News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a kickdown issue?

Started by Dino, August 27, 2024, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I finally have the Charger on the road again, first time in 9 years, but it's all still in the testing stages. I installed the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4, and although it needs some more tweaking everything seems to work well. BUT, something's wrong and it may be the trans AND I may have damaged it. I installed a Bouchillon kickdown cable and I think I did everything right, but it doesn't seem to downshift. First time I took it out, it had no gusto at all. Putting it in neutral is revs fine, put it in drive and you have to floor it just to get it moving. I turned around and checked the trans fluid and it was so low it barely registered on the dipstick. I remember filling up the trans, but it wasn't running at the time so I never checked the level in neutral. So dumb.

Once I'm up to 2500-3000 rpm it runs pretty decent. I haven't punched it, and I don't think it would roast the tires, but at least I can keep it up to speed. Slow down for a turn and the people behind me may wonder why I'm accelerating like a Vespa. Shift in neutral and it revs fine, drop it in drive and it's a slug again.

Obviously first order is checking kickdown, but if that doesn't solve it, what's next?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

marshallfry01

Is it actually starting out in 1st gear like it's supposed to? Do you for sure have all 3 forward gears? From your description it sounds like it may be lugging around in 2nd from a dead stop.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Kern Dog

Finally, a topic where knucklehead could shed some light and he is M.I.A.
I've driven cars without functioning throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage and it was still operational. It shifted early, it shifted soft and did not downshift but it engaged the gears.
One time I had a Bouchillon cable and the tab came loose in traffic. It started feeling weird for no apparent reason so I pulled over and popped the hood to see where the problem was.
Once when I did a cam swap right after a transmission swap, the car felt like it was starting in second gear with a 5000 stall converter. The fluid level was way too high but it turned out that the trans was fragged and the pump was not working right.
I hope that this isn't the case with you.

b5blue

I had a hell of a time just getting that linkage right after swapping to a 4BBL and thought about swapping to that kit.Play with the range a bit. (Not all the way back on the 727's lever, but up some.)  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Karen Dog on August 28, 2024, 01:59:10 AMFinally, a topic where knucklehead could shed some light and he is M.I.A.

Not MIA, just don't spend all day here like some.  :nana:

If you suspect the trans isn't downshifting at a stop as evidenced by sluggish acceleration, take off in Drive at light throttle and manually downshift to 2nd or 1st. If the trans downshifts to the gear selected, it is taking off in a higher gear.

Best advice when TP linkage or cable are in doubt, temporarily disconnect it at the trans lever and push the lever full forward...if there's no change in the operation, it's not the cable.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Awesome. Thanks guys! I won't have time to check it out until Saturday but I'll keep you posted.

Dino

Dang cable was off the transmission lever! Transmission is now working as it should. Sweet relief!

Car still runs like crap but that's a different story.  :lol:

70 sublime

Simple fix is always best fix :)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Alright I take that back   :lol:
The cable is in place, but the car accelerates like a VW Rabbit. I cannot get the tires to spin except in reverse! Bouchillon cable has 1-1/16" travel from idle to WOT, and the trans lever is all the way back at WOT. Am I missing something or did I break this thing?

b5blue

How is it when you put in 1st to start and shift manually?  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on September 03, 2024, 08:15:24 PMAlright I take that back   :lol:
The cable is in place, but the car accelerates like a VW Rabbit. I cannot get the tires to spin except in reverse! Bouchillon cable has 1-1/16" travel from idle to WOT, and the trans lever is all the way back at WOT. Am I missing something or did I break this thing?

I was surprised when you said re-installing the cable fixed your problems. With the cable disconnected, it should upshift real early and downshift at a stop. Not sure if the Bouchillon cable setup is compatible with the Pro Flow throttle lever but your cable travel is way too short.

Measure the travel of the throttle lever from idle to WOT where you're attaching the cable and compare that to the travel of the trans lever...they should be NEAR the same and the trans lever does not have to be full back at WOT. Do whatever it takes to match the travel and be sure the spring is pulling the lever full forward at idle.

Dino

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 04, 2024, 11:53:30 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 03, 2024, 08:15:24 PMAlright I take that back  :lol:

I was surprised when you said re-installing the cable fixed your problems. With the cable disconnected, it should upshift real early and downshift at a stop. Not sure if the Bouchillon cable setup is compatible with the Pro Flow throttle lever but your cable travel is way too short.

Measure the travel of the throttle lever from idle to WOT where you're attaching the cable and compare that to the travel of the trans lever...they should be NEAR the same and the trans lever does not have to be full back at WOT. Do whatever it takes to match the travel and be sure the spring is pulling the lever full forward at idle.

When I was assembling this I spoke with Randy B. and he told me which brackets to try from his experience with the Pro Flo. Everything came together like he said.
According to the instructions travel should be between 1-1/8" and 1-1/4". I measured it a bit more precise just now. I have 32 mm travel at the throttle body, and 33 mm at the trans. That's a little more than spec. Could that small difference make such an impact? Is the travel fine but is this an issue with where travel begins and ends? You're the transmission expert so I'll try whatever you say.
Honestly the trans shifts totally fine and smooth as ever, but it feels like there too little pressure or something. I remember when I used to floor this from a standstill it would rev up fast, and now it's like starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. (It's not, I checked)

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on September 04, 2024, 09:27:35 AMHow is it when you put in 1st to start and shift manually?  :scratchchin:

Same. Like taking off in an old truck.

Dino

Tomorrow I will try to make some videos so you can see and hear how it runs.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on September 04, 2024, 08:01:39 PMAccording to the instructions travel should be between 1-1/8" and 1-1/4". I measured it a bit more precise just now. I have 32 mm travel at the throttle body, and 33 mm at the trans. That's a little more than spec. Could that small difference make such an impact?

No. After reading the instructions, it appears you're OK but I still differ from the instructions in all cable kits that specify the trans lever be full back at WOT. The factory linkage, when stock and properly adjusted, will leave 1/8"-1/4" of travel at WOT...this might not seem like much difference but, with certain governor configurations, it makes for late shifts and maybe no upshift at at WOT. BTDT

To verify what's been said, when you take off in manual 1st and manually upshift, it has all three gears? When you say "it doesn't seem to downshift" do you mean kickdown at WOT or doesn't downshift when coming to a stop? Does the engine idle OK in gear or seem to have an excessive rpm drop when placed in gear?

I'm thinking you might have a failed sprag in the torque converter...this would result in a reduction in stall speed.  :shruggy:

Dino

I'll try to set the cable so the lever has some play.

The trans didn't kickdown at WOT but that seems to have somewhat fixed itself. It will kick down, but it's not as easy as it should be. 3 to 2 seems to go better than 2 to 1.

Starting in 1st gear, it will fairly quickly shift into 2nd. It doesn't go into 3rd until I move it in D. I thought it should stay in 1st but maybe I'm wrong.

Hot engine, about 100 rpm drop from P to D. I could see why IAC changed, not sure what's up with idle timing.

Check the video. This is how it runs, pedal to the floor from a stop. Pathetic  :lol:
It reads 70 mph at the end, but in reality it's doing about 62 on the GPS. I guess I need a new trans gear.

https://youtu.be/gaLJR5DOxzk?si=dyHQfPAx9sWHwh8D

metallicareload99

My fuel injection will add in timing to help maintain the set idle speed.

Is the throttle opening 100% using the pedal?

Watch your fuel gauge in the video :o
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Dino

I have one of the Tanks Inc tubular, floatless designs. It's supposed to prevent erratic needle movement and it's the complete opposite. The needle goes up and down every time you do any moderate acceleration, come to a stop, or take a turn. It goes back to where it belongs in 10-20 seconds. It's literally the worst sender I have ever seen.

Yes the throttle opens fully with the pedal down.

Dino

I can test the sprag with a stall test right? Put it in drive, hold the brake, and rev the engine? IF there is damage to the torque converter and I need to drop the trans, maybe I should just replace the whole thing. It's been in there for decades. What's a good torque converter for street driving?

b5blue

I use a Mopar Performance 145K. Perfect for my mild built 440 4BBL with a 3.23 rear.

Dino

That's what I have. I do have a 28" tall tire.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on September 06, 2024, 08:15:30 AMI can test the sprag with a stall test right? Put it in drive, hold the brake, and rev the engine?

Yes. These are the factory stall parameters:69  stall speeds.jpg

Dino

I just did the test and it only goes up to ~1750 rpm. Bad torque converter?

I forgot to mention, the engine is from a 1971 police car. I forget what year the transmission is. I'll run the numbers tomorrow. I have no clue what torque converter I have.

I looked up my cam on the Crower site and found this:

Aftermarket torque converter with slightly higher stall speed is recommended because stock factory converters do not allow the engine to provide adequate idle speed and off idle performance.

But then I found an old message from Firefighter Ron, who recommended the Crower 33240, snd he said the stock converter is around 1800 stall and eill work great with this cam.

Color me confused