News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Metal Glue Out There - Anyone Know?

Started by 4402tuff4u, May 31, 2006, 06:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

After further research I found that studs that are suppose to hold my center speaker on the dashboard on my 68 Charger are not there - missing.  ??? I can't even see signs of them ever being there. Any how looking to install new studs without welding. The dashboard has been stripped and painted already. All wiring is in and instrument cluster too, so I'm wondering if there is a glue out there that will secure these studs to the under dash surface and hold the weight of two small 3.5" dia. speakers. I was wondering if the glue used for the fender panels would do the trick and what is the name brand? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

hotrod98

There are 2 part metal bonding adhesives out there, but I really don't think that there would be enough surface area to really hold a lot of weight. Your best bet might be to buy some JB Weld and try it. Just make sure that the the area where you're applying it is rust free and clean. Use lacquer thinner to clean the surfaces and if there's room extend the JB Weld out a little ways to add strength. Good luck

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

4402tuff4u

What I would do is mig weld a stud to a piece of 22 gauge tin metal about 1" x 1" and glue that to the underside of the dashboard, but I think I dont have to do that now. I have another post on the interior section about these studs supporting the speaker and looks like the studs go through a hole by the vents on both sides of the speaker. My problem might be solved already. Thanks for the feedback! :thumbs:

purple70rt

They are under the vents, I believe, this may help.

4402tuff4u

Awesome picture purple70R/T! I see it now! No glue needed :icon_smile_big: I did find two studs the other night in a unmarked bag with the stuff that came with the Charger, with flat heads and clips that fit in the center holes on the vent openings where the speaker frame gets secured. Thanks for the help!!