05 on June 06, 2006, 02:19:50 PM
notice how far the front end was cranked up

Yeah, looks like my cars current setup

warriorbass05

my kids came running when I pulled up those videos...the ones on putfile were shot really close to where we were sitting. It is like reliving that and even my wife had to come and watch them!!!
Nice General jimshine!!! Crankin up those torsion bars huh?
Bet it's fast...

JimShine

Yeah, my wheel and tire profile combo was too big in the front. When the wheel was cut hard to the right, it would grab the lip of the fender. It is cranked until I fix it. Mikepmcs gave me rims I am going to use on the front that are 7 inches wide versus 8.5. I am also dropping down to 60 on the profile. Between the two my front end should have all the clearance it needs and I can drop it back down.

warriorbass05

Sounds good bro, are you going to drive it to Covington come November? :icon_smile_cool:

JimShine

No, I wont be bringing it. But I most likely will be there anyway.

warriorbass05

This was one of my favorite cars.....I love rocker trim..... :yesnod: That's me in the Charger...

runningman

Too bad some of us couldn't have met up down there.  We really need some t-shirts or hats or something........

runningman

warriorbass did you get the clips I emailed?  I had to resend them one at a time, too big to send em both together

Mike DC

QuoteThat dude was hauling some serious butt though.

I've seen a bunch of these guys' stunts in the last few years and I've never seen Corey go barreling into a ramp as hard as he did on Sunday.  He mashed the throttle wide open when he was rounding the fourth turn and then didn't let back off the gas until the car was in the air.  I suspect it was 85-95 mph or so (given this jump distance compared to previous GL speeds & flights).

QuoteWhen the wheel was cut hard to the right, it would grab the lip of the fender

Take a good look at the front fenders on this weekend's jump car.  The front lower corners of the wheelwells were cut this time to make sure they didn't rub like that with the front end jacked up so high.

JimShine

Wow Mike, I didn't even catch that! Pretty obvious now that I see it. Looks like they trimmed back quite a bit from that corner.

Mike DC

Yeah, they're doing more to those jump cars all the time.  It's always basically been a stock Dodge Charger with a rollcage & some trunk ballast, but the list of little modifications is still growing.  A jumper GL is become more & more of a unique creation that's separate from a typical 2nd-unit driver.

Notice that the center vertical bar across the windshield opening is always present in recent years.  And the main hoop (just behind the driver) is a "doubled" pair of tubes every time now.  And there are smaller vertical tubes added behind the vent window frames now.  And the vent windows/frames themselves have disappeared on the last three cars they've built . . .

SeattleCharger

Anyone catch the show on the country music channel about the making of the Dukes?  Had a bunch in there about the stunt coordinator that designed all the jump sequences in the show.    Had a lot of video of the actual landings of the jumps, not the edited in landing you saw on tv, very cool.   Ya, funny how in real life the car doesn't land in perfect condition, heh. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.