News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Automatic racheting shifters...

Started by Lightning, July 01, 2006, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

Hi all, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep my car an automatic once I get my hands on a 400 motor,  but I'm not really sure on what shifter I wanna get.  The tranny's gonna have a manual valve body, it's not gonna have very many street miles on it.

my one stipulation is that I'm gonna need it so I can upshift/downshift without having to hit a trigger mechanism except for neutral, reverse, and park.  Does anybody make a shifter that does this? (Hurst or B&M?)
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Ghoste

Yes, both but you have to get into their more expensive models to do this.  I can't think of the models that to do this off the top of my head (of course) but I know they are out there.

73chargercali

B&M mega shifter is their most popular shifter and it ratchets from 1st to nuetral by just pushing it then you pull the lock to get to reverse and park. i have one and love it but it takes about a week to get the thing down good so your not looking at it trying to see what gear your in. it costs about $150-170, and it was fairly easy to instal. good luck on your project.

TylerCharger69

I have a B&M ratchet shifter  and it comes equipped with a reverse lockout  so   it wont accidentally go into reverse.  It won't downshift either unless you pull the lock up and downshift that way.

Mefirst

I run a Hurst V-Matic ratchet shifter in my ride custom fitted into the stock console...

/Tom

Lightning

so i guess it's mostly personal preference then?

mikepmcs

i run the b&m mega shifter as well and you slap(literally) it in to 2 and 1st and back to drive and it will go to neutral as well.  but it will not go in to reverse by accident.  you only pull the trigger to go back to park or from park to reverse, drive etc...

Funny i took my ex GF for a ride today in "The General"  and she asked all about the shifter cause I was dorking around shifting back and forth.

Great inexpensive good quality shifter, just make sure you follow the directionis cause the PO did not and I had to redo the whole thing.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TylerCharger69

Yes...It's personal preference.   My General Lee sports the mega shifter as well....Tore the console out....who needs it???  Just a hinderance to me.   I like the way the interior looks with just the shifter itself.   Really cleans it up...But....another of my personal preferences

Rolling_Thunder

basically you need any "ratchet actioning" shifter...     B&M makes some - pick them up at any local parts store
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

Except that he wants to move up or down without hitting a trigger and some only ratchet forward.

mikepmcs

b/m megashifter goes both ways.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Lightning

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 07, 2006, 10:48:34 AM
v/r
Mike

ok, would it be better if I went with the regular megashifter or the truck-base megashifter since the floor's a little bit low in my car?

deputycrawford

A gentleman explained to me at the Charger show that you can somehow cut up the interior mechanism of the Chrysler slap shifters from the E body stuff and put it in a B body. He did his in his original cosole and it works perfect. I wish I knew exactly what he did. If somebody figures it out let me know. I want to keep my console looking perfectly stock but I want the ratcheting action.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Mefirst

Quote from: deputycrawford on July 10, 2006, 07:14:19 PM
I want to keep my console looking perfectly stock but I want the ratcheting action.

What about this? Took me the better of two days to get done, but I think it looks sweet...

/Tom

hard-charger

does the b&m quicksilver work both way? i got a manuel valve body in my car now too. & i to am in the market, but dont know anybody who has one, so mabey sombody knows? :scratchchin: :mrt:

Lightning

Quote from: Mefirst on July 11, 2006, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: deputycrawford on July 10, 2006, 07:14:19 PM
I want to keep my console looking perfectly stock but I want the ratcheting action.

What about this? Took me the better of two days to get done, but I think it looks sweet...

/Tom

that's nice! I like it!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 07, 2006, 10:48:34 AM
v/r
Mike

like some of the girls i know       :METAL:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip