News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whitch intake to street 440

Started by greenrt_se, June 01, 2006, 12:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenrt_se

Hi,it seems at edelbrock rpm intake is too high for 69 Charger hood (yes I all read have drob base cleaner) so whit dual plane intake
is good whit demon 750 mechanical carb,84cc edelbrock head,hp exhaust  ::)

firefighter3931

If it's not fitting then you've got the wrong drop base aircleaner assembly.  :P What you need is an aircleaner with a 1.25in drop base, preferably with a flow thru top if your carb has an airhorn (choke). If you use a solid lid, the horn will be too close to the lid and restrict airflow into the carb....and hurt performance.  :yesnod:

Here's a link to the K&N filter assembly i'm talking about. It clears fine in a second gen charger with a 440 + performer RPM intake manifold.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KNN%2D66%2D3040&N=4294925239+4294839057+4294920599+400171+4294904152+4294904151+4294791516+4294904136+4294815142+4294790850+115&autoview=sku

If you're in the mood for a new manifold, the holley street dominator is lower by about 1in and works very well with your type of build. It's a single plane, however.

Replacing the aircleaner would be cheaper and you won't have to tear into the engine. There's not much to be had in terms of performance by swapping out the manifold....both will be very close in performance. The rpm will be stronger on the bottom end power and the street dominator will be stronger on the top end.

Personally, i'd keep the rpm intake and just fit the right air cleaner assembly to clear the hood.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenrt_se

I all ready have a drop base,and just yesterday I get K&N filter top plate,so now I only need K&N 14" round  3" filter

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

firefighter3931

Quote from: greenrt_se on June 02, 2006, 01:04:11 AM
I all ready have a drop base,and just yesterday I get K&N filter top plate,so now I only need K&N 14" round  3" filter

Quick question ; how tall is the element that you're using on the car ? 4in ? 5in ?

A 3in element will clear as long as you've got a 1.25in drop base assembly. I've recommended this to many members who are now using the K&N assembly with success (68-70 charger). It even fits in E-bodies with a bulge hood.

Make sure your base has a 1.25in drop. K&N also sells a 1.25in drop 14x3 assembly with a solid lid. You could just get that one and use your flow thru top. This is assuming that yours isn't a 1.25in drop base, of course.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

greenrt_se

the element is 3in(just order new whitch fit whit K&N top plate (bigger inside diameter) here is picture from drop base.
2inch element is wayy too low,the top plate will hit to the carb bowl ventilation pipes

deputycrawford

Hey, that's a cool looking color. My 69 is that color too. I have an easy fix. Get another carb.    I didn't say it was a cheap fix. :P    Really though. I have the same drop base on my Demon. I run the K&N 2 inch tall filter and the top too. My secret is I got rid of the choke horn all together. I run the mighty Demon 750 Mechanical everything. Choke, I don't need no stinking choke. I have never missed my choke and I get to keep my stock hood on the car. Most of these cars only see the nice days and the warm weather. Although, I have taken it out on 40 degree days and run it at the track on those days. You would be surprised. The choke thing is not needed on these cars. I will probably never run one again on anything I build. Just my 2 cents.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Rolling_Thunder

i run a 750 edelbrock carb with a 1.25" drop base..    weiand action + intake and a 1" spacer under air cleaner...     room to spare
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

you lose a little power under 2500 rpm or so after that it is all gain

Silver R/T

thats what I noticed, since I could peel my 295's with my old intake on and with SD it hardly does that now. But top end power increased or so it feels like.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

4402tuff4u

I'm not sure Holley Street Dominator is made or available any longer. When I was looking to buy one, I could'nt find one and had to go with a Weiand manifold. If you do go with a Weiand, you might have to shave off the heat cross-over chamber at the base of the manifold. I had to with INDY EZ heads. The FelPro tin valley pan does not work with the INDY's. I also had a height problem cause the INDY's pushed everything up at least 1/2" - 3/4" . I used a Proform drop base and had to modify the base to support the 17" dia. calif double snorkel air cleaner.

One thought is that if you need to gain 1/2", you might be able to shave that off the drop base rim that sits on the carburator itself. Just watch that you don't bring the top of the air cleaner to close to the carbs top and restrict the airflow. I'm new at this and just went through a similar problem.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Chryco Psycho

the RB 440 Street Dom is still availble & reasonably priced part # 300 -14
the B 383/400 intake is out of production unfortunatly

greenrt_se

ok now the K&N top plate is in place,seem fit under the hood,I send picture later today

Wakko

I have the RPM with a Holley and 3" Air cleaner with drop base and it seems to fit just fine.  Is the carburetor the reason yours is higher?  Perhaps I should get the air cleaner top as well.

And RollingThunder, I absolutely love seeing the sig of your car...it's such a beautiful color and a sleek looking and simple car.  Awesome! :yesnod:
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

greenrt_se

ok here whit drop base and K&N filter

firefighter3931

That looks better  :yesnod:

The hood pad should probably go because it will restrict air flow into the filter top....sort of defeats the purpose.  ;)

Ron

70daytonaclone

what kind of intake it that GREENR/T_SE ?

deputycrawford

I belive that is an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. I have the very same one and love it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

greenrt_se

yes,edelbrock rpm,whit 750 mechanical Demon carb

deputycrawford

I also have the 750 Mighty Demon.

firefighter3931

Quote from: greenrt_se on July 03, 2006, 09:24:39 AM
yes,edelbrock rpm,whit 750 mechanical Demon carb

Any updates ? How's the car running ?

Ron

greenrt_se

pretty good,just check timing(36deg, whit 21 deg bushing in distributor) jets are 71 primary and 76 secondary,power valve is 10,5
air/fuel looks good in FMI gauge

firefighter3931

Quote from: greenrt_se on July 03, 2006, 01:30:16 PM
pretty good,just check timing(36deg, whit 21 deg bushing in distributor) jets are 71 primary and 76 secondary,power valve is 10,5
air/fuel looks good in FMI gauge

Good work !   :2thumbs:

Ron

deputycrawford

Greenrt SE, what cam do you have. I use the 18 degree bushing and run mine at 36 degrees total. Ask Firefighter but you might want to try 36 with the 18 degree bushing. It might have more idle vacum and idle smoother. Just my two cents though. I'm glad to hear you have it running great.

dodge freak

Hey Deputy-get your motor back together yet ?  Hope things work out ok.

greenrt_se

thanks depudy,I think to try 18 deg bushing, tomorrow I drive to the Sweden and maybe there I chance the bushing,in some morning...

greenrt_se

and the cam is 223/228 0,050 hughes hydraulic

deputycrawford

Nope, motor not together yet. I expect it in two weeks though. Green, You mmight have the perfect combo already. Just check your vacum at idle. It should be around 15 inches or so. I thought you had a bigger cam that needed more idle timing. I would go so far to say to leave it alone. Thanks for the return of the info.

greenrt_se

vaacum in idle is little bit over 14"

deputycrawford

I say not bad for a built 440. Just drive that thing and tell me to stop butting in...lol :icon_smile_big:

darkside

greenrt se do you have any pics of your linkage set up with the demon and rpm?thanks

greenrt_se

darkside

thanks,were did you get the linkage set up?

andyf

Mancini Racing, Mopar Peformance, MagnumHP, Bob Mazzolini Racing, Mayo Performance, etc.  They all carry those tall adjustable throttle linkage kits.