News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter Driving & Rust proofing

Started by GoManGo, October 04, 2006, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoManGo

Hello,
Just bought a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona.  What a nice car!!!  Questions.  I'm planning on driving it this winter.  Anyone have comments on handling.  I'm planning on putting some good winter tires & rims.  Also, about rust proofing.  Talked to my Chrysler dealership and they can put some electronic module for the rust proofing.  Anyone heard of this?

Thanks.

Troy

I certainly hope it doesn't rust in the first winter! Any way, that electronic device you're talking about is a pretty cool idea. The ones I am familar with basically keep a small current running through the car at all times along with a "sacrificial anode" to prevent the normal metal corrosion process from forming. It is used widely in ships and other vehicles exposed to salt water but I know very few people with it on a car at this time. The cost isn't bad at all and I'm in the process of evaluating this one http://www.ruststoponline.com/.

As for the handling, I wouldn't know. (Perhaps a mini tour of the site would be in order?) Which part of the country are you in?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GoManGo

Thanks for the information Troy.

I live in Ontario, Canada  (north of Toronto).

Silver R/T

interesting device, haven't heard about it. As far as handling in snow...isnt it RWD, good luck with that. We wouldnt know much about 06 as this is Charger site for 66-74.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

GoManGo

yes it is RWD but it has traction control.

Does anyone know of a forum for the newer chargers?

Blusmbl

If you put decent snow tires on it, like Blizzaks, it'll be fine in the nasty weather.  The tires are key, traction control alone won't help much on the summer performance tires.

I spent the better part of last winter driving around 500hp Mustangs in Michigan on snow tires, and didn't have any issues at all including in several major snowstorms.  The tires made all the difference in the world!
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

derailed

That is the first ive heard of electronic rust proofing. Looks like a really good concept and would be nice to have in upstate NY. I checked out the system you linked Troy, how much does it cost?

Back N Black

I have a couple of friends who purchased new cars and had it installed,all the dealers are pushing it now.Its guaranteed no rust for at least 10 years. Canadian tire Selle's the unit for $250.00 Cdn funds.
I'm planning on one for my charger when its complete.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

grouseman

You Ontario guys will really benefit from the electronic anode system.  Your roads are usually wet and salty in winter, right?  Perfect conditions for that system to work at it's best, as you've got a wet solution touching all your metal. 

Yes, snow tires make an unbelievable difference.  All four of course.  Good snow/ice tires & traction control make 4wd almost unnecessary.  4wd really just gets you stuck deeper. 

dodgecharger-fan

4WD makes dum-dums think they are invincible so they drive faster - not thinking about what will happen when they have to try and stop in slippery conditions.  :P

Good snow tires will do it for you, GoManGo. However, think about how often you'll be actually out in a snowstorm.
I put snows on my car last year and they really were truly needed only once.
Sure, you never know when the snow is going to hit, but I just found that there were less times than I expected where I actually needed them.
I'm in Ontario, too.

As for the electronic rust-proofing, I'd heard of it years ago and it seemed at the time to have a "snake oil" image to it - it seemed that it was mostly unproven technology at the time. I decided to wait. It seems now that it's a more proven solution and well accepted. I'll definitely look into adding it to my cars.

41husk

I would be interested in electronic rust proofing on my daily driven vehicles my Chargers really dont see much weather so it would not be cost effective.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

andy74

i wouldnt waste the money, all new cars are built with galvanized metal-shouldnt rust for a long time,and you will be cash ahead

BigBlockSam

hey thats interesting. that might help me since my cars aren't garage kept. i couldn't find a price.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Silver R/T

you should just get winter beater, so you dont ruin your "06 Investment". What is it, around 40K
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

41husk

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 05, 2006, 08:50:16 PM
you should just get winter beater, so you dont ruin your "06 Investment". What is it, around 40K
:iagree:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RIDELIKEHELL

AHHHH! Finally something I can ad my 2 cents on :icon_smile_big:

I have an 05 Magnum R/T & its great in the snow & have Dunlop Winter Tires M2's on the OPP style wheels.

You can get the rims from EASTWAY Chrysler in T.O. & the center caps as well as the lugs neede to hold on the Caps for the best price in Ontario. I bought my rims & tires at a local tire shop for much more last fall :icon_smile_blackeye:

Contact Adam at Eastway..tell him Ridelikehell sent You :icon_smile_approve:(Marc) from Sarnia

Here's his e-mail..not sure if he has the tires but offers a comparable tire at a great price!

adamc@eastwaychrysler.ca

As for Rust Proofing I went to KROWN in town when I bought the Magnum!

I also post of LXforums.com

Cheers
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

GoManGo

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Ridelikehell - Got a quote earlier this week for a set of 4 Dunlop SJ8 winter tires with rims.  I assume they're great tires!

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: GoManGo on October 06, 2006, 08:10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Ridelikehell - Got a quote earlier this week for a set of 4 Dunlop SJ8 winter tires with rims.  I assume they're great tires!

just curious how much $ :'(

Wanna run that Charger...Just Kidding! Enjoy it!
AMD POSTER BOY

GoManGo

$1600.00 including Rims, installed,Tax in

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: GoManGo on October 06, 2006, 08:16:53 AM
$1600.00 including Rims, installed,Tax in

I pain just a smidge over $1700 with TAXES...no so bad I guess thx
AMD POSTER BOY