News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger white hat special???

Started by duo-stripe, May 31, 2006, 03:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duo-stripe

Hey,
Could someone help me with the next question; a friend of mine bought a 1968 Dodge Charger; 383 4 barrel, automatic, PP1 red exterior, white vinyl top, white interior, bench with separate backs and an armrest. Black carpet. Dual mirrors, the left one adjusted from the inside of the car.
Do you have any info on productionnumbers and/or pics of identical cars?
I will try to downsize a few pics and put them here!

Thank you,
the best, Marcel, the Netherlands
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

Just 6T9 CHGR

Marcel, the White Hat Special was a 1969 only sales pitch......

A 68 Charger registry is in the works...stay tuned!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 31, 2006, 05:12:55 PM

You are incorrect. The White Hat special was an option package in other years than 1969. I believe there was a white hat special package in 1968. My original 47000 mile 1968 has a white top and was at the time called a white hat special.

Also was a 1967 option. Read the paragraph near the end of this article.

http://www.wwnboa.org/6667c.htm
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

hemigeno

Smoke20

Quote from: whitehatspecial on May 31, 2006, 09:00:04 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 31, 2006, 05:12:55 PM

You are incorrect. The White Hat special was an option package in other years than 1969. I believe there was a white hat special package in 1968. My original 47000 mile 1968 has a white top and was at the time called a white hat special.

Also was a 1967 option. Read the paragraph near the end of this article.

I have a code book put out by Galen Govier saying the same as Chris about the "white hat special" being a 69 only package. I have seen a red 70 with the white top, so I don't know if was defined as being a WHS package with all of the other accessories with it, or if it was just the vinyl color.
Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

THE COLONEL

I was thinking it was just a sales pitch for the WHS in 1969, even though other years had them.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

DodgeChargerNeeded

My brother had a 69 White Hat Special and I've always heard that it was a 1969 sales pitch only. Just because it has a white top doesn't make it a "White Hat"
Jeff

Chris G.

Quote from: DodgeChargerNeeded on June 01, 2006, 01:38:33 PM
My brother had a 69 White Hat Special and I've always heard that it was a 1969 sales pitch only. Just because it has a white top doesn't make it a "White Hat"

:iagree:

Is there a code on the tag for this special, or was it a dealer offer only?

Troy

According to the Winged Warriors:
"Several special marketing campaigns were made available throughout the year to keep consumers interested in the Charger. On January 1, 1967, an optional "Birthday Outfit" was offered. This included a vinyl top, lower side stripes and special wheelcovers. In mid-year, the "White Hat Special" was announced. The "White Hat Special A" package included a black or white vinyl top, white sidewall tires, deep dish wheel covers, power steering and a console or center cushion and was priced at $133.30. The "White Hat Special Package B" included all of the items in Package A except for the vinyl top. It was priced at $88.15."

As far as I know, there was no code on the tag before 1969 but I don't believe they were dealer promotions only.

1967 Coronet White Hat Special Ad:
http://www.adclassix.com/ads/67dodgecoronet440.htm
(There are similar ads for 68 Coronets as well but I only found ones on eBay.)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JimShine

tan top

Quote from: Troy on June 01, 2006, 03:17:40 PM
According to the Winged Warriors:
"Several special marketing campaigns were made available throughout the year to keep consumers interested in the Charger. On January 1, 1967, an optional "Birthday Outfit" was offered. This included a vinyl top, lower side stripes and special wheelcovers. In mid-year, the "White Hat Special" was announced. The "White Hat Special A" package included a black or white vinyl top, white sidewall tires, deep dish wheel covers, power steering and a console or center cushion and was priced at $133.30. The "White Hat Special Package B" included all of the items in Package A except for the vinyl top. It was priced at $88.15."

As far as I know, there was no code on the tag before 1969 but I don't believe they were dealer promotions only.

1967 Coronet White Hat Special Ad:
http://www.adclassix.com/ads/67dodgecoronet440.htm
(There are similar ads for 68 Coronets as well but I only found ones on eBay.)

Troy

i don t know weather i am remebering this correctly but i i think i read some thing  years a go about white hat specials came with white headlining for the 68 model can't be sure though :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

The code for 69 on the tag was A41 for the WHS......could get any top color as well....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

duo-stripe

I will see into the fendertag this weekend and put the specs on here.
Guys, thanks for the info at this point; maybe gonna meet some of you guys on the DodgeChargerRegistry meeting in Jefferson City? I'll be arriving there the 30th in the afternoon.
Marcel

Ghoste

If you check Galen's 66-68 code book, you will find that it also lists a code (350) for the White Hat Special Package.  I can also show you a magazine advertisement that Dodge ran promoting the White Hats for 67 featuring a large picture of a Coronet with Dick Landy appearing to be trying to sell the car to a young couple.  His 67 Super Stocker is in the background under a Carlsbad Dragway banner.  There is an inset photo on the same for a 67 Charger White Hat.  I can also show you a copy of the 1967 dealer information guide on the White Hat Special Package and how to order it for the Coronet or Charger.

69_500

I thought the White Hat was an option every year through 70. I do know that just because a car has a white vinyl top doesn't mean it is a white hat special. Also Chris is correct in that in 69 you could get a white hat special in any color vinyl top. I hadn't read the information before about in 67 getting a white hat car without a vinyl top. That to me is interesting.

Ghoste

You're right.  The White Hats were a package and the package changed around a little from car to car and year to year.  Have you heard of any Dodge trucks with the White Hat package?   I've heard of it but I've never seen one or any evidence that it exists outside of a couple of people telling me so.  I remain a skeptic on the truck for now.

Chris G.

I was a '69 only believer, but that's pretty interesting info you guys have posted about previous year cars. Is it possible that it was only available for certain cars (Coronet, Monaco, etc)? Does it add value to the car? 

As far as it being around in 1970...not a chance. It ended in 1969.

Ghoste

Good question.  It relatively unknown as an available package so I would think that any added value would be small.  In my case, since so few 1st gens were produced with vinyl tops, that portion of the package adds to the car but I don't think any more than it would as a stand alone option.

Lizzy

The pictures  :icon_smile_big:

Don't know for sure, but I think the fendertag says

h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built

H1: Power Brakes
R1: AM Radio
X3: ?
Y7: White Vinyl Top

2 5: Drip Rail Mouldings
3 0: Body Belt Mouldings
7 8: Wheel Lip Mouldings

AXLE: 4:  3.23 Rear Axle Ratio

INTERIOR: D6W: Deluxe Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.

PAINT: PP1:  Monotone Red Paint.

XP29 62 5 33 125 200515
062   383-4bbl Engine
5   Transmission: Automatic Torqueflite
033   7.35 x 14 WSW Tires

(VIN XP29H8B269840)

It's not really important whether it's a White hat special or not, but I was asking myself this question, since the '69 White h s included a vinyl top, remote mirrors, white wall tires and hood mounted signals and this Charger has these options...

262chargers

Heres a 68 Coronet sales ad for the "White Hat Special", which includes-
Front & rear bumper gaurds
Whitewall tires
Deluxe wheel covers
Vinyl roof in black, white or green, or standard top
Bright belt mouldings (2 door hardtop only)
Bright wheel lip mouldings
Fender mounted turn signals

Sorry about the quality, its a picture, my scanner is down  :icon_smile_dead:

69_500

I haven't ever seen the White Hat on a truck, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it. There is a lot I haven't seen.

Then agian I also don't think that I've ever seen a White Hat special car advertised for more money than one that isn't. Its not a performance option that adds value but I guess to some people it might.

Ghoste

It could depend on the year as well.  I have seen the White Hat and the Birthday Package for the 67 models advertised at a little more but as I said, I'm not sure if the packages made it any more attractive to prospective buyers than the vinyl could as a stand alone feature.

duo-stripe

some more pics!
Me fixin'the carb

duo-stripe

some more....
including a pic of MoPargirl!

hemi68charger

Well Hello Lizzy...............

I'm glad you have Marcel now.. I was starting to worry about food here at the house and the funny ways he was looking at my Charger parts...... Funny looks aren't bad, as long as he's doing them in your direction.......     :icon_smile_big:

nice '68 there.......... 

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

duo-stripe

Hey boy!
thanks for that T! And nooooo I didn't steal any hemi-parts from your garage...nooo  ;)

Marcel

Brock Samson

Lizzy

Troy... Watch out with Marcel... before you know it, he steals all your parts and stuffs 'em in that big black suitcase ...    :icon_smile_evil:
By the way... did he steal that carb from you?  :icon_smile_wink:
No, he had a great time over there... nice to see the pictures and the film he made! Some great cars you have in the USA... can I come too next year?  :lol:

Glad you like my car... I like her too... very much...  :drool5:   '68 rules...  ;D 

duo-stripe

thanks honey...for makin' me look like some kinda Al Capone.. ( Troy...i DID behave good didn't I?  :-\ )
It was a perfect holiday indeed....but Troy...next year I won't be coming alone!

Lizzy

Not only a Capone... also a Don Juan... who's going with you then?  :flame:

duo-stripe

eehm......honey...I was only thinking of you.....otherwise I have to look at the moon alone... :'(

Ghoste

Lizzy

Alaskan_TA

Ad for 1969 Charger White Hat Special;

Brock Samson

ok i was confused..
again  :P

nice lookin ride,.. i'd drive it as it is..

duo-stripe

it'll stay as it is for now....But as it isn't the original paint anymore it will be painted again in the nearby future. But first fix it technically and drive it!

69 Charger SE

This topic has been interesting.  My 69 was built in August of 68 and it came with the White viynal top, the deep dish wheel covers, the white wall tires which were all considered a part of the A41 White Hat special.  However my car was not badged as an A41 (not sure if they did this later in the build year or not).  The other side of it is - my car is an SE which came with all those options also.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Chris G. on June 01, 2006, 01:54:38 PM
Quote from: DodgeChargerNeeded on June 01, 2006, 01:38:33 PM

:iagree:

Is there a code on the tag for this special, or was it a dealer offer only?

I'll jump on an old thread too...

I'm not sure about the tag but I don't think it was coded.  I can find a spot on a 68 BS for the 350 code but I don't see where it would be coded on a 67 sheet. Possibly window sitcker only in 67?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

67 should be the same code as for 68 on the BS.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 28, 2006, 03:52:07 AM
67 should be the same code as for 68 on the BS.

Ghoste, I wrote I can't find a place for the 350 code on the '67 BS. There is a 35- box available on the 68 sheet under SPL. PKGS. for the code. Where on the '67 BS would it be coded?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.