News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thinking about a fuel regulator...

Started by poppa, September 16, 2024, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

...just for the (?) cooling effect on the fuel system. Have a small 4.5-5 psi pum by the trunk with the mechanical one. Where would I put this and what psi do I set it at as to not affect psi to carbs (6 pak) ? At the end of the fuel rail? Front ? Thanks for looking
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

timmycharger

I was having fuel boiling issues on my 440 six pack a few years ago. I had a Holley electric pump with regulator set at 6PSI and no return line. 

My fix for this was to add a 1/4 return line that went from the six pack fuel rail back to the tank. None of my lines are factory, they are aluminum and -6 AN fittings. I also covered the lines in thermal wrap.

I now run just a Mallory electric pump with NO regulator with the return line. I have no further fuel boiling issues and without the regulator, it is about 7PSI. Been like this for 3 years w/o issues.

poppa

Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't that then starve the carbs? Or does the smaller return line keep enough for the carbs ?

b5blue

I ran my 6BBL for years with no return gimmick and a 12.00 auto part store brand pump. Have you the bigger tube pickup and line?

timmycharger

Lol return gimmick. Didn't Chrysler have them from the factory starting in 1970?   :smilielol:

No, my carbs are not starving, I have adjustable metering plates in the outboard carbs and jetted them up. The return line is only 1/4 vs the 3/8 regular line.

poppa

My 6 pak is mechanical.
B5 , bigger tube ?
Timmy , I have blocks. How much did you jet up ?
Thanks

timmycharger

Here is what I have in there now.  I had them much bigger in the outboards when I was racing it 25 years ago with open exhaust and race gas.

rear carb = 88/90

center carb = 86/86

front carb = 88/90

poppa

Wow. That's close to what was in mine until I changed them. No one would drive behind me as the smell was too much. But it went really good. I got 79 rear , 78 front and I think 69 in center. After I figure out this crap , I'll have to experiment . My center is 500cfm and the outs are the 350's .

b5blue

I used the factory 318 fuel line for a return and I think the line I added was 3/8. (It was 29 years ago.)