News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a kickdown issue?

Started by Dino, August 27, 2024, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

Quote from: Dino on September 20, 2024, 10:18:10 PMHmmm the 200R4 ratios do look good. Not that I race the car, but can they stand up to a 440? With a 28" tall tire, I'd probably settle for a  gear in the 3.7 range. Fun in town and good ln long drives.

Extreme automatics has them in 3 different stages. You can pick whichever suites your application and/or pocketbook. I think their best unit is rated 1000hp/750tq. They have good reviews too. I'm planning on going with their middle rated unit for my 72 chevelle with a 383 sbc.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Dino

Oh gotcha. If I spend that kind of money I'd get a manual though. I may just get a stock 200R4 just for cruising around town in the meantime. The gear ratios do look better than the 700R4.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

I think the wide 1-2 gear spread in the 700R4 isn't the big issue it's made out to be. I've had two of them and, in normal driving, you don't notice it and at WOT 1-2 upshifts there's no noticeable bog if you have a modicum of horsepower. The deep 1st gear allows a lower numeric axle ratio without sacrificing the launch.

Same with the wide-ratio standard transmissions, the only time it's an issue is if your road racing and don't want a big rpm drop when shifting a lot.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

The 700R4 and the electronic version 4L60E are decent transmissions.
I had one in my 76 Camaro and my 84 Chevy C-10. Those two had mild engines so the gear spread wasn't an issue.
The manual transmissions with a wide spread like the 833 OD are a different matter.
3.09 to a 1.67 is a huge drop for a manual. I had one in a Duster with a 360 I built with a bit bigger cam. The ratio spread was not good. It felt like shifting from 1st to 3rd.